Is Ventura the worst manager in the history of MLB?

sin city sox fan

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Terry Bevington was worse.

I will need some help here. was it Bevington that told ozzie to control his kids in the clubhouse after

a loss. ozzie took exceptions to it.

Is Robin going to do anything about this bullpen situation? Or just allow the implosion to continue for the rest of the season?

Bring in a hypnotist. Try accupuncture. How about a colon cleansing for the staff? These ideas may seem ridiculous, but doing nothing seems even more ridiculous to me.

Heck, I'd even rather try and and have all the righties throw with their left hands. At least they'd have a valid reason for failure at that point and could maybe realize their potential when switching back to normal.

Robin acts like this is no big deal and just continue to trot out a new arm every out or two. If we're going to have a POS for our manager, get rid of Ventura and give the job to Mr Hankey. He'd likely command more respect from the players in our dugout.

mrhankeythechristmaspoo.png

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 12:14 AM)
Is Robin going to do anything about this bullpen situation? Or just allow the implosion to continue for the rest of the season?

Bring in a hypnotist. Try accupuncture. How about a colon cleansing for the staff? These ideas may seem ridiculous, but doing nothing seems even more ridiculous to me.

Heck, I'd even rather try and and have all the righties throw with their left hands. At least they'd have a valid reason for failure at that point and could maybe realize their potential when switching back to normal.

Robin acts like this is no big deal and just continue to trot out a new arm every out or two. If we're going to have a POS for our manager, get rid of Ventura and give the job to Mr Hankey. He'd likely command more respect from the players in our dugout.

What would you have him do, take over Hahn's job and start making more waiver claims of overpriced relief pitchers?

The fact that Rienzo was left by Hahn in the bullpen for so long tells you everything you need to know about our lack of relief pitching depth in the minors right now.

Taylor Thompson's the answer? Donnie Veal? Leesman? Axelrod? Surkamp? Guerra? Boggs? Paulino?

Nobody believes that...especially not Hahn.

They just have to take their lumps.

I'm sure that Ventura will be questioned every time he uses Cleto, but watching the bullpen the last 4-6 weeks, it's become much bigger than Robin.

If you want to blame anything, maybe you should look no farther than the absence of Don Cooper and the seeming effect it has had on the results of the entire pitching staff.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 01:22 AM)
What would you have him do, take over Hahn's job and start making more waiver claims of overpriced relief pitchers?

The fact that Rienzo was left by Hahn in the bullpen for so long tells you everything you need to know about our lack of relief pitching depth in the minors right now.

Taylor Thompson's the answer? Donnie Veal? Leesman? Axelrod? Surkamp? Guerra? Boggs? Paulino?

Nobody believes that...especially not Hahn.

They just have to take their lumps.

I'm sure that Ventura will be questioned every time he uses Cleto, but watching the bullpen the last 4-6 weeks, it's become much bigger than Robin.

If you want to blame anything, maybe you should look no farther than the absence of Don Cooper and the seeming effect it has had on the results of the entire pitching staff.

Can you explain to me if it is because of Don Cooper, how the pitching staff had a great road trip when he was gone, taking 3 of 4 in Minneapolis and 2 of 3 in Detroit, team ERA near 3.00 on the trip,and then imploded when Copper returned? The legend of Don Cooper has taken new heights. The bullpen gives up runs because of his absense, even though they gave up just as many when he was in the dugout.

Coop came back for the Minnesota series and left right before the first game against Texas. The team gave up 8,8, and 16 runs the 3 games he was back.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 04:17 AM)
Can you explain to me if it is because of Don Cooper, how the pitching staff had a great road trip when he was gone, taking 3 of 4 in Minneapolis and 2 of 3 in Detroit, team ERA near 3.00 on the trip,and then imploded when Copper returned? The legend of Don Cooper has taken new heights. The bullpen gives up runs because of his absense, even though they gave up just as many when he was in the dugout.

Coop came back for the Minnesota series and left right before the first game against Texas. The team gave up 8,8, and 16 runs the 3 games he was back.

Almost half of it was Hahn not sending Rienzo to the minors sooner.

