LLWS Thread

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 07:50 AM)
Really a shame for the kids that some parents and coaches decided to create their own glory by cheating. I'd hope the local baseball organization who oversees that team makes sure the coaching staff aren't part of this spring's team. They should be ashamed of themselves. These are kids for christ sake.

I feel like it stopped being about the kids a while ago once ESPN started printing money off the TV coverage.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 08:45 AM)
I feel like it stopped being about the kids a while ago once ESPN started printing money off the TV coverage.

The battle between it being about the kids as is should be, and becoming about the parents, has existed since well before ESPN existed. I used to be a LL ump when I was in Jr High and early High School (this would be late 80's), and there was craziness present back then too.

The kids still received all the experiences from winning. Maybe this will be a good lesson for them. I am assuming they are innocent, so I do feel bad for them.

Will Dick's be taking refunds on the shirts they sold?

Also sad is a parent hinting this decision was racially motivated.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 09:38 AM)
What about all the MLB donations, mostly from African-American players?

Any claw backs? Or the money's already disappeared?

If you bought the t-shirts, you're supporting Saudi Arabia and beheadings through the transitive theory of Kevin Bacon.

I wonder how much of that money actually went to the Little League they claimed it was going to, and how much of it wound up in the pockets of those involved with this scam.

The parents need to stop taking out their anger or humiliation on the Little League, and need to hold the proper people responsible. It's not the kids fault, I'll buy that, but it also isn't right cheating is rewarded especially for youngsters.

The people behind this are creeps trying to get a little glory off of 12 year olds.

Edited by Dick Allen

I always just assumed that all of these teams were taking players from everywhere. Someone had to inform me that Little League/Travel are two different things. While it is justified to punish the JRW team for cheating, it is really hard to be up in arms over something that I would bet goes on all the time.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
I always just assumed that all of these teams were taking players from everywhere. Someone had to inform me that Little League/Travel are two different things. While it is justified to punish the JRW team for cheating, it is really hard to be up in arms over something that I would bet goes on all the time.

I assumed that as well. They weren't hiding the fact some of these kids were attending suburban schools. The people behind it didn't just make an innocent mistake., I would figure no one is going to sleep better tonight because "justice" was served. The bad part IMO is the kids getting connected to this. They have nothing to be embarrassed about, but several adults do.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/2/11/8018...e-title-vacated

And it might not have even happened (getting reported) if not for that 43-2 disgraceful beating they (meaning their coaches) put on another team in their own area. What comes around goes around.

Feel sorry for that LV team more than anything.

Also, it seems they're still selling the t-shirts/merchandise online.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/2/11/8018...e-title-vacated

And it might not have even happened (getting reported) if not for that 43-2 disgraceful beating they (meaning their coaches) put on another team in their own area. What comes around goes around.

Feel sorry for that LV team more than anything.

Also, it seems they're still selling the t-shirts/merchandise online.

Feel sorry or the district team, the sectional team, the state team, and the regaionl team they beat.

JRW has been doing this for years and will continue to do so.

The parents of the actual in-house JRW players that are screwed over by this do not seem to care which is the really sad part.

The boundary map was not the real issue although it was what did them it, the problem was the parades in the suburbs where the kids actually lived who used phony addresses in the JRW boundary that LLB did not look into.

3 players actually lived in the JRW league.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
Well, Jesse Jackson just made everything all better

I wonder when some of these JRW families will start to even question the people responsible for the cheating.

I would like some parent or community leader, say yeah, these adults were playing games and the team was stacked unfairly, perhaps costing other 12 year olds a shot at what our kids got anyway. But it seems like they are almost all saying, cheating? So what? Too late to do anything about it now. What a terrible example for the kids.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
I wonder when some of these JRW families will start to even question the people responsible for the cheating.

I would like some parent or community leader, say yeah, these adults were playing games and the team was stacked unfairly, perhaps costing other 12 year olds a shot at what our kids got anyway. But it seems like they are almost all saying, cheating? So what? Too late to do anything about it now. What a terrible example for the kids.

Did you hear the press conference? Both Father Pfleger and Jesse Jackson OPENLY ADMITTED to not knowing much about everything thats happening, but both claimed racism. They were both asked direct questions about the boundaries and they immediately started saying we need to clean these kids records because it looks like they are getting criminal records, and then they talked about the college money pipeline.

That press conference pretty much closed the book on this issue.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
Did you hear the press conference? Both Father Pfleger and Jesse Jackson OPENLY ADMITTED to not knowing much about everything thats happening, but both claimed racism. They were both asked direct questions about the boundaries and they immediately started saying we need to clean these kids records because it looks like they are getting criminal records, and then they talked about the college money pipeline.

OMG.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
OMG.

I am sure it is up on the CBS/Score website podcast. I mean, it was stunning how poorly informed the both of them were. It was like they saw "JRW has title taken away" and just said OMG LITTLE LEAGUE HATES BLACK PEOPLE

And the kids are being used as props. Just terrible

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
I am sure it is up on the CBS/Score website podcast. I mean, it was stunning how poorly informed the both of them were. It was like they saw "JRW has title taken away" and just said OMG LITTLE LEAGUE HATES BLACK PEOPLE

Agree on everything.

That press conference would have been hysterical if it wasn't so sad.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)

Business as usual with those two, you expect anything different?

The more this goes on the worse they will look.....if that is even possible.

The leagues that threw them under the bus are all black.

This was the last thing LLB wanted to do but when the three other leagues took issue, it was game over.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (skobabe8 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
Agree on everything.

That press conference would have been hysterical if it wasn't so sad.

It's really unfortunate because there are very real and legitimate cases of racism. but, with Jesse Jackson and Michael Pfleger it has become the boy who cried wolf.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)

How shocking. I'm surprised it took that long for that to become the thing about the whole matter