Carlos Gonzalez

GGajewski18

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Ha, both are literally the baseball definition of a spare part. Sanchez is (at this point) a decent utility infielder that has maybe a 1/3 shot to turn into an average MLB middle infielder either at SS or 2B. Hawkins is a B- prospect that hasn't yet played above A ball.

You trade those guys 10/10 for an established MLB player like Gonzo. Not saying Gonzo would even be a particularly good target (don't know enough about his injury history or his splits outside Coors) but those guys are by every definition "spare parts" that would be used in a trade like this.

Not even close to reality.

Hawkins is our number 1 outfield prospect, an easy top 10 in our system, with excellent, albeit unrefined tools, who just had a bounceback season. Nothing about him fits the definition of a spare part.

The Sox have no second baseman and may be peddling the SS. Those 2 positions will be divided among 3 players, of whom Sanchez is one.

Now it's also true I have little interest in a highly paid player with De Aza numbers away from Coors field who is poor defensively and who has big warning signs indicating sharp decline. He may be iconic to the Rockies, but he's extremely flawed in my eye.

The Sox need a good fielding LF who can hit -and that will be the hardest need to fill, no doubt.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)

Hawkins is our number 1 outfield prospect, an easy top 10 in our system, with excellent, albeit unrefined tools, who just had a bounceback season. Nothing about him fits the definition of a spare part.

The Sox have no second baseman and may be peddling the SS. Those 2 positions will be divided among 3 players, of whom Sanchez is one.

Now it's also true I have little interest in a highly paid player with De Aza numbers away from Coors field who is poor defensively and who has big warning signs indicating sharp decline. He may be iconic to the Rockies, but he's extremely flawed in my eye.

The Sox need a good fielding LF who can hit -and that will be the hardest need to fill, no doubt.

And from that list....Rasmus, Melky Cabrera, Morse, Torii Hunter, Nelson Cruz and Nick Markakis, good luck choosing from among them.

M.Cabrera, Morse, Hunter (even at his age) and Cruz (except for the 2nd half decline) can obviously hit, but then your defense is not taking a step forward. We're building the anti-Royals, a diametrically opposed opposite if we were to trade Alexei.

Markakis can sort of hit and sort of field, but not superior by any stretch at either, especially for the price tag.

Then you have the Rasmus Enigma.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
Hawkins Beck and Sanchez

Assuming the medicals looked ok, I would do this trade in heartbeat. I think certain people are overplaying CarGo's home/road splits here. As Eminor3rd mentioned, a lot of players are significantly better at home and I've read some theories on a Coors Field hangover effect that actually widens the gap.

Let's say you make this trade and then sign Melky Cabrera. With no other changes you could be looking at the following lineup:

1. Adam Eaton, CF

2. Marcus Semien, 2B

3. Melky Cabrera, DH/LF

4. Jose Abreu, 1B

5. Carlos Gonzalez, LF/RF/DH

6. Avi Garcia, RF/DH

7. Conor Gillaspie, 3B

8. Tyler Flowers, C

9. Alexei Ramirez, SS

As long as you have a platoon partner for Conor, that has the potential to be a very dangerous lineup.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:37 PM)

GreenSox, having lived in Denver for many years, I have seen a lot of Cargo. I am as aware of his danger signs and his contract as you are. But, he is not a poor defensive OF. Far from it. If you stick him in one outfield spot and leave him there, we're talking gold glove consideration for that position. I don't care what defensive metrics are out there on him.

While on Cargo, there is an excellent article published a few days ago at purplerow.com. It gives 5 reasons for and against moving him. I cannot get the link, however. Maybe one of you guys can. Tks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
And from that list....Rasmus, Melky Cabrera, Morse, Torii Hunter, Nelson Cruz and Nick Markakis, good luck choosing from among them.

M.Cabrera, Morse, Hunter (even at his age) and Cruz (except for the 2nd half decline) can obviously hit, but then your defense is not taking a step forward. We're building the anti-Royals, a diametrically opposed opposite if we were to trade Alexei.

Markakis can sort of hit and sort of field, but not superior by any stretch at either, especially for the price tag.

Boston is peddling 3 corner outfielders ( Victorino, Craig and Cespedes but they want piching in return. Article in Providence paper today indicates Rasmus is probably the top FA corner since Markakis is probably returning to Baltimore. So Hahn may have to go trade route. Maybe Alexei and a prospect or two could bring a corner from someone.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 06:44 AM)
GreenSox, having lived in Denver for many years, I have seen a lot of Cargo. I am as aware of his danger signs and his contract as you are. But, he is not a poor defensive OF. Far from it. If you stick him in one outfield spot and leave him there, we're talking gold glove consideration for that position. I don't care what defensive metrics are out there on him.

