Realistic 2015 Lineup

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)
If you're going to say Q is worthy of going to the ballpark, then so is Arrieta. He would be 4th in the majors in ERA if he qualified.

Just noticed that.

I'd say to Cubs' fans, Alcantara is just as exciting as Eaton is to Sox fans, plus he's a rookie.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
Do people still think Leury Garcia is worthy of a roster spot for next year? .182/.216/.236. You just can't carry that from someone who's not a pitcher.

Eh, for the 25th man you need a guy that can play multiple positions. It's unfortunate he's had to play as much as he has due to injuries. If an upgrade is there to be made make it, otherwise bigger fish to fry.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
Do people still think Leury Garcia is worthy of a roster spot for next year? .182/.216/.236. You just can't carry that from someone who's not a pitcher.

I think he has been rushed through the Minors. He is a valuable asset as a versatile defender and runner, but he seriously can't hit a lick. On a good team, I think he has value. On a bad team where he has to play more often, his inability to hit really shows.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)

Not with the amount of middle infield depth the White Sox appear to have. The only reason why it made sense to carry him this year was that we insisted we needed to carry an extra backup DH and that left us needing a very flexible utility guy. Leury really should have been in AAA this year if there was room and you could make a case for AA.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)

Again he has hardly played. Just 7 or 8 more hits and you would stop picking on him. They want him to bunt more and use his speed, but because of his versatility, speed defensive profile he looks like a guy who should be fine at the end of the bench. I would imagine he will play winter ball and work on his offense.

It is another case of if he is the biggest problem on the 2015 roster, the White Sox should be in great shape.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
Again he has hardly played. Just 7 or 8 more hits and you would stop picking on him. They want him to bunt more and use his speed, but because of his versatility, speed defensive profile he looks like a guy who should be fine at the end of the bench. I would imagine he will play winter ball and work on his offense.

It is another case of if he is the biggest problem on the 2015 roster, the White Sox should be in great shape.

Or six hits by Gordon Beckham.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:29 PM)
Well, Arrieta just got Coors'd :)

Maybe we need to liberate a pitcher from Coors.

On the other hand, we temporarily can't use the Cooper will fix 'em trademarked comment.

Arrieta's at 2.71 now for ERA.

Jinxed.

And runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs are his property.

Might as well trade Tulo now, Rockies...you're never going to get a better return. (Which will take either the Yankees or the Dodgers out of the Alexei Ramirez bidding.)

Edited by caulfield12

CF - Eaton

2b - Semien (until Micah is ready)

1b - Abreu

DH - Victor Martinez

RF - Avi

3b - Gillaspie/Beckham platoon 902/829 OPS

SS - Alexie

LF - De Aza

C - Flowers

vs lefties the platoon moves down to 8

Bench

Sanchez, Wilkins, Nieto, Sierra

SP

Sale, Shields, Q, Danks, Noesi

RP

Petricka, Putnam, Webb, Surkamp, Guerra, FA or trade for a real lefty

Sign Victor and Shields, I cant really predict trades but maybe a deal for a bullpen arm or two

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)

I'd like to see him get consistent at-bats for year before I write him off, because he's the best defensive option we currently have when we say goodbye to Alexei. He's never going to be a GOOD hitter, but he could be a nice player by just not being terrible. And it sure is hard to get a groove going when you play infrequently, especially when your skills are fringey to begin with.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
I like the Martin idea (as well as the deal for Salty option Roostifer considered before) as far as a shorter term stopgap. But I hate the idea of trading one of our best pieces in Alexei for a C prospect. C prospects bust at an incredible rate. I want to get someone else's proven player. And really look arond the league, you don't need an ideal type of C to win ballgames. The A's didn't spend a lot acquiring a C, the Jays signed Navarro for free as did the Rays and Cubs before, etc. We need to get a SP, LH bat, or an MLB ready SS out of Alexei. Or if it is a RH bat then it needs to be a damn good one in terms of potential. The LH bat is our biggest need.

The A's are exploding with catchers.

Sox should acquire one of them.

Norris

Jaso

Vogt

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 03:04 AM)

I am split on this. he is really valuable as the clubhouse jokester and can provide a lot of humor around.

but his baseball tools, ???? I don't know.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
As much as I'd love to sign Victor, it definitely sounds like he wants to re-sign with Detroit.

