Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
So in turn, they would allow the Sox to talk extension with Shark in exchange for more/better assets? I guess that makes sense. I just can't see the Sox being able to sign him to the contract he would get in FA. If this scenario we're speaking of wasn't a hypothetical, and instead what is actually happening behind the scenes, I see the Sox selling the team and Chicago to Samardazija, offering him more than the Cubs offered but less than his market value, and Samardzija's team politely says no, and it's on to the next RHSP option for the Sox. Holy run-on sentence.

You know what I just thought of that's quite interesting... the market for starting pitchers this offseason has not developed yet! I'm not saying that Shark would take a lowball offer... but if offered a "fair deal" (4/80 with a vesting option for a 5th year?), somehow Shark, a pitcher already under contract, would be the pitcher who sets things in motion for the SP market. And all of a sudden GMs around the league have a little bit of leverage against Lester, Scherzer and Shields.

To add a little bit more to that thought... Scott Boras has been talking all offseason about how Max Scherzer actually has the arm of a younger pitcher. Less pitches, less mileage. He's trying to use that as a big selling point to get Scherzer a 200 million dollar contract. Information has been posted in this thread about how Shark is almost in the same boat as Max Scherzer in regards to "mileage". Albeit, he's not on the same level as Scherzer as a pitcher, but all of a sudden GMs would be able to dispel Boras' selling point. "Yeah Scott, we know Max has thrown less pitches then a typical 30 year old, but so has Shark, and look what he signed for"

Getting way way ahead of myself here, but all in good fun. :D

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (South Sider @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
You know what I just thought of that's quite interesting... the market for starting pitchers this offseason has not developed yet! I'm not saying that Shark would take a lowball offer... but if offered a "fair deal" (4/80 with a vesting option for a 5th year?), somehow Shark, a pitcher already under contract, would be the pitcher who sets things in motion for the SP market. And all of a sudden GMs around the league have a little bit of leverage against Lester, Scherzer and Shields.

To add a little bit more to that thought... Scott Boras has been talking all offseason about how Max Scherzer actually has the arm of a younger pitcher. Less pitches, less mileage. He's trying to use that as a big selling point to get Scherzer a 200 million dollar contract. Information has been posted in this thread about how Shark is almost in the same boat as Max Scherzer in regards to "mileage". Albeit, he's not on the same level as Scherzer as a pitcher, but all of a sudden GMs would be able to dispel Boras' selling point. "Yeah Scott, we know Max has thrown less pitches then a typical 30 year old, but so has Shark, and look what he signed for"

Getting way way ahead of myself here, but all in good fun. :D

I'm not sure I call that a "fair deal". That's ace type money, and let's be honest... He's not an ace. $20M a year is a bit steep, IMO. I'd guess something like 5 years/85 MAYBE 90 or so should do it.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
I'm not sure I call that a "fair deal". That's ace type money, and let's be honest... He's not an ace. $20M a year is a bit steep, IMO. I'd guess something like 5 years/85 MAYBE 90 or so should do it.

$20 mil a year is pretty close to the going rate for a #2-#3 starter on the FA market these days, which is why this makes so little sense. That's the kind of money it'll take to extend the guy and I don't know why the White Sox are better off trading a top flight player for the right to do that when they could just go out and buy a free agent or two if they were willing to blow that kind of money on a pitcher.

If we're going to spend >$80 million on a pitcher, f*** it, hold onto Anderson and Semien and go sign Shields.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)

That WAS ace money. Market continues to move.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
$20 mil a year is pretty close to the going rate for a #2-#3 starter on the FA market these days, which is why this makes so little sense. That's the kind of money it'll take to extend the guy and I don't know why the White Sox are better off trading a top flight player for the right to do that when they could just go out and buy a free agent or two if they were willing to blow that kind of money on a pitcher.

If we're going to spend >$80 million on a pitcher, f*** it, hold onto Anderson and Semien and go sign Shields.

