Levine - Left Handed Bat Priority

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
He had one good season after 2004, that's it, then he completely fell off the map offensively.

We will never know the truth, but I can't give the benefit of the doubt to anybody from that era.

And this the legacy of Bud Selig in my eyes. We have about 20-25 years of baseball that we have no idea about the clarity of.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
Come on man, he didn't kill anyone. A lengthy, unpaid suspension that ultimately cost him literally millions of free agent dollars by putting his expected performance in doubt seems pretty reasonable to me.

He should have been banned for life after the cover up scandal portion of it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Haha you might as well stop watching sports then. Sports are littered with bad guys. The 2005 White Sox had steroid users on the team and nobody really cared. If you could guarantee me that Melky would come here and solidify the lineup, I don't really care what means he takes to do that.

I think you missed the mark on my reasoning. Are people in sports going to use drugs while on your favorite team? Yes, they are. The team really has no choice in the matter.

When the team chooses to attract and acquire a proven cheat with a tens of millions of dollars that is entirely different.

I understand that I have taken a hard stance on this but that's how I feel. I think of all the pitchers who were affected by Cabrera's cheating and it makes me sick. He likely contributed to the demise of some young pitchers careers while using PEDs. The consequences of his actions are far reaching and not easily defined.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 09:10 PM)
I think you missed the mark on my reasoning. Are people in sports going to use drugs while on your favorite team? Yes, they are. The team really has no choice in the matter.

When the team chooses to attract and acquire a proven cheat with a tens of millions of dollars that is entirely different.

I understand that I have taken a hard stance on this but that's how I feel. I think of all the pitchers who were affected by Cabrera's cheating and it makes me sick. He likely contributed to the demise of some young pitchers careers while using PEDs. The consequences of his actions are far reaching and not easily defined.

Think of all the hitters affected by pitchers cheating, which happens all the time. Vaseline, sand paper, emery board (Niekro), pine tar and pushing up on the seams to raise them up a bit for grip which I remember years ago Buehrle speaking about doing himself.

Cheating is a two way street. I'm not justifying it, just pointing out that hitters aren't the only ones that have cheated and in fact pitchers were cheating long before hitters. With millions of dollars at stake, its easy to see how cheating happens. Both pitchers and hitters alike are equally guilty.

OK, I'm done, please carry on. :)

Please no Melky. Somebody tell the White Sox we fans will be sickened and saddened if the Sox acquire that bum.

Please no Melky. I'd rather have Aoki if it means Melky is a White Sox. Believe it or not I'd rather have Adam Dunn next season than cheater Melky. Yes I am totally serious. Sign Dunn if it keeps Melky away.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 11:49 PM)
Please no Melky. Somebody tell the White Sox we fans will be sickened and saddened if the Sox acquire that bum.

Please no Melky. I'd rather have Aoki if it means Melky is a White Sox. Believe it or not I'd rather have Adam Dunn next season than cheater Melky. Yes I am totally serious. Sign Dunn if it keeps Melky away.

I'm respect your opinion but speak for yourself. I and a few other Sox fans welcome the idea of Melky playing LF in 2015 and beyond.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 06:52 AM)
Ah geeze you know if the Sox sign Melkie player hate the game don't hate the player. The CBA outlines drug suspensions. If you think 50 games is too little of a punishment, then write Bud Selig, or whoever is they chose to replace him.

did he or did he not pay for his actions. I am saying by the league standards.

he is another analogy, did Pete Rose pay for his actions or did he not? is there a

difference in the 2 examples?

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
did he or did he not pay for his actions. I am saying by the league standards.

he is another analogy, did Pete Rose pay for his actions or did he not? is there a

difference in the 2 examples?

Would you hire Pete Rose as a coach today?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
Would you hire Pete Rose as a coach today?

the point is, they both paid for their actions.

now with rose there was a long rule against betting on baseball.

the PED was basically new. yeah there is a gray line with PED, but players

are playing dumb, with the typically children excuse, "I didn't know it was illegal"

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
the point is, they both paid for their actions.

now with rose there was a long rule against betting on baseball.

the PED was basically new. yeah there is a gray line with PED, but players

are playing dumb, with the typically children excuse, "I didn't know it was illegal"

Melky Cabrera, who paid $10 grand to have a fake website established to try to cover up that he'd been juicing by saying "oh it came from this place", didn't know it was illegal. Oh, and he also just happened to be doing it during a contract year.

