Free Agents

LDF

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
Curious as to why you say that? If he can't indeed play the OF then I agree because I doubt either he or Abreu become a full time DH. That's why I was asking about the report of his ability to play the OF.

I know he's RH but so is Tomas. Is he simply not ML ready? I can't find much about the guy.

I don't think his bat is good enough to warrant the cost and a roster spot over someone like Andy Wilkins. I just don't see him as a fit, I believe he was Abreu's backup in Cuba, and doesn't really have the big bat profile of a lot of the other players that are being discussed. He is a guy that you would take a chance on with a minor league deal, but not throw a large signing bonus at.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
I don't think his bat is good enough to warrant the cost and a roster spot over someone like Andy Wilkins. I just don't see him as a fit, I believe he was Abreu's backup in Cuba, and doesn't really have the big bat profile of a lot of the other players that are being discussed. He is a guy that you would take a chance on with a minor league deal, but not throw a large signing bonus at.

those players were discuss another thread.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...92536&st=75

bottom line, and enticing package but I am questioning his

hit tools.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
If you haven't read this, it is great. SSS reviews 23 potential free agents... as items in the SkyMall catalog.

man it was so kool. I laugh really hard. I don't if he intended to be tongue in cheek

humor or not. but it is funny.

then again maybe it is me.

thanks for sharing. still I needed the laugh.

Here is an "all-in" FA approach for 2015:

1. Chase Headley for 4 years, $56M: great 3B defense, switch hitter, hope power returns, allows Gillaspie as trade chip

2. Kendry Morales for 2 years, $15M: Cuban, throw last year out due to late start, another switch hitter, can DH and play 1B. Teaming with Abreu would facilitate big comeback??

3. Emilio Bonifacio for 3 year, $10M: versatile, IF/OF, fast, would replace the pathetic L Garcia

4. Bullpen: a) Zach Duke for 3 years, $13M: LH, high K rate

b) Luke Gregerson for 3 years, $20M: one of the best RH relief pitchers, could close

5. Jason Hammel for 3 years $25M: gives us the RH starter, allows Bassit to go to bullpen

This adds approximately $ 45M to payroll, keeping us around $100M

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
2. Kendry Morales for 2 years, $15M: Cuban, throw last year out due to late start, another switch hitter, can DH and play 1B. Teaming with Abreu would facilitate big comeback??

Morales could be a good pickup. He's not that old and last season has his price at an all-time low, but at the same time it's such a ridiculous outlier and he's always been a good hitter. I'd prefer the rotating DH/play matchups construction, but if we have to employ a full-time DH, we could do worse.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
Here is an "all-in" FA approach for 2015:

1. Chase Headley for 4 years, $56M: great 3B defense, switch hitter, hope power returns, allows Gillaspie as trade chip

3. Emilio Bonifacio for 3 year, $10M: versatile, IF/OF, fast, would replace the pathetic L Garcia

4. Bullpen: a) Zach Duke for 3 years, $13M: LH, high K rate

b) Luke Gregerson for 3 years, $20M: one of the best RH relief pitchers, could close

5. Jason Hammel for 3 years $25M: gives us the RH starter, allows Bassit to go to bullpen

This adds approximately $ 45M to payroll, keeping us around $100M

interesting reading. well thought out. good job.

I saw this about Morales and I was gong to comment on it earlier but here goes.

on the rumor page the offseason plan on Cle, the reporter venture on it by saying

that he can see Cle going after Morales. the price tag could be a 1 yr at a low

salary to reestablish his value.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
interesting reading. well thought out. good job.

I saw this about Morales and I was gong to comment on it earlier but here goes.

on the rumor page the offseason plan on Cle, the reporter venture on it by saying

that he can see Cle going after Morales. the price tag could be a 1 yr at a low

salary to reestablish his value.

