Finding a LH/Switch hitting OFer

caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
I think that package is right around what would be worthwhile, but I think I'd prefer to deal Beck over Danish right now. Just my belief, but I think with another good, healthy season, Danish is a guy who could be a top 3 prospect in the system and possibly a top 100 guy overall. There are going to be some who still view him as a reliever, but it's a worthwhile gamble in my mind. I'd look to deal someone like Beck instead, even though I really like Beck as a prospect.

I'd definitely rather send Beck, but I don't think Beck gets it done.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
I love Danish and am hopeful for Hawkins, but let's be honest -- you're giving up a potential #3 starter who might be a good reliever instead plus a guy who you'd be happy with IF he becomes what Belt is today.

Sure, both those guys COULD become stars, but they both very likely won't. That's worth it for a solid left-handed corner OF with solid pop that is controllable for 3 more years.

How is he a corner OF. He has started less than 10% of his career starts in LF and in half those games he was pulled late for defense. He got moved to IB and he is a pretty good defensively there. We need an above average corner outfielder defensively to offset Avi on the other side.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
How is he a corner OF. He has started less than 10% of his career starts in LF and in half those games he was pulled late for defense. He got moved to IB and he is a pretty good defensively there. We need an above average corner outfielder defensively to offset Avi on the other side.

I'd almost rather have lo mo or smoak since they already know the al and would come at a fraction of the cost.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
I'm all for Ackley and Butler if that means we're using our resources on acquiring a top line starting pitcher. And no I don't know where that pitcher is coming from, just throwing it out there.

Ackley and Butler both have lower OPSs this season than Alejandro De Aza. I am not buying the Sox interest. I do agree if that is their offense moves, they are goimg to be spending a ton on pitching.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:30 PM)
Do you know what would retard the process of making the White Sox a playoff team?

This thread is saying that the team needs bats, trading Q would slove that problem. Trading Q would give the team high quality, ML ready and cost controlled prospects. Rodin could replace him in the rotation and the Sox can sign some mid level starting pitchers to hold down the fort till their pitching prospects are ready.

Edited by Joshua Strong

It's gonna take something absolutely ridiculous to get Q with his talent and that contract.

I'm talking more than the Cubs/Oakland trade. I'm talkin Seagar/Pederson/Urias ridiculous.,,,And even then I'd still want a ML SP back and LA doesn't really have one they'd give up.

Or s***, Giancarlo Stanton ridiculous.

Q is probably a #1 on some teams, a surefire #2, and he's really being paid like a 4/5, that has a TON of value.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:53 PM)
Do think Rodon can match Q's 200IP and 3.32 ERA? That setting the expectations just a bit high for Rodon. Plus more taxing on the pen.

In 2015, not a chance, (Mind you that I have Rodon being anointed a starter after the break.) but going forward yes. 2015 is going to be another and hopefully the last rebuilding year for the Sox. There are still a lot of holes and question marks going forward and the team needs to acquire assets if they hope to be a serious contender going forward. Quintana is a highly valuable commodity and he would bet the Sox a serious return of prospects as teams are going to overpay for a LHP, who is under 30, a quality start machine and is signed to a very team friendly contract. Having Quintana on the team is good for 2015, but what about the future going forward?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:07 PM)
In 2015, not a chance, (Mind you that I have Rodon being anointed a starter after the break.) but going forward yes. 2015 is going to be another and hopefully the last rebuilding year for the Sox. There are still a lot of holes and question marks going forward and the team needs to acquire assets if they hope to be a serious contender going forward. Quintana is a highly valuable commodity and he would bet the Sox a serious return of prospects as teams are going to overpay for a LHP, who is under 30, a quality start machine and is signed to a very team friendly contract. Having Quintana on the team is good for 2015, but what about the future going forward?

And the Sox are going to need multiple starters that can do what Q is capable of. I don't know about you but Sale, Q and Rodon in the same rotation for the next 4-6 years sounds pretty solid. Hopefully two of Bassitt, Noesi, Montas or Danish will be able to solidify the other two spots in the next 1-2 years and the rotation is set and a rather cheap one at that.

Filling one hole and creating another doesn't make any sense to be honest. I'm really not against the idea of trading any player but guys like Q are valuable like you said, will be needed on a contending team and the haul would have to be overwhelming. For example, negotiations with a team like the Dodgers would start with Julio Urias and one of Joc Pederson or Corey Seager or else forget it.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 11:33 PM)
And the Sox are going to need multiple starters that can do what Q is capable of. I don't know about you but Sale, Q and Rodon in the same rotation for the next 4-6 years sounds pretty solid. Hopefully two of Bassitt, Noesi, Montas or Danish will be able to solidify the other two spots in the next 1-2 years and the rotation is set and a rather cheap one at that.

Filling one hole and creating another doesn't make any sense to be honest. I'm really not against the idea of trading any player but guys like Q are valuable like you said, will be needed on a contending team and the haul would have to be overwhelming. For example, negotiations with a team like the Dodgers would start with Julio Urias and one of Joc Pederson or Corey Seager or else forget it.

Never over value your own talent, if the Dodgers called and offered Urias and Seager for Quintana, the Sox would be stupid to say no

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)
Never over value your own talent, if the Dodgers called and offered Urias and Seager for Quintana, the Sox would be stupid to say no

Nobody is over valuing talent when it comes to Q. He's just 25, has 200 IP in each of the last two years, left handed, signed very cheap and his ERA has steadily gone each year. He's a very good #3 at worst and a case can be made for a #2, which I lead towards myself. Q has plenty of value and if a team wants to pry him out Chicago, they will have to pay rather heavily. Obviously Hahn and co feel Q has a lot of value to the Sox future contending teams and they are right.