Well, let's be honest.

Out of all the pitchers who have come out of our bullpen this year, how many of them really belong in the major leagues, at least right now, at this exact moment in time?

1) Putnam (if healthy)

2) Petricka (although he still has to show he can repeat, Nathan Jones wasn't as good his second year)

Webb should be in AAA for at least 2-3 months.

Belisario might have been solid had he never been moved to the closer role, but we'll never know the answer to that question.

You could make an argument for Guerra, but there's 3-5 bullpen pieces that should be switched out before next season, arguably.

The worst thing about Robin, IMO, is that he doesn't signal for the homerun nearly often enough.

We all complain about the bullpen a lot, but how many games has the bullpen blown that couldn't have been salvaged if Robin just had his guys hit a few homeruns the next inning? It makes. No. SENSE! It's like he's not paying attention to the score.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 01:14 AM)

Maybe the pitchers should just pitch better. Maybe he should have better pitchers. That would fall on Hahn though, and not Robin, so it doesn't fit your agenda.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 07:13 AM)
The worst thing about Robin, IMO, is that he doesn't signal for the homerun nearly often enough.

We all complain about the bullpen a lot, but how many games has the bullpen blown that couldn't have been salvaged if Robin just had his guys hit a few homeruns the next inning? It makes. No. SENSE! It's like he's not paying attention to the score.

:lol:

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 07:13 AM)

At the very minimum, he should talk to the other manager and ask if they'll take it easy on them. I mean, how hard is that?

"Hey throw us a few meatballs and we'll do the same (crosses fingers)"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
At the very minimum, he should talk to the other manager and ask if they'll take it easy on them. I mean, how hard is that?

"Hey throw us a few meatballs and we'll do the same (crosses fingers)"

Problem is, the Sox have been throwing them meatballs either way, so it's not easy to convince the other manager to do the same.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)

I have never thought of it this way. Last night as I was watching the Sox and Mariners I realized Ventura is making signals but our pitchers think RV means THEY are supposed to give up the homers. The proof is in the fact they gave up 4 homers to a team that is a notoriously weak hitting one. It is so simple. It's all a miscommunication issue

This thread is ridiculously long.

I just have a question for all of those posters here who would defend Robin Ventura as the White Sox manager.

What do you see as Robin Ventura's strengths as a manager? What is he bringing to the table that is helping the White Sox win ballgames?

No manager is perfect. All of them have flaws. But they've got to have enough strengths to overcome those flaws. What are they in Robin's case?

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)

I just have a question for all of those posters here who would defend Robin Ventura as the White Sox manager.

What do you see as Robin Ventura's strengths as a manager? What is he bringing to the table that is helping the White Sox win ballgames?

No manager is perfect. All of them have flaws. But they've got to have enough strengths to overcome those flaws. What are they in Robin's case?

His players respect him. His "strategy" isn't nearly as bad as some advertise. When you don't have benefit of hindsight, the moves he was "supposed" to make don't always work out, and the "stupid" moves he makes often do work out and are called lucky. For some, he is wrong even if he is correct. And just like the made up Greg Walker philosophy of lift and pull, the lack of fire and passion Robin supposedly has is totally false. He isn't Ditka, which apparently is the model Chicagoans believe to be the best model, yet no one wants to work or play under that kind of buffoon. Robin keeps White Sox business in house. I don't always agree with every move he makes, every line-up he makes out, but you look at the talent level. At some point this year the Sox absolutely needed a new C,2B, LF, RF,DH, a totally different bench, the SS needed to be traded. The 3 positions people have been happy with 1B, 3B, and CF all spent time on the DL. Only one AL team has a higher team ERA, yet, the team is damn near .500. I cannot believe that could possibly mean the manager was horrible too.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 11:30 PM)

you don't make a move b/c you can or your fans expect you to. the sox org should make the move if

it is the right thing to do. regardless what we the fan thinks. he is learning, ok he is doing ojt but the sox

is not ready to contend.

let me ask you this, what is it of RV that has you so determine to move him. the team is not yet ready.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)

What exactly is a strength for any coach?