Is Ventura the worst manager in the history of MLB?

sin city sox fan

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
By and large I think Robin's done ok, certainly not great, with what he's had to work with. But if San Diego let's Bud Black go, I'd snap him up in a heartbeat.

Can we get San Diegos bullpen and their league leading 2,32 ERA to come with him?

How come he's only been over .500 in 2 of his 8 years and currently has a worse record than the Sox? Soxtalk would probably make this same thread and call for his head.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Maddon chose to try to get Rizzo out with the lefty vs. lefty match-up and it blew up in his face.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to dispute that this actually happened. You see, only our manager is THE WORST and nothing like that could happen to any other team. When our manager does something like that I carry it around in the pit of my stomach for days and go on angry online tirades about how I knew that would happen. If, and I'm saying IF that were to happen to another team like you describe here with Maddon, I would forget about it by the time I changed the channel and I would wish that the manager who did it was the manager of my team. I do all of this because I am smart at baseball.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to dispute that this actually happened. You see, only our manager is THE WORST and nothing like that could happen to any other team. When our manager does something like that I carry it around in the pit of my stomach for days and go on angry online tirades about how I knew that would happen. If, and I'm saying IF that were to happen to another team like you describe here with Maddon, I would forget about it by the time I changed the channel and I would wish that the manager who did it was the manager of my team. I do all of this because I am smart at baseball.

We can't get a high draft pick if we win. So keep it up Robin.

Ventura before the game: "I know you guys want to play hard, win jobs, and millions of dollars, but I beg you DON'T DO IT! For the love of God, just keep tanking on purpose. I really like this kid in the draft next year, and I want to get him, so that eventually he can take your jobs because you all suck. Ok so, tonight, if it is close, I am going to run the worst of you out there to ensure we don't have any extra added pressure on us. I mean really, who wants high expectations of us? I know I don't. Oh and can someone translate for that Abreu dude? He has really been pissing me off with those triple crown type numbers. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to figure out how to get the vertigo thing from Cooper to Sale."

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
This thread just makes me more excited for the (hopefully) massive turnover from this year to the next. With that in mind, I've only read about 10% of the posts in this thread.

According to some, that's the same amount of attention to detail Ventura shows for statistical analysis of other teams and individual match-ups.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 07:38 PM)
(Rimshot)

I say we replace RV w John Farrell. 2 seasons managing Toronto and 2-- 4th place finishes w a .475 percentage. Red Sox trade for him and he goes 97-65 and wins the World Series. Brings back the same team minus Ellsbury and the team totally collapses. Does that resume make him a good or bad manager????

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Ventura before the game: "I know you guys want to play hard, win jobs, and millions of dollars, but I beg you DON'T DO IT! For the love of God, just keep tanking on purpose. I really like this kid in the draft next year, and I want to get him, so that eventually he can take your jobs because you all suck. Ok so, tonight, if it is close, I am going to run the worst of you out there to ensure we don't have any extra added pressure on us. I mean really, who wants high expectations of us? I know I don't. Oh and can someone translate for that Abreu dude? He has really been pissing me off with those triple crown type numbers. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to figure out how to get the vertigo thing from Cooper to Sale."

:lolhitting Well at least the bullpen gets it.

From what little I've seen on this team, players are either really good or really bad. There is little or no middle.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
I don't remember the exact numbers, but the difference between the least optimized lineup and the most optimized lineup is like 20-30 runs, which is 2-3 wins in a context neutral setting, and much of that difference can be cancelled out by dumb luck, which you cannot control for in any setting.

And I believe that is almost always the difference. If you have good hitters, you'll score runs no matter how the lineup is set, and if you have bad hitters, you won't score runs, no matter how the lineup is set.

Am I the only one a bit disturbed by the fact it took much statistical analysis of lineups for this to be proven?

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
Am I the only one a bit disturbed by the fact it took much statistical analysis of lineups for this to be proven?

Yes, you are. Why wouldn't managers want to know if optimizing their lineup could help them get significantly more out of their players?

Another bonehead move by Robin Ventura last night: the team didn't even play! You want to talk about ruining everything? By neither winning nor losing, RV somehow blew a chance to (1) get a game closer in the 2nd wild card and (2) improve the Sox' draft pick next year. At this point, Juan Pierre would be a better choice as manager.

