If you had to put your house on it...(Offseason predictions)

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
a)Do not trade our top prospects. We will be in the position we are in 2 years from now probably without a playoff appearance if we do that. The farm simply isn't there yet. It's improving quickly though.

And holding onto all your prospects is just as bad. Not all these guys are going to pan out, so you really need to scout your system and trade the guys you don't think will end up making it while their value is still high. This is what all great organizations do and we should be no different.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
And holding onto all your prospects is just as bad. Not all these guys are going to pan out, so you really need to scout your system and trade the guys you don't think will end up making it while their value is still high. This is what all great organizations do and we should be no different.

If teams could predict such things with reasonable accuracy the league would look totally different.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
a)Do not trade our top prospects. We will be in the position we are in 2 years from now probably without a playoff appearance if we do that. The farm simply isn't there yet. It's improving quickly though.

b)No rents that cost any talent to acquire - ridiculous for a 73 win team.

c)No good prospects for veterans off of bad years unless at a severe discount.

d)Get a good reliever(s). "Proven closer" Closer is not that important. Petricka and Putnam, both virtual rookies, have the stones to close and are likely to improve. Sox need 7th and 8th inning guys to get out of jams.

e)Be wary of giving up top draft choices for a FA. The hit rate for #1s is higher than people think, if the club does a good job scouting. This actually is a good year to do it, if a player warrants it.

Otherwise, looks okay.

a) I think the primary talent acquisition route for the White Sox this off-season will be free agency, however, if, for example, the Braves are offering up Justin Upton for a song, I think you have to jump on that.

b) see a

c) see a

d) Closer is not that important? I just simply disagree with that.

e) The highest draft choice the Sox can lose is their second rounder. That said, I think I put together a fairly decent roster under my second strategy without signing a player who got a QO.

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
I'm with ya. If I'm trading Montas it sure as hell won't be for a player that batted .217, 18HR and 149K's. I don't care what the players track record is.

Montas and Sanchez would be a massive discount for a player like Bruce. He had 1 bad year, but that's exactly why would't want to buy low on him now rather than any previous year when he was an all-star player every year. Sanchez isn't a player we will ever miss. He's just a throw in. Montas, while he does has a power arm, has trouble repeating his motion and after watching him in the AFL, I can see him becoming a power reliever. You trade a reliever and a utility IF for a guy like Bruce 8 days a week. I'd argue the Reds wouldn't even accept a deal like that considering neither Montas nor Sanchez are top prospects.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
I'm with ya. If I'm trading Montas it sure as hell won't be for a player that batted .217, 18HR and 149K's. I don't care what the players track record is.

sounds as if you are trading for D. Viciedo. at least DV didn't K as much.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
sounds as if you are trading for D. Viciedo. at least DV didn't K as much.

Well, Bruce is a better outfielder and does have very good numbers prior to the 2014 season ( despite striking out alot) but I'm just not willing to wager Montas on Bruce turning it around and regaining his old form. Bruce very well could have just had a down year, I'm just not willing to take the chance at the expense of Montas.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 11:27 PM)
Well, Bruce is a better outfielder and does have very good numbers prior to the 2014 season

( despite striking out alot) but I'm just not willing to wager Montas on Bruce turning it around and regaining his old form. Bruce very well could have just had a down year, I'm just not willing to take the chance at the expense of Montas.

I'm with you. for me, Montas is nearly untouchable as Anderson.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
Well, Bruce is a better outfielder and does have very good numbers prior to the 2014 season ( despite striking out alot) but I'm just not willing to wager Montas on Bruce turning it around and regaining his old form. Bruce very well could have just had a down year, I'm just not willing to take the chance at the expense of Montas.

Bruce and Viciedo aren't even close to the same player.

Bruce is only 27 years old. I'd bet it's a down year way before I'd think he suddenly forgot how to hit entering his prime. If he was like 32 or 33, you could argue he's getting old and may be set for a decline. But at 27, I'd put money on just a down year.

Also, I think you guys are overrating Montas a bit here. He's probably our 4th best pitching prospect at this point. I'd put Rodon, Danish and Spencer Adams all above him (Not now, but ceiling wise). I'd gladly give up that and a utility infielder for a guy who could be an all-star again very soon.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)

Bruce is only 27 years old. I'd bet it's a down year way before I'd think he suddenly forgot how to hit entering his prime. If he was like 32 or 33, you could argue he's getting old and may be set for a decline. But at 27, I'd put money on just a down year.

Also, I think you guys are overrating Montas a bit here. He's probably our 4th best pitching prospect at this point. I'd put Rodon, Danish and Spencer Adams all above him (Not now, but ceiling wise). I'd gladly give up that and a utility infielder for a guy who could be an all-star again very soon.