Why settle for Sale and Rodon when the Sox already have Sale, Q and Rodon to build around?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 12:26 AM)
Yes, I am aware.

And you have to understand that whomever they get in return for Q, would probably not yield that same value, in regards to value on the field, and monetary value. You don't trade Q unless you get a Q back, and if you're going to do that, why trade him in the first place?

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 12:35 AM)
And you have to understand that whomever they get in return for Q, would probably not yield that same value, in regards to value on the field, and monetary value. You don't trade Q unless you get a Q back, and if you're going to do that, why trade him in the first place?

I hear you loud and clear, I just disagree with you. I am not demanding that the Sox trade Q, I'm stating that it's a notion that they should explore.

With that particular trade, Urias and Seager for Quintana. I would argue that Urias has a higher ceiling and better stuff than Quintana. And Seager is the best all around third base prospect in the game in my opinion. He can flat out hit and projects to be a 300 hitter while he hits 25 homers and drives in a 100 RBI a season in the bigs. These just aren't any prospects, these are elite prospects that have performed at every level. Seager would be that left handed, run producer that the team is going to need in the line up going forward. And Urias would be another solid arm to put alongside Sale and Rodon, he's left handed too if that helps you. Hasn't the Cubs' rebuild taught us anything, that pitching is an overrated commodity and when someone offers you that package of prospects, you should strike. (Samardzija and Hammel for Russell, McKinney and Strailey. I think most would agree to say that the Cubs won that deal.)

Trading Q would bring the Sox a lot of value back.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 02:26 AM)
I hear you loud and clear, I just disagree with you. I am not demanding that the Sox trade Q, I'm stating that it's a notion that they should explore.

With that particular trade, Urias and Seager for Quintana. I would argue that Urias has a higher ceiling and better stuff than Quintana. And Seager is the best all around third base prospect in the game in my opinion. He can flat out hit and projects to be a 300 hitter while he hits 25 homers and drives in a 100 RBI a season in the bigs. These just aren't any prospects, these are elite prospects that have performed at every level. Seager would be that left handed, run producer that the team is going to need in the line up going forward. And Urias would be another solid arm to put alongside Sale and Rodon, he's left handed too if that helps you. Hasn't the Cubs' rebuild taught us anything, that pitching is an overrated commodity and when someone offers you that package of prospects, you should strike. (Samardzija and Hammel for Russell, McKinney and Strailey. I think most would agree to say that the Cubs won that deal.)

Trading Q would bring the Sox a lot of value back.

1) The Dodgers are more than likely not offering Urias and Seager.

2) The Cubs rebuild has taught us...Soler is good and Baez sucks and that they still have no pitching outside of Arrieta. They don't have Sale, Abreu, Q, Eaton or Garcia. 2 franchise cornerstones and three all-star level talents already at the MLB level.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 04:29 AM)
1) The Dodgers are more than likely not offering Urias and Seager.

2) The Cubs rebuild has taught us...Soler is good and Baez sucks and that they still have no pitching outside of Arrieta. They don't have Sale, Abreu, Q, Eaton or Garcia. 2 franchise cornerstones and three all-star level talents already at the MLB level.

I just used that trade as an example, since someone brought it up.

The Cubs do have two franchise cornerstones in Rizzo and Castro, oh and they have another coming up in Kris Bryant. And Baez dose not suck, it's too premature to say that, you should judge after he plays a full season in the bigs first.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 06:34 AM)
Nobody is over valuing talent when it comes to Q. He's just 25, has 200 IP in each of the last two

years, left handed, signed very cheap and his ERA has steadily gone each year.

He's a very good #3 at worst and a case can be made for a #2, which I lead towards myself.

Q has plenty of value and if a team wants to pry him out Chicago, they will have to pay rather heavily. Obviously Hahn and co feel Q has a lot of value to the Sox future contending teams and they are right.

Why settle for Sale and Rodon when the Sox already have Sale, Q and Rodon to build around?

while I agree with you, I hope to make this minor change. on the sox, Jose is a #2 pitcher and depending

on Rodon in the future maybe a #3. on another team, in most teams pen, he is a solid #2 and / or a

weak #1.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 05:19 AM)
I just used that trade as an example, since someone brought it up.

The Cubs do have two franchise cornerstones in Rizzo and Castro, oh and they have another coming up in Kris Bryant. And Baez dose not suck, it's too premature to say that, you should judge after he plays a full season in the bigs first.

Baez doesn't suck but if he were the primary return in a package of prospects, I'd be quite scared.

Either way, the Sox aren't going to trade Quintana. His asking price will be slightly lower than that of Chris Sale but still insanely high and way too much for any team to muster. If they really offered enough to trade Quintana, then the Sox are getting either 3 extremely good prospects - the Cubs are easy to relate to, so we'll say Bryant, Edwards, and Baez - or they're getting a great major leaguer plus a prospect in return.

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd even trade Quintana straight up for Giancarlo Stanton right now.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 12:34 AM)
Nobody is over valuing talent when it comes to Q. He's just 25, has 200 IP in each of the last two years, left handed, signed very cheap and his ERA has steadily gone each year. He's a very good #3 at worst and a case can be made for a #2, which I lead towards myself. Q has plenty of value and if a team wants to pry him out Chicago, they will have to pay rather heavily. Obviously Hahn and co feel Q has a lot of value to the Sox future contending teams and they are right.

A very good case can be made that Quintana is a #1.