#FIREROBIN #WORSTMANAGERINHISTORYOFBASEBALL #FIRSTPLACEUNDERADIFFERENTMANAGER #LASTPLACEUNDERADIFFERENTMANAGER

I love people are now being sarcastic with their "Robin is so bad" jokes that they're almost implying that he isn't bad. I'm not sure what games you guys are watching, but the dude is clearly a bad in-game manager. I'm not holding the lack of talent against him and I'm sure as hell not going with the ridiculous Balta argument that a lack of fundamentals in spring training carried over the entire season. He simply makes bad decisions on a regular basis. I'm not going to provide a bunch of examples either, although I'm sure Dick Allen will request.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
I love people are now being sarcastic with their "Robin is so bad" jokes that they're almost implying that he isn't bad. I'm not sure what games you guys are watching, but the dude is clearly a bad in-game manager. I'm not holding the lack of talent against him and I'm sure as hell not going with the ridiculous Balta argument that a lack of fundamentals in spring training carried over the entire season. He simply makes bad decisions on a regular basis. I'm not going to provide a bunch of examples either, although I'm sure Dick Allen will request.

Robin might be worse than average, but let's be honest, this isn't a thread about him being anywhere in the realm of acceptable: this is the thread called "Is Robin the Worst Manager in the HISTORY of MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL?" and it includes several examples of posters claiming that, with a better manager, our team would be in FIRST PLACE. It includes several other references claiming that, with a different manager, our team would be a shoe-in for one of the Wild Card berths. It has posters honestly watching games, looking at the roster, and claiming that a different manager would be able to coax OUR BULLPEN into success. It has posters blaming defensive errors on Robin Ventura, poorly executed bunts on Robin Ventura, the role of freaking Paul Konerko on Robin Ventura. It has poster blaming the entirety of the person named ALEJANDRO DE AZA on Robin Ventura.

That's what this thread is. And this thread is a joke.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
Robin might be worse than average, but let's be honest, this isn't a thread about him being anywhere in the realm of acceptable: this is the thread called "Is Robin the Worst Manager in the HISTORY of MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL?" and it includes several examples of posters claiming that, with a better manager, our team would be in FIRST PLACE. It includes several other references claiming that, with a different manager, our team would be a shoe-in for one of the Wild Card berths. It has posters honestly watching games, looking at the roster, and claiming that a different manager would be able to coax OUR BULLPEN into success. It has posters blaming defensive errors on Robin Ventura, poorly executed bunts on Robin Ventura, the role of freaking Paul Konerko on Robin Ventura. It has poster blaming the entirety of the person named ALEJANDRO DE AZA on Robin Ventura.

golf clap

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 07:24 AM)

Of course it's ridiculous because it was started by sin city sox fan who is a legitimate and blatant troll. He's been doing this same s*** for years and it's beyond amazing to me that no one realizes it. Not even the biggest Robin haters would think he's cost us anywhere near 20 games. This is all part of his act and it's crazy that it's still working.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)

*YOUDAMAN!

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 06:25 AM)
Another bonehead move by Robin Ventura last night: the team didn't even play! You want to talk about ruining everything? By neither winning nor losing, RV somehow blew a chance to (1) get a game closer in the 2nd wild card and (2) improve the Sox' draft pick next year. At this point, Juan Pierre would be a better choice as manager.

#FIREROBIN #WORSTMANAGERINHISTORYOFBASEBALL #FIRSTPLACEUNDERADIFFERENTMANAGER #LASTPLACEUNDERADIFFERENTMANAGER

Just percentage points ahead of the suddenly-hot Padres...nipping at the heels of the 9th pick now, while officially in 10th (one game ahead of the Mets).

#changeyourgmteamwillexceltoimpresshim

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 06:24 AM)

It amazes me that intelligent posters are so gullible, constantly arguing with the people who take the most ridiculous stances and make the most over the top statements.

I could understand if they made points where you could make a counterpoint. But the hook is just thrown in the water without bait and so many people bite on it.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
It amazes me that intelligent posters are so gullible, constantly arguing with the people who take the most ridiculous stances and make the most over the top statements.

I could understand if they made points where you could make a counterpoint. But the hook is just thrown in the water without bait and so many people bite on it.

Well, I think you just made a pretty good description of what a message board is on a very basic level. So maybe none of us are that smart to begin with :P

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)
Yes, you are. Why wouldn't managers want to know if optimizing their lineup could help them get significantly more out of their players?

Excuse me, where did I say any of that?

I was just saying it shouldn't take gigabytes of data to prove something as simple as good offensive players will score runs and bad ones won't.

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Excuse me, where did I say any of that?

I was just saying it shouldn't take gigabytes of data to prove something as simple as good offensive players will score runs and bad ones won't.

Right, but people on here are upset and swear that if Robin constructed the lineup differently, the Sox would score a ton more runs. That's simply not true. Or they suggest it's a giant travesty that's costing the Sox a ton of runs when he has certain players (say, having someone like Leury Garcia leading off). It's really not. That's what I was getting at.