Adrian Peterson indicted for negligent injury to a child

MurcieOne

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)
I think the distinction is that some have justified AP's actions based on it being accepted in some areas of the country, whereas others have merely listed that as a mitigating factor, more or less.

That's my point. These forms of punishment are still readily carried out and accepted as the norm. "Kid grabs something, he wasn't supposed to, put his hands in hot water and he''l learn."

It will be an absolute disgrace if Peterson suits up. I will say the same again for Hardy and the guy on the Niners. That said, the way we are going as a society, we are just a few years from Cutler being suspended because him and his wife have the view of not vaccinating their children. Which again, I personally think is stupid and some could probably argue is an improper way to treat your children?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
That's my point. These forms of punishment are still readily carried out and accepted as the norm. "Kid grabs something, he wasn't supposed to, put his hands in hot water and he''l learn."

Yeah, I understand. And I think that is a valid point to understand. However, some folks seem to be saying what AP did is ok because of that, whereas others are saying it is not ok because of that, but that is a factor that should be taken into consideration when determining how to handle the situation.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
It will be an absolute disgrace if Peterson suits up. I will say the same again for Hardy and the guy on the Niners. That said, the way we are going as a society, we are just a few years from Cutler being suspended because him and his wife have the view of not vaccinating their children. Which again, I personally think is stupid and some could probably argue is an improper way to treat your children?

Hopefully the NFL steps in and saves the Vikings from themselves and that awful press conference.

Oh, and as for Cutler, not only is that an improper way to treat their children, it's an improper way to treat EVERYONE'S children.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
Hopefully the NFL steps in and saves the Vikings from themselves and that awful press conference.

Oh, and as for Cutler, not only is that an improper way to treat their children, it's an improper way to treat EVERYONE'S children.

I don't disagree...but at some point people are entitled to make decisions on how to treat their children. You could argue that is as bad or worse then what Peterson has done. I would argue it is an awful thing to do but I don't tend to put my personal beliefs in other people's faces but I know if my hypothetical daughter did that to her grand kids, I'd let them know that I thought they were fundamentally wrong and were doing a disservice to their child and ultimately to everyone else's child.

However, in a parelell universe, you could argue two things are similar:

Peterson's parenting style is based upon what is maybe more common from his childhood and what he is familiar with

The Cutler's style / vision is based upon what is more common in the hollywood crowd.

As far as I'm concerned, both are bad for the children and both are culturally accepted in certain circles.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
I don't disagree...but at some point people are entitled to make decisions on how to treat their children. You could argue that is as bad or worse then what Peterson has done. I would argue it is an awful thing to do but I don't tend to put my personal beliefs in other people's faces but I know if my hypothetical daughter did that to her grand kids, I'd let them know that I thought they were fundamentally wrong and were doing a disservice to their child and ultimately to everyone else's child.

However, in a parelell universe, you could argue two things are similar:

Peterson's parenting style is based upon what is maybe more common from his childhood and what he is familiar with

The Cutler's style / vision is based upon what is more common in the hollywood crowd.

As far as I'm concerned, both are bad for the children and both are culturally accepted in certain circles.

People can make decisions on how to treat their children, but a line has to be draw somewhere.

I see what you are saying, but one has tangible evidence of abuse. Everyone can draw their own line.

Some people are OK with spanking for discipline, but I think even people who are OK with it, also have a line. I would have to think that's been crossed, even for that crowd. If not, when does it? He punches him in the face and knocks him out? Hey, it's just discipline, that's what I grew up with.

He took it too far, and that's why the argument is now there for abuse vs discipline.

I don't think I could make the argument that the Cutler's crossed that line, even though I disagree with their parenting.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but has anyone ever wondered how many kids AP has?

He had a son die last year, and reportedly has beaten 2 different sons with 2 different women. So by that count thats 3 different women he has had children with. Clearly this guy is not a family guy.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 04:37 PM)
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but has anyone ever wondered how many kids AP has?

He had a son die last year, and reportedly has beaten 2 different sons with 2 different women. So by that count thats 3 different women he has had children with. Clearly this guy is not a family guy.

Earilier it was said around a dozen.

He has 7 kids from 4 mothers

The vaccine and abuse things are apples to oranges to me.

If Rusty and his legal team can prove that abusing your children is different than assault and battery he will win. If I stuff leaves in someone's mouth and then beat them with a stick, it is assault and battery. Just because it is his kid does not make it permissible. A slap and whack on the ass are a gray area. Causing bodily harm is not.

