Finding a LH/Switch hitting OFer

caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
There you go.

So Law says that with Montas quickly emerging into a front-line starter prospect, the Sox will have 4 in the top 100 (Montas plus presumably Anderson, Rodon and ?).

So that brings up a good question - do we move Quintana or [gasp] Sale to bring in some top flight positional talent?

They shouldn't until they are more certain that these guys will make it as starters in the majors.

The upshot of waiting with Quintana is that even at 6-10 million a year (like 2017-18) he still has loads of value, assuming current production persists.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 10:55 PM)
There you go.

So Law says that with Montas quickly emerging into a front-line starter prospect, the Sox will have 4 in the top 100 (Montas plus presumably Anderson, Rodon and ?).

So that brings up a good question - do we move Quintana or [gasp] Sale to bring in some top flight positional talent?

I hate to splits hairs with you, but did you fully read the whole article?

while Law is high on Montas, he did mention that he is still struggling with the 3rd pitch.

at the end, he mention something about worst case is Montas is a RP, but he like the sox

system of helping their prospects.

then again I may have misread the article.

right now, I am for saving the top 3 pitchers and then wait to see what the sox

brass will do later. if the sox make it to the playoff, a 3 man rotation in the playoff

can go a long way. let put the sox top 3 against any other team top 3. sox will

have a slight edge.

however, if the sox were in for trading a pitcher, the rtn haul will be HUGE!

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
There you go.

Frankly, still no.

If someone wants to give up a Puig for a pitcher fine, I'm open, but without that, Quintana outdid most #1 pitchers in WAR this year. If he gets any better next year, the next level is challenging for a Cy Young. Give me these 2 insane lefties at the top of the rotation, put them with a decent offense and a non-terrible defense/bullpen and they will pitch us into the playoffs. I need someone worth that, someone who can, right now, carry this team into the playoffs for 3 years, before I think about this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 06:23 PM)
Frankly, still no.

If someone wants to give up a Puig for a pitcher fine, I'm open, but without that, Quintana outdid most #1 pitchers in WAR this year. If he gets any better next year, the next level is challenging for a Cy Young. Give me these 2 insane lefties at the top of the rotation, put them with a decent offense and a non-terrible defense/bullpen and they will pitch us into the playoffs. I need someone worth that, someone who can, right now, carry this team into the playoffs for 3 years, before I think about this.

Yes sir I agree with this. Every day that goes by makes me realize even more what a wonderful 4 we have in Sale, Q, Abreu & Eaton. Garcia, Conor & Rodon can join that list next year. But yea I believe we can win if we can sign some legit talent to bridge the gap between the two groups I mentioned above. I don't mind throwing a lot of money at a player if he locks down a spot for 3-5 years. Let's win, we have bad ass reinforcements on the way in the coming years.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)
Yes sir I agree with this. Every day that goes by makes me realize even more what a wonderful 4 we have in Sale, Q, Abreu & Eaton. Garcia, Conor & Rodon can join that list next year. But yea I believe we can win if we can sign some legit talent to bridge the gap between the two groups I mentioned above. I don't mind throwing a lot of money at a player if he locks down a spot for 3-5 years. Let's win, we have bad ass reinforcements on the way in the coming years.

If flowers Conor Garcia and rodon all make major contributions we will be fine.

Two or three of those guys go backwards and big problems will result.

Edited by caulfield12

I haven't checked that epistemology of that Fangraphs list, but it's interesting that Danks and Noesi are ahead of guys like Chris YOung (pitchers park and all) that some people suggest we sign.

And for all the hoorah about the Nats "stealing" Fister, he comes out about where I'd expect ole Fister to come out.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 11, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
There you go.

Rodon, Anderson, Montas, and Danish

Didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but I'd definitely see if the Phillies are giving up on Dom Brown. His value is pretty low at this point so I can see them holding on to him, but they more or less benched him at the end of the year so it's entirely possible.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but I'd definitely see

if the Phillies are giving up on Dom Brown. His value is pretty low at this point so I can see them

holding on to him, but they more or less benched him at the end of the year so it's entirely possible.

unless it was for discipline matters. just throwing that out there. I am prob wrong.

edit: according to cbs sports, he is out due to a hand injury.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
Didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but I'd definitely see if the Phillies are giving up on Dom Brown. His value is pretty low at this point so I can see them holding on to him, but they more or less benched him at the end of the year so it's entirely possible.

Interesting DH possibility. But DH only. Of course, he may just be Viciedo. He's had only one good 1/2 year.

We've got to improve the defense on this team, however.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Interesting DH possibility. But DH only. Of course, he may just be Viciedo. He's had only one good 1/2 year.

We've got to improve the defense on this team, however.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I think Jay Bruce solves a lot of problems for us.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
This may not be a popular opinion, but I think Jay Bruce solves a lot of problems for us.

I would take a chance on Bruce despite a down 2014 and would MUCH prefer him over CarGo. I'm curious what a guy like Bruce would cost in Sox prospects.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
we shouldn't be dealing prospects of any worth, esp for expensive risks.

Bruce is another high K player - I'd like to see a Sox moratorium on those players.

See if we can get Dom Brown for the Danks bros.

No chance Philli can take on more salary without relieving some salary. Dominic Brown is goes to get a raise this year as he enters his first year of arbitration so its quite possible Philly would not mind moving him. I can see a possibility of something like John Danks and Tank for Domonic Brown and Jimmy Rollins. The Sox would move Rollins to second and bat him second which buys some development time for the Sox future 2B. Rollins should bring good defense to second as well as a LH bat, good contact and base stealing potential to the two hole in the batting order.

Heck, I'd be willing to send money with Danks and Tank to be sure a deal could be done, provided Philly was interested of course.

Fwiw, Rollins is owed 11M for 2015 and is FA after the 2015 season is over.

Also want to add. I would be fine with the Sox kicking the tires on Peavy. Sale, Q, Peavy, Rodon, Noesi looks better than the 2014 rotation. s***, I really like how that looks!

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 12:02 PM)
No chance Philli can take on more salary without relieving some salary. Dominic Brown is goes to get a raise this year as he enters his first year of arbitration so its quite possible Philly would not mind moving him. I can see a possibility of something like John Danks and Tank for Domonic Brown and Jimmy Rollins. The Sox would move Rollins to second and bat him second which buys some development time for the Sox future 2B. Rollins should bring good defense to second as well as a LH bat, good contact and base stealing potential to the two hole in the batting order.

Heck, I'd be willing to send money with Danks and Tank to be sure a deal could be done, provided Philly was interested of course.

Fwiw, Rollins is owed 11M for 2015 and is FA after the 2015 season is over.

Also want to add. I would be fine with the Sox kicking the tires on Peavy. Sale, Q, Peavy, Rodon, Noesi looks better than the 2014 rotation. s***, I really like how that looks!

If we did that (and it's interesting), we'd need to trade Alexei. We've got to give some of these young IFs some room.

I do like the idea of a Vic-Dom Brown change of scenery. I actually think Brown could be pretty good.

I'm still intrigued with that FAn-Graphs list. Noesi and Danks were ranked in the top 80 starters. That's close to top 1/2, right? (30 teams x 5 starters per team). So they are average. It sure didn't feel that way.

Peavy did pretty well with the Giants, but it sure looked like he was all shot when with the Red Sox.

I still like my Danks bros plan better; although not as much as the Danks+Flowers for Puig idea above.

Edited by GreenSox