Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
Also just want to point out that the A's #1 and #3 prospects are short stops and if the trade is indeed centered around Alexei and Samardjiza then I doubt very seriously Anderson is involved. That's assuming Alexei and Samardjiza are the only big names being talked about.

A possible trade could look like Reddick, Samardjiza + extension for Alexei, Semien and Montas?

For Smardjiza and Reddick I'd offer up Alexei, Semien, Ravelo, Beck, and Trayce.

Edit: Scratch that, I'd take Alexei off the table and throw in someone like Hawkins or just do Alexei + Ravelo + Beck

I think Samardzija could maybe change his stance on signing a extension. The cubs kept trying to lock him up and but you got to realize thats a team far away from competing. I think for the cubs to sign free agents right now they have to over pay or wait to closer to competing. Oakland was never going to lock him up cause they don't do that for big free agents. They sell a couple years before free agency or when a player is hitting arbitration and might get expensive. The sox might be more enticing for they have good young core players ready now. Alexei and maybe semien could be good for Samardjiza. Alexei gives a stop gap for Oakland for ss and they could always turn around and trade him at the deadline with a year and half potentially to the acquiring team. I have to imagine if the sox are trading for Samardjiza then they hope they have a chance of signing him to a extension.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
You guys may not want to hear it, but that's 100% the exact thing that was said over and over and over again about Samardzija when he was with the Cubs. That's supposedly why hew as traded.

You have to spend enough money on him to get him out of that mode. In other words, you're talking about a 9 figure deal to get him to give that up, because that's close to what he'll get as a free agent.

I know that's what he's said for the last year or two, but I don't feel like Rick would even be pursuing then as he still talks about going after controllable assets on numerous occasions. Unless the trade was for less than we expected and he's just looking for a year of competition with Shark and then getting the draft pick compensation.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
I know that's what he's said for the last year or two, but I don't feel like Rick would even be pursuing then as he still talks about going after controllable assets on numerous occasions. Unless the trade was for less than we expected and he's just looking for a year of competition with Shark and then getting the draft pick compensation.

That's kinda what I think. It seems odd to give up much of anything for a 1 year rental and a pick (that is always a crap shoot). Especially trying to rebuild your farm, is giving up a couple of prospects now worth a 1 year rental and a 2nd round pick in 2016?

I think Hahn is looking to make moves that serve competing now and in the future but I could be wrong.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
Don't you think that is an awful lot to offer? I much prefer Samardjiza, with no extension, for Semien and a lesser prospect, like Beck, or perhaps just Alexei.

Montas could end up being Samardjiza's replacement, when he files for free agency, at the end of the season.

I like Montas' potential upside as much as anyone but his walks in fall league were a bit more than expected from how he pitched in Winston and since he's only pitched 5 innings in AA so its really no guarantee he will be ready in 2016 as a starter. He needs time to develop his slider and change as well as his command. If the Sox are truly trying build a potential winner, Samardjiza certainly helps that cause now and for the years to come if he were to be extended while Montas would still be developing.

Call me crazy but if I had to trade either Montas or Danish, I would chose to trade Montas. Danish throws strikes, induces ALOT of ground balls with wicked movement and the one I hope the Sox hold onto if possible.

I'm really not a fan of the Sox trading for Shark and preferredthey did not. I do admit he would solidify the #3 for years to come with an extension. The Sox #1,2,3 would be set through the 2019 season with Rodon factoring in at some point and likely be the #4 tho he projects much better than a typical #4. Between Noesi, Bassitt, Beck and down the road... Danish, the #5 will sort itself out as well as the #6.

Though I'm not a fan of trading for Samardjiza, I can understand why fans would want to.

Why are acquiring a pitcher, on a one year deal, in order to compete this year, and building for the future, mutually exclusive?

Unless the Sox have to give up part of their core, going forward, in order to obtain their RH starter, how would they be jeopardizing their future?

When Samardjiza turns down a qualifying offer, the Sox could simply take the draft pick, and use the money available then, to acquire another

pitcher, if needed. I'm sorry, but I just don't see the inherent conflict between that strategy, and not jeopardizing the future.

Please enlighten me, if I'm missing something.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)
Why are acquiring a pitcher, on a one year deal, in order to compete this year, and building for the future, mutually exclusive?

Unless the Sox have to give up part of their core, going forward, in order to obtain their RH starter, how would they be jeopardizing their future?

When Samardjiza turns down a