Carlos Rodon prospect watch

Feeky Magee

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The 815 @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
Can someone explain how his arbitration clock would work if he came up in September? I don't know when time starts and what "super-2's" are and so on. That would be good to know before my opinion is "why start his clock so early, just wait till next year."

I think a lot of people get confused on this so you're not alone. His service time starts as soon as he is called up to the majors. A player is eligible for arbitration after he has 3 years of service time and is eligible for free agency after 6 years of service time. The "super 2" stipulation allows for a player to be arbitration eligible after 2 years of service time if they rank in the top 22% in terms of serivce time amongst all players with more than 2 and less than 3 years of service time. This allows the player to have 4 arbitration seasons but does not change the year they become free agent eligible.

Here are some examples of what they could do with Rodon:

If the Sox plan on having him on the opening day roster next year, which I wouldn't be surprised, his service time from this year would mean nothing. He would be eligible for arbitration in 2018 and free agent eligible in 2021.

If the Sox do not plan on having him on the opening day roster next year, but do call him up this September, they would have to wait until some time in August to prevent Super 2 status. If he was awarded Super 2 status, he would be arbitration eligible in 2018 and free agent eligible in 2022.

If they do not call him up in September and wait for the Super 2 date to pass next year (usually around July), then he would be arbitration eligible in 2019 and free agent eligible in 2022.

I think the Sox best option would be to bring him up in September to get his feet wet and then have him on the opening day roster next year if they feel he is ready. This would give him a good chance to learn through his rookie season and give the Sox a better chance to compete when they should be ready in 2016. If he ends up being good right off the bat, they will probably have a chance to be competitive in 2015.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

Rodon's stuff looks sensational in the little bit I have seen so far. He also looks like a badass on the mound. He strikes guys out and just stares them down at times it seems. It can turn some people off but he's going to be so fun to have in the organization. Below is some video taken by Josh Norris and an article by Dan Hayes with quotes from Nick Capra.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...-exciting-watch

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 4, 2014 -> 08:17 PM)
Rodon's stuff looks sensational in the little bit I have seen so far. He also looks like a badass on the mound. He strikes guys out and just stares them down at times it seems. It can turn some people off but he's going to be so fun to have in the organization. Below is some video taken by Josh Norris and an article by Dan Hayes with quotes from Nick Capra.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...-exciting-watch

The next big thing is here!

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 14, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
I would prefer he not be called up at the end of this season. Let him start fresh in Spring Training and fit him into the rotation for 2015

That's pushing it a bit. If he does well in the AFL he'll enter 2015 in 'Zona with "a chance to make the rotation" which in reality means he just has a chance to stay an extra week before heading to AA. If he does well in Birmingham he'll either join the Sox or get a bit more seasoning in Charlotte before a late season call up. And IMO as talented as he is even that's pushing it. I don't really think they want to use him out of the bullpen on a team out of contention and that's likely the case next year so they might just say screw wait until '16 and unless he's putting up historical numbers in MiLB I don't have much quibble with that plan -- there is no rush.

Since we have like 4 threads about Rodon, I guess I'll just reiterate here....

I hope Rodon does NOT make any appearances with the Sox this season. I want him in a Sox uni no earlier than April of next year, but I PREFER he get his chance in June of next year when Super 2 passes. He should finish the year in AA, and then start next year in either AA or AAA until June.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 02:27 AM)
Since we have like 4 threads about Rodon, I guess I'll just reiterate here....

I hope Rodon does NOT make any appearances with the Sox this season. I want him in a Sox uni no earlier than April of next year, but I PREFER he get his chance in June of next year when Super 2 passes. He should finish the year in AA, and then start next year in either AA or AAA until June.

If hes ready to start, I want to see him up. Ill worry about 2020 when its 2020. Flip side of that, if they are just going to have him throw 20 innings out of the bullpen then no id rather him continue to pitch in the minors. Hes most likely already our third, if not second best starter, in the organization so he needs to be in the rotation on opening day next year if the team is serious about competing.

I think they are going to spend some money in the off season, and wouldn't be shocked to see this team compete for at least a wild card.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
Leave him down. It isn't worth wasting a year of service to have him pitch on this team. If you want him to get more innings, send him to AFL or the winter leagues.

If they are willing to call him at the end of this year, then I assume that means they are going to want him on the opening day roster next year. If that is the case, his pitching in September really does not cost the Sox any service time.

Leave him down. It isn't worth wasting a year of service to have him pitch on this team. If you want him to get more innings, send him to AFL or the winter leagues.

I agree with this. And quite frankly, he should start 2015 in AA with a likely call-up in May. This would essentially give us an extra 5 months of team control or nearly 7 years in total. Given that Boras is his agent, we need operate under the assumption that Rodon will be testing free agency as soon as he has an opportunity. That means maximizing service time, I'm much less concerned about Super 2 status.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 15, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
If they are willing to call him at the end of this year, then I assume that means they are going to want him on the opening day roster next year. If that is the case, his pitching in September really does not cost the Sox any service time.

That's what I thought too, but now people are saying we burn a whole year of service time just for a September call up. I'm confused.

I know we all don't want to rush him but he might be THAT good already. If he's a lock for the 2015 team then call him up!

When does service time begin? I always thought it was after June 1st. Is that not correct?

I would not call him up this year, and actually, would try to get him some additional rest.

Next year, I don't think he'll make the team out of spring training because this is a business and Boras is his agent. There's no Chris Sale deal to be had, so that extra year is something the White Sox will want to not lose. They can't say that of course.

I think they enter the off-season looking like this: 1) Sale 2) Quintana 3) TBD 4) TBD 5) Danks

Rodon could eventually fill one of these spots, but it may not be for the first few months of the season. They do need to find a veteran to plug into the middle of this rotation, but given the upside of Rodon, and the hope that he'd be a #2 or #3 type starter fairly quickly, I hope they will look more for an overlooked veteran innings eater who is solid, but won't cost a ton.

IF they bring Rodon to the big club in Sept, the Plan will be to have him on the OD roster, or very soon thereafter, so it will be irrelevant. If they don't bring him up this year, more strategy could be involved.

I have a feeling, that with Sale and Abreu comprising the cream of an at-peak core, the future is now, and Rodon's ascension to the 2015 rotation will be part of this philosophy.