If he's really worth a 5 year/$100 deal, count me out. That's disgusting for a guy his age that hasn't show THAT much. I agree with you, about Shields, though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)

That makes a lot of sense. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Sox feel Shark has a better chance of "lasting" through a 4-5 year contract as opposed to Shields.

There's also the value of giving the Royals a 2nd round pick should the Sox sign Shields, which I imagine they aren't too keen on doing either.

The possibilities become, assuming Shark and Shields would get the same contract in free agency:

Prospect(s)(hopefully not Anderson) for Shark

2nd round pick to KC for Shields

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (South Sider @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
That makes a lot of sense. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Sox feel Shark has a better chance of "lasting" through a 4-5 year contract as opposed to Shields.

There's also the value of giving the Royals a 2nd round pick should the Sox sign Shields, which I imagine they aren't too keen on doing either.

A prospect who has already reached AA (Anderson) and should be in most MLB top 50 lists or a prospect who has already gotten to the big leagues (Semien) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a 2nd round pick.

I could probably add more >>> and still be accurate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:30 PM)
A prospect who has already reached AA (Anderson) and should be in most MLB top 50 lists or a prospect who has already gotten to the big leagues (Semien) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> a 2nd round pick.

I could probably add more >>> and still be accurate.

I don't know. I just don't think the Billy Beane can use the fact that he used Russel in a package of players to acquire Shark against the Sox to get them to include Anderson. Absolutely, Shark has value and he will require promising players, but we are talking about one of our best prospects and if Beane is trying to make this trade happen more then Hahn (which it almost seems like... the A's have been the most active team this offseason), then odds are Anderson is not in the deal. In which case I believe it becomes a no brainer to trade for Shark rather then signing Shields.

Still.... the sad faced emoticons that Anderson tweeted earlier....

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Well for all the talk about the Cubs offseason to put them in contention...our offseason has been much more exciting so far.

Part of me really hope really hopes they don't end up with Lester because Cubs fans are so ridiculous when it comes to exaggerating EACH DAMN MOVE THEY MAKE.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:38 PM)
Part of me really hope really hopes they don't end up with Lester because Cubs fans are so ridiculous when it comes to exaggerating EACH DAMN MOVE THEY MAKE.

Lester is dragging this process along quite a bit

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:39 PM)
It's all relative though champ. What's with your avatar by the way? Is that Dr. Drew wearing Timberlands?

It's some really awkward looking dude in Timberlands holding some bills. The original caption said "keep the change". Something about the avi cracks me up, man.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
I have to say, isolated from pay/prospects - the idea of having samardjiza as your actual #3 rather than your fake #1 or #2 is pretty exciting to me. Sale/Q/Shark/Rodon is a hell of a rotation.

Does any worry that a contract like Shark could get with the Sox will offend Sale?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 09:44 PM)
Does any worry that a contract like Shark could get with the Sox will offend Sale?

Sale knows why he took that deal. He knows he has an injury risk and possibly could flame out and never get more than his rookie contract + mlb pension. For him it was pray he gets through 6 years and make $150 million, or at least to his arb years, or sign a long term deal at a discount and some of that amount guaranteed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)

Completely agree. Why are we giving up anything of value to go after Shark rather than just pay McCarthy/Shields/Maeda?

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Not sure if posted

@pgammo: With the White Red, Red Sox, Rangers, others talking Samadzija, AL GM says "there is no way he will sign and not go to free agency."

I'm taking a pass on him. Giving up too much for a 1 year rental.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)
Not sure if posted

@pgammo: With the White Red, Red Sox, Rangers, others talking Samadzija, AL GM says "there is no way he will sign and not go to free agency."

I wish I could take Gammons more seriously, but everyone knows he is a Red Sox schill. If that's true though, good luck to the A's on getting anything of consequence for him.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
Hope we get an update soon either way. Anything else from the Illinois paper guy who said it'd be done this weekend?

His latest:

Jim Benson ‏@Pg_Benson 42s42 seconds ago

ISU 36, YSU 35, 15:36. All sorts of offensive problems for Redbirds. Defense saving grace, but YSU had 4-pt play. Ouch. #isuhoops