The problem with Morales being part of an "all in" campaign is...what happens if he continues being terrible next year? We spent $40 million on other guys and wound up with a .615 OPS from our DH spot and that costs us a playoff birth.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 03:18 PM)
The problem with Morales being part of an "all in" campaign is...what happens if he continues being terrible next year? We spent $40 million on other guys and wound up with a .615 OPS from our DH spot and that costs us a playoff birth.

that is a very good point. but all this, the performances of the

players are all a risk. the worst gamble in injury.

re Morales, he has had a up - down hitting career. it may be a

good gamble, esp if he came with a low 1 yr salary.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)

I don't disagree with your question, but we have to find a DH who can replace Dunn with the potential for better production but without tat terrible salary. Morales is a calculated gamble, with a good hitting history.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 11:24 AM)
that is a very good point. but all this, the performances of the

players are all a risk. the worst gamble in injury.

re Morales, he has had a up - down hitting career. it may be a

good gamble, esp if he came with a low 1 yr salary.

I don't disagree with it being a move the Sox could make, I disagree with it being a good gamble if we're spending $40 million elsewhere. We wouldn't just be risking the salary spent on Morales, we'd be risking the entire extra payroll boost.

If we're spending $40 million/year this offseason, then spend an extra $5 million and bring in a DH who had a better year last year than Morales. Otherwise, don't bother spending it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
I don't disagree with it being a move the Sox could make, I disagree with it being a good gamble if we're spending $40 million elsewhere. We wouldn't just be risking the salary spent on Morales, we'd be risking the entire extra payroll boost.

If we're spending $40 million/year this offseason, then spend an extra $5 million and bring in a DH who had a better year last year than Morales. Otherwise, don't bother spending it.

ohhh that is a great point. damn, I can't think of a counter now.

good job. :)

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
I don't disagree with your question, but we have to find a DH who can replace Dunn with the potential for better production but without tat terrible salary. Morales is a calculated gamble, with a good hitting history.

To that end, I would rather pursue Pedro Alvarez or Dom Brown, both have Dunn like power with potential to hit better. They will also both cost less from a financial and prospect standpoint.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
To that end, I would rather pursue Pedro Alvarez or Dom Brown, both have Dunn like power with potential to hit better. They will also both cost less from a financial and prospect standpoint.

Saying Domonic Brown has the potential to hit better is really stretching the word potential to its limits. He stunk just as badly as Morales last year, except he doesn't have Morales' track record or the excuse of signing with a team in the middle of the year.

Alvarez, I agree, is an interesting option.

If money is no object, then V-Mart is the ultimate answer. I do not think the Tigers will let him get away, and it is probably not a wise diecision to invest in a 36 year old. I am intrigued by Alvarez, but what do we have to offer the Pirates? Dominic Brown is Dayan Viciedo, so no thanks. And - I identified a 2-year deal for Morales because I believe as a Boras client that is what it will take.

Don't you guys see Abreu as a catalyst for a Morales comeback? A real Cuban connection This guy was a very good hitter prior to last year, when he held out and missed all of spring training.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Saying Domonic Brown has the potential to hit better is really stretching the word potential to its limits. He stunk just as badly as Morales last year, except he doesn't have Morales' track record or the excuse of signing with a team in the middle of the year.

Alvarez, I agree, is an interesting option.

Better than Dunn, not Morales. Morales is much better at putting the ball in play, but doesn't have the big power potential of Dunn, Brown, or Alvarez. Alvarez and Brown are both much more athletic than Morales and can at least run the bases, Morales has been more of a monolith since he injured his ankle. I like Morales a lot, but I am not sure how much he fits this team as constructed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)

Everyone can be terrible next year. No reason to ever spend money in an effort to improve. As Stacey says, if you are scared, buy a dog.

Morales with Boras being his agent, probably would opt for a one year deal instead of going really cheap for 2 or 3.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
Better than Dunn, not Morales. Morales is much better at putting the ball in play, but doesn't have the big power potential of Dunn, Brown, or Alvarez. Alvarez and Brown are both much more athletic than Morales and can at least run the bases, Morales has been more of a monolith since he injured his ankle. I like Morales a lot, but I am not sure how much he fits this team as constructed.

I agree with most of this, but I don't agree that Morales can't equal Brown's power. Brown has had one season as high as Morales' career ISO. His ISO in the minors is lower than Morales' career ISO. I'd take Morales before Brown and I don't think it's that close, even if you talk about acquisition cost.

I don't see 2014 as the start of a rapid decline for Morales; more like just a rotten fluke. Sounds like you feel roughly the same.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
Everyone can be terrible next year. No reason to ever spend money in an effort to improve. As Stacey says, if you are scared, buy a dog.

Not wanting to spend money on players you think are bad has nothing to do with being scared.