Now Jay can bring out folks that can tell the court that there is no malicious intent on their part or no willful harm being brought. At this point in time it is like global warming nobody is right and nobody is wrong, as well as there are no laws being broken.

Edited by Harry Chappas

If there is physical evidence of how you hit your kid about 10 minutes afterwards, that would be an indication that you went too far.

As far as Cutler goes, the lack of vaccination is bad. There is a degree to which it is accepted because that is basically an upper-class white way to harm children. The main difference to me, though, is that Jay is leaving his kids open to potential harm. It is reckless.

What Peterson did is actively harm his kids.

What Jay Cutler is doing is more like choosing a babysitter by random draw and knowing that there is a 1 in 1000 chance that the babysitter is Adrian Peterson

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 17, 2014 -> 12:19 AM)
If there is physical evidence of how you hit your kid about 10 minutes afterwards, that would be an indication that you went too far.

As far as Cutler goes, the lack of vaccination is bad. There is a degree to which it is accepted because that is basically an upper-class white way to harm children. The main difference to me, though, is that Jay is leaving his kids open to potential harm. It is reckless.

What Jay Cutler is doing is more like choosing a babysitter by random draw and knowing that there is a 1 in 1000 chance that the babysitter is Adrian Peterson

Except he also invited all the neighborhood children to be babysat as well.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)

Have you researched this? I have not, but what I have researched is this same issue in dogs. There is widespread belief that we over-vaccinate our dogs and this causes far more harm than is appropriate given the relatively remote risks we are vaccinating against.

As I said, I haven't researched it yet, but I'd guess the theory is along the same lines.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
Have you researched this? I have not, but what I have researched is this same issue in dogs. There is widespread belief that we over-vaccinate our dogs and this causes far more harm than is appropriate given the relatively remote risks we are vaccinating against.

As I said, I haven't researched it yet, but I'd guess the theory is along the same lines.

I think at this point all of the "we're over vaccinated" myths have been debunked.

And it absolutely is a rich white person issue because any kid not vaccinated can't go to daycares, public school, etc. That's a lot of alternative stuff to pay for. Costly choice.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 06:49 PM)
I think at this point all of the "we're over vaccinated" myths have been debunked.

And it absolutely is a rich white person issue because any kid not vaccinated can't go to daycares, public school, etc. That's a lot of alternative stuff to pay for. Costly choice.

Hah, it's the same for my dogs :)

I have a hard time believing there is no truth to it, but like I said, I've not researched it.

The argument in re: animals is a very strong one, with plenty of studies to back it.

The rise in many diseases have correlated with the rise in vaccinations. Of course, that also correlates in the degradation of our food supply and a lack of exercise and an active lifestyle as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
Hah, it's the same for my dogs :)

I have a hard time believing there is no truth to it, but like I said, I've not researched it.

The argument in re: animals is a very strong one, with plenty of studies to back it.

The rise in many diseases have correlated with the rise in vaccinations. Of course, that also correlates in the degradation of our food supply and a lack of exercise and an active lifestyle as well.

I have not looked into it for animals, but there is absolutely no truth whatsoever to the claims that vaccines are driving increases in any other disease in humans. The end result of these sort of claims is already turning into outbreaks of things like the measles and whooping cough that we hadn't dealt with in this country for decades.

If you'd like a good overview of this issue with regards to humans, there was a really solid show on it from NOVA last week.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
I have not looked into it for animals, but there is absolutely no truth whatsoever to the claims that vaccines are driving increases in any other disease in humans. The end result of these sort of claims is already turning into outbreaks of things like the measles and whooping cough that we hadn't dealt with in this country for decades.

If you'd like a good overview of this issue with regards to humans, there was a really solid show on it from NOVA last week.

Excellent, thanks!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)

Hereis an article that Balta clearly read before opining ;)

The crux of most anti-vax opinion is that it causes autism - because there was an observed increase in vaccinations and autism diagnoses...which was irrelevant. There was a landmark study that showed more than mere correlation, but it was found to have used falsified data and troves of research has tried to replicate it and found no such causal association.

I suppose the movement may have developed some other claims since then, but I'm not aware of them.

Over-vaccinating...sheesh, that doesn't even make sense. Over-medicating? Sure. Vaccinations...nope, I can't even fathom the logic