I hope you are right.

ref to Montas, I am one who is prob over rating him.

ummm let see. he is 21 yo next yr 22,

a power arm whether it would be as a SP or RP.

as a sp there is no reasonable person who is playing who we

can compare him to.

as a rp, he can be a great rp and for many yrs.

over rating ..... nah

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)

I think my hang up with Montas is that I'm not expecting the Sox to fill any holes in the rotation through FA over the next few years and would prefer to have as many young starting options as possible. Sale, Q and Rodon are the future but outside of that who knows. Now, if the Sox use Montas to acquire a starting pitcher, that's a different story.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 12:20 AM)
I think my hang up with Montas is that I'm not expecting the Sox to fill any holes in the rotation

through FA over the next few years and would prefer to have as many young starting options as

possible. Sale, Q and Rodon are the future but outside of that who knows. Now, if the Sox use

Montas to acquire a starting pitcher, that's a different story.

why??? get Bruce for what 2 yrs???

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
why??? get Bruce for what 2 yrs???

Not Bruce, he's a RF, although he does have a 2017 option worth 13M so he could be had for three years...

I would be willing to use Montas as part of a package for a starting pitcher.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)

The only guy in the minors with a higher ceiling than Montas in our system is Rodon. He isn't as finished of a product as the other guys, but you can't teach the arm he has.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
The only guy in the minors with a higher ceiling than Montas in our system is Rodon. He isn't as finished of a product as the other guys, but you can't teach the arm he has.

But he is the biggest question mark of the four to stay in the rotation. If he was a no doubt starter with that arm, then that'd be awesome, but he seems more like a power reliever and there is no minor league reliever I would ever covet over a good position player.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 06:58 AM)
But he is the biggest question mark of the four to stay in the rotation. If he was a no doubt starter with that arm, then that'd be awesome, but he seems more like a power reliever and there is no minor league reliever I would ever covet over a good position player.

it is always be understood that he is a question mark as you said. but you

many are advocating is to trade him now before he has a chance to answer

those questions. before he truly develops. he is only 21.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 2, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)

The early returns seem pretty positive on him as a starter.

I wouldn't be giving up montas that easily. Pitching this year has been really good besides the injury that he lost sometime to. Don't know if anyone watched the Arizona fall league stars game on Saturday but he pitched 2 scoreless innings. The guys is pretty much a bartolo colon spitting image with physical appearance and the way he throws the ball. He is a really big dude. He hit 102 mph at one point. Pretty good off speed stuff. Pretty much needs to harness his fast ball command cause he did get a little wild. Plus he is rated the 3rd best prospect for the sox right now behind rodon and anderson. Even if he can't fully make it as a starter he would be a really good reliever.

I'll throw out one from left field.

The Sox acquire Jeff Samardjiza from Oakland for prospects. Sale and Samardjiza would be a sick 1-2 and if the Sox can sign him to an extension, even better. If the Sox aren't good and he won't sign an extension then deal him in July. He landed the Cubs Addison Russell and could be a great trade chip for the Sox too if they felt that was the route to go.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
I wouldn't be giving up montas that easily. Pitching this year has been really good besides the injury that he lost sometime to. Don't know if anyone watched the Arizona fall league stars game on Saturday but he pitched 2 scoreless innings. The guys is pretty much a bartolo colon spitting image with physical appearance and the way he throws the ball. He is a really big dude. He hit 102 mph at one point. Pretty good off speed stuff. Pretty much needs to harness his fast ball command cause he did get a little wild. Plus he is rated the 3rd best prospect for the sox right now behind rodon and anderson. Even if he can't fully make it as a starter he would be a really good reliever.

I think you're confusing "Montas sucks" with "He's good, but not worth keeping if it means we can get Jay Bruce back". I like Montas. I love his arm. I just don't think you gamble with a guy who MAY end up in the bullpen when you could be getting a guy like Jay Bruce back in return. There is a big difference in value if he ends up as a starter, or ends up as a reliever. I'm not willing to place his value at the highest end of that teeter-totter and have it cost us a chance to get Bruce. That's just my opinion. If people here want to think he's untouchable, so be it, but you'll never convince me he's not worth a guy like Jay Bruce, not at this stage in Montas' development.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
I think you're confusing "Montas sucks" with "He's good, but not worth keeping if it means we can get Jay Bruce back". I like Montas. I love his arm. I just don't think you gamble with a guy who MAY end up in the bullpen when you could be getting a guy like Jay Bruce back in return. There is a big difference in value if he ends up as a starter, or ends up as a reliever. I'm not willing to place his value at the highest end of that teeter-totter and have it cost us a chance to get Bruce. That's just my opinion. If people here want to think he's untouchable, so be it, but you'll never convince me he's not worth a guy like Jay Bruce, not at this stage in Montas' development.

I'm all for getting Bruce, as he was in one of my first off season proposals, but I don't think I would give up on Montas quite yet.

I'd offer Viciedo, Beck, Sanchez and Bassitt for Bruce and Marshall.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
I'll throw out one from left field.

The Sox acquire Jeff Samardjiza from Oakland for prospects. Sale and Samardjiza would be a sick 1-2 and if the Sox can sign him to an extension, even better. If the Sox aren't good and he won't sign an extension then deal him in July. He landed the Cubs Addison Russell and could be a great trade chip for the Sox too if they felt that was the route to go.

No rents if the cost is legitimate prospects.

Sign him next year if we want him.

As for a trade chit, we will have to give up prospects to get him, so that, at best, washes out.

Last time we did a deal with Oakland and then flipped a short time later, well, it was ugly.

Edited by GreenSox