Adrian Peterson indicted for negligent injury to a child

MurcieOne

The guy stuffed leaves in this kid's mouth while beating him with a stick. As if hitting him with a stick to make him bleed isn't bad enough, stuffing leaves in his mouth just shows you it was abusive and he was getting some sort of weird satisfaction out of it.

Sorry, that's not being a parent, that's being an asshole who shouldn't be near kids.

And shack, stop with this "playing to public pressure" crap. They've mismanaged it from the start, but it's been a cover up, not part of some "oh the public saw the video now we must act." It was an excuse to finally take the appropriate action that they messed up on before. It looks messy, sure, but that's not the real reasoning behind it. It was an excuse to take further action.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
Let's just put it this way, other than Goodell himself, there's a reason you might be the only person on this planet trying to justify or rationalize how the nfl has responded to these situations. It's been just awful across the board. Actually I shouldn't include Goodell in there because he's admitted as such.

I'm not justifying anything...but do you really think of all the intelligent people that work for the NFL, there isn't something going on behind the scenes that you are unaware of? The League isn't run by idiots (although I know it may appear differently at times). They are trying to get this right this time.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:29 PM)
The guy stuffed leaves in this kid's mouth while beating him with a stick. As if hitting him with a stick to make him bleed isn't bad enough, stuffing leaves in his mouth just shows you it was abusive and he was getting some sort of weird satisfaction out of it.

Sorry, that's not being a parent, that's being an asshole who shouldn't be near kids.

And shack, stop with this "playing to public pressure" crap. They've mismanaged it from the start, but it's been a cover up, not part of some "oh the public saw the video now we must act." It was an excuse to finally take the appropriate action that they messed up on before. It looks messy, sure, but that's not the real reasoning behind it. It was an excuse to take further action.

2 beat kids, at least, one dead kid who he apparently never met. This guy needs a vasectomy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:32 PM)
I'm not justifying anything...but do you really think of all the intelligent people that work for the NFL, there isn't something going on behind the scenes that you are unaware of? The League isn't run by idiots (although I know it may appear differently at times). They are trying to get this right this time.

I do think they knew the Rice video was about to be released. It was only shortly before that The commissioner said he got it wrong.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)

You think they wanted the video to come out so they could correct their earlier mistake? Why wouldn't they have leaked it themselves then? The only good thing to come out of the video was a chance to take a second bite at the apple, but that was absolutely secondary to the damage done by the video itself.

As for corporal punishment and AP's parenting skills, I see no one defending his actions. However, the US as a society wants to discipline their children how they see fit, and have refused to enact even basic laws to prohibit harsh disciplinary methods, even at the expense of situations like this.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)
I do think they knew the Rice video was about to be released. It was only shortly before that The commissioner said he got it wrong.

I think Goodell is an egomaniac, and he did misinterpret the reaction to Ray Rice (I do think the changing attitudes in regards to marijuana worked against him here), but he's getting a LOT of help now. There are a lot of eyes looking at the current situation.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)
You think they wanted the video to come out so they could correct their earlier mistake? Why wouldn't they have leaked it themselves then? The only good thing to come out of the video was a chance to take a second bite at the apple, but that was absolutely secondary to the damage done by the video itself.

As for corporal punishment and AP's parenting skills, I see no one defending his actions. However, the US as a society wants to discipline their children how they see fit, and have refused to enact even basic laws to prohibit harsh disciplinary methods, even at the expense of situations like this.

I would agree to a point. If you were in a park and saw some guy spank his kid, you probably wouldn't think twice about it, although some people would. If you saw him stuff his kid's mouth with leaves and hit him with a stick several times, you probably are dialing 911.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
I think Goodell is an egomaniac, and he did misinterpret the reaction to Ray Rice (I do think the changing attitudes in regards to marijuana worked against him here), but he's getting a LOT of help now. There are a lot of eyes looking at the current situation.

When you have a job that pays you almost $1 million a week, and thousands kissing your ass, it would be pretty hard not to be an ego maniac.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
I would agree to a point. If you were in a park and saw some guy spank his kid, you probably wouldn't think twice about it, although some people would. If you saw him stuff his kid's mouth with leaves and hit him with a stick several times, you probably are dialing 911.

If you read the article Balta linked to earlier though, you'd see that like guns, conservative Christians guard the right to punish their children as they see fit very closely.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)

They were hoping the video never came out, and, I believe, somehow inexplicably thought it wouldn't. Just another one of the many mistakes they've made.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 15, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)

I think in the situation of most of these guys, given the amount of smoke, none of them should be playing. The teams should not let those players represent their franchise. Pay them there salary while the process is looked into and the legal system does its thing, but they should be inactive.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
I think in the situation of most of these guys, given the amount of smoke, none of them should be playing. The teams should not let those players represent their franchise. Pay them there salary while the process is looked into and the legal system does its thing, but they should be inactive.

In terms of domestic abuse, both spousal and child, I agree completely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
ChiTribSports ‏@ChiTribSports 9m

Radisson suspends its sponsorship of Vikings http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break....html?track=rss

Apparently Radisson did not like being featured prominently behind Spielman yesterday during his disastrous press conference

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
ChiTribSports ‏@ChiTribSports 9m

Radisson suspends its sponsorship of Vikings http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break....html?track=rss

This should happen from more companies. Hell, someone on the internets should start publishing a list of the Vikings sponsors.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)

The cultural aspect is correct though. My brother is a pt and at in mississippi. He routinely tells me about children with burns on their hands because the parents punish them by putting the kids hands in hot water. The parents make it too hot and the kids get burns. It's all too common. I'll wager that if Peterson hadn't sent the kid home to Minnesota until the wounds healed, this never would have come up.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
The cultural aspect is correct though. My brother is a pt and at in mississippi. He routinely tells me about children with burns on their hands because the parents punish them by putting the kids hands in hot water. The parents make it too hot and the kids get burns. It's all too common. I'll wager that if Peterson hadn't sent the kid home to Minnesota until the wounds healed, this never would have come up.

I think the distinction is that some have justified AP's actions based on it being accepted in some areas of the country, whereas others have merely listed that as a mitigating factor, more or less.

Anheiser Busch released a statement

"We are disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season. We are not yet satisfied with the league's handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company culture and moral code. We have shared our concerns and expectations with the league."