Riiiiiiiight.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Melky Cabrera, who paid $10 grand to have a fake website established to try to cover up that he'd been juicing by saying "oh it came from this place", didn't know it was illegal. Oh, and he also just happened to be doing it during a contract year.

Riiiiiiiight.

and I will accept all your counters. I am just discussing in how long does a player have to

pay for their actions. but the above comment, would you be oppose to them being banned?

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
and I will accept all your counters. I am just discussing in how long does a player have to

pay for their actions. but the above comment, would you be oppose to them being banned?

For a first offense? I'd probably oppose that, but throw in a clear coverup like Melky Cabrera attempted and now I'm iffier. And in either case, no I would not sign them at market rate, I'd treat them like a pitcher with a partially torn elbow ligament. Maybe you get lucky but real good chance their performance falls off by a lot at some point, and who knows what else they might do to get around it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)

Riiiiiiiight.

you do have a very good counter.

is another question, not for you, rhetorical question. why did Melky work so hard to

circumvent the situation in what he didn't know was illegal.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)

I'm so glad I don't care about PEDs this much. What a stressful thing to have to want your team to NOT acquire players that will help it win.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
For a first offense? I'd probably oppose that, but throw in a clear coverup like Melky Cabrera attempted and now I'm iffier. And in either case, no I would not sign them at market rate, I'd treat them like a pitcher with a partially torn elbow ligament. Maybe you get lucky but real good chance their performance falls off by a lot at some point, and who knows what else they might do to get around it.

you see this is the glass half full and half empty. no one will have a good enuf penalty

let alone if the player finds atonement.

he worked hard to deceived the system. it is the system that gave him the penalty. he

paid for his actions. where we like it or not.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
I'm so glad I don't care about PEDs this much. What a stressful thing to have to want your team to NOT acquire players that will help it win.

oh cmon now, this is baseball at its best. discussing the value of certain players.

this is fun.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
you see this is the glass half full and half empty. no one will have a good enuf penalty

let alone if the player finds atonement.

he worked hard to deceived the system. it is the system that gave him the penalty. he

paid for his actions. where we like it or not.

But just from a baseball perspective...I would say that a person with a steroid suspension in their background is more likely than the average player to disappoint, either by injury, additional suspension, or by simply falling off in their production level as they get farther from the point when they were abusing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 07:29 AM)
oh cmon now, this is baseball at its best. discussing the value of certain players.

this is fun.

My whole point is that it is precisely NOT discussing players of certain values. It's discussing acquiring players based on things that are NOT related to their value.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
But just from a baseball perspective...I would say that a person with a steroid suspension in their background is more likely than the average player to disappoint, either by injury, additional suspension, or by simply falling off in their production level as they get farther from the point when they were abusing.

this part I will give way to others who are smarter than I. I really have to go to work.

I will follow this at work

I had fun

peace.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 02:33 PM)
My whole point is that it is precisely NOT discussing players of certain values. It's

discussing acquiring players based on things that are NOT related to their value.

I disagree, b/c what he did is affecting on how some posters, and you have to think

how some teams may think about getting him.

I believe he did, by the league standards, paid his penalty. I think he is or may be worth

a 1 yr and not 3 also based on previous posters opinions.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
My whole point is that it is precisely NOT discussing players of certain values. It's discussing acquiring players based on things that are NOT related to their value.

Except that it is. He has a track record of using PED's in contract years and then falling off the map, which should make anyone take pause when looking at his number from this season. There will always be room for question and speculation because of his past. I would say the same thing about Nelson Cruz and Peralta as well.

This is all moot anyway, he is going to receive a QO and that coupled with the money that will be required to sign him will not make the acquisition worth it.

My dislike of Melky yes, is partly because of what he did. But I also think he's a very blah baseball player. He reminds me of Milton Bradley. If he signs with the Sox I could see disliking him as much as anybody who has worn the uniform.

Anybody but Melky, please.