While on Cargo, there is an excellent article published a few days ago at purplerow.com. It gives 5 reasons for and against moving him. I cannot get the link, however. Maybe one of you guys can. Tks.

Here's the Purple Row article:

http://www.purplerow.com/2014/11/2/7062825...-rockies-rumors

Interesting read. Writer suggests the Rox would look for pitching and infielders in any trade. The Beck/Sanchez/Hawkins proposal might be a little light, but it's on the right path.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)

No question, the free agent list for OF is weak this year.

Not interested in trading for declining players either.

Maybe Hahn find an Eaton-type deal for a young OF.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 08:39 PM)
Assuming the medicals looked ok, I would do this trade in heartbeat. I think certain people are overplaying CarGo's home/road splits here. As Eminor3rd mentioned, a lot of players are significantly better at home and I've read some theories on a Coors Field hangover effect that actually widens the gap.

Let's say you make this trade and then sign Melky Cabrera. With no other changes you could be looking at the following lineup:

1. Adam Eaton, CF

2. Marcus Semien, 2B

3. Melky Cabrera, DH/LF

4. Jose Abreu, 1B

5. Carlos Gonzalez, LF/RF/DH

6. Avi Garcia, RF/DH

7. Conor Gillaspie, 3B

8. Tyler Flowers, C

9. Alexei Ramirez, SS

As long as you have a platoon partner for Conor, that has the potential to be a very dangerous lineup.

How are u going to afford those two massive salaries and make any other improvements to the team? We'd all love to plug Hanley Ramirez and cargo or ramirez and MeCabrera etc into the lineup.

You're going to trade Danks somehow?

Because those two salaries added will make improving the rotation and bullpen next to impossible.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 05:44 AM)

The old guy speaks the truth. Cargo is a very good defensive OF, still, and is likely exhibit A for why you shouldn't really trust UZR. The outfielders are excessively spread out in Coors by necessity. All the extra hits, that literally wouldn't have been caught by ANY OF, have worked against his metrics. That's the theory I'm going with anyway, because 600+ games of the eye test tell a polar opposite story from the DRS.

Injury, and the chronic nature of his finger issues, specifically, are the giant caveat with Cargo. If the medical evals are solid, I'd love to get him.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

I think I'm starting to jump on the wagon here after some time to think more about the idea. A younger and cheaper CarGo could be a better alternative to what the Dodgers have to offer.

He has enough pop ( though not necessarily ideal) to bat fourth behind Abreu and I like the idea of having a guy with some speed to get the line moving again after Abreu clears the bases with a HR.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
I think I'm starting to jump on the wagon here after some time to think more about the idea. A younger and cheaper CarGo could be a better alternative to what the Dodgers have to offer.

He has enough pop ( though not necessarily ideal) to bat fourth behind Abreu and I like the idea of having a guy with some speed to get the line moving again after Abreu clears the bases with a HR.

I just don't know. everybody has an opinion and I will respect that. but..... I am not

excited about it. if we were going to go for someone, why not Edwin Encarnacion from

tor. get a window to redo his contract. tor is hurting with salary, even if they were bid

on some players. yeah there salary is what 25+ mil right about now.

but I was tossing that out there.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
I just don't know. everybody has an opinion and I will respect that. but..... I am not

excited about it. if we were going to go for someone, why not Edwin Encarnacion from

tor. get a window to redo his contract. tor is hurting with salary, even if they were bid

Edwin is a bona fide beast and would look very nice on the Sox, but you'd have to give up an actual ton.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)

Toronto is talking about meeting with Pablo Sandoval and Russell Martin. I'm not sure how much their hurting to move salary at this point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
Toronto is talking about meeting with Pablo Sandoval and Russell Martin. I'm not sure how much their hurting to move salary at this point.

that is what I am talking about. they got Mark B at what 17 mil, Edwin at 10+ and they

are going to need some replacement players, how bout pitching. the sox could come in

like they might with the dodgers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
Then WTF was with them moving Lind?

I have no idea, but I've read multiple reports and they all seem to contradict anything Toronto is doing. I just don't see why they'd deal Encarnacion or Bautista, but they could fetch a huge haul for either one of those two.