Not just that, it appears likely the Tigers will offer him a 1 year qualifying offer which would mean that the White Sox would likely forfeit their first round draft pick on a guy who would be here for 1-2 years, which would be a terrible move.

Sign Brandon McCarthy 3yrs 30 million

Sign Jonny Gomes 2 yrs 14 million

Acquire/sign Gerardo Parra (if non tendered) 1 yr 5 million w/ club option

Sign Michael Cuddyer 2 yr 20 million

RH relief pitcher

LH relief pitcher

vs. RHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Parra LF

3. Cuddyer DH

4. Abreu 1B

5. Avi Garcia RF

6. Conor Gillaspie 3B

7. Alexei Ramirez SS

8. Marcus Semien/Micah Johnson 2B

9. Tyler Flowers C

vs LHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Alexei SS

3.Cuddyer DH/LF

4. Abreu 1B

5. Avi Garcia

6. Jonny Gomes LF/DH

7. Beckham 3B

8. Semien/Micah 2B

9. Flowers C

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. McCarthy

4. Danks

5. Noesi/Erik Johnson/Rodon

Like the idea of Beckham platooning with Conor. Like LF platoon too.McCarthy would be a nice add. Also, does anyone think the Halos would do a Danks-CJ Wilson swap straight up? CJ has struggled this year, but I think he has more upside than Danks. We could try and sell the fact that Danks is younger and a little cheaper. Just a thought.

QUOTE (professa @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
Sign Brandon McCarthy 3yrs 30 million

Sign Jonny Gomes 2 yrs 14 million

Acquire/sign Gerardo Parra (if non tendered) 1 yr 5 million w/ club option

Sign Michael Cuddyer 2 yr 20 million

RH relief pitcher

LH relief pitcher

vs. RHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Parra LF

3. Cuddyer DH

4. Abreu 1B

5. Avi Garcia RF

6. Conor Gillaspie 3B

7. Alexei Ramirez SS

8. Marcus Semien/Micah Johnson 2B

9. Tyler Flowers C

vs LHP

1. Eaton CF

2. Alexei SS

3.Cuddyer DH/LF

4. Abreu 1B

5. Avi Garcia

6. Jonny Gomes LF/DH

7. Beckham 3B

8. Semien/Micah 2B

9. Flowers C

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. McCarthy

4. Danks

5. Noesi/Erik Johnson/Rodon

Like the idea of Beckham platooning with Conor. Like LF platoon too.McCarthy would be a nice add. Also, does anyone think the Halos would do a Danks-CJ Wilson swap straight up? CJ has struggled this year, but I think he has more upside than Danks. We could try and sell the fact that Danks is younger and a little cheaper. Just a thought.

I think Micah wouldn't need a platoon partner. Not that I think he'll have these exact splits in the Majors, but he hits pretty well against both RHP and LHP. (.313/.288)

Edited by Jose Abreu

If we're bringing in Gomes, it's as the last player on the roster to platoon with a struggling youngster...assuming we are approaching that season with a realistic chance to compete, which 2015 no longer looks like.

McCarthy. No. Flyball pitcher, pitches high in the zone...essentially same problem as Danks with better stuff but no reliability whatsoever due to injury history.

Angels would laugh and hang up at the notion of trading CJ Wilson for Danks.

90% sure the Rockies have the club option to bring back Cuddyer for 2015, and are likely to do so (especially if they trade Tulo or Cargo).

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 8, 2014 -> 10:54 PM)
Making a change to my earlier post. Been reading up on Kenta Maeda and I think dude can hang in the States. At 27 he probably makes more sense than Masterson esp since the team might be more realistically looking at 2016 instead of 2015.

I'd guesstimate a deal in the 7 year 100-125M range.

I don't think after what happened with Tanaka they're going to be willing to go that high on someone who doesn't quite have ace/superstar talent written all over him.

Sure, it's a possibility...but you could see the White Sox spreading that money over 3-4 different holes rather than taking the risk of another bad pitching contract to go with John Danks.

At some point, they're going to almost have to dip their toe into that water again, but I think it's more likely to be for a 4-5 back-end starter rather than a 2-3 $100+ million contract.

That's assuming Rodon becomes a #3 or better in 2015, or LOOKS like he could be in 2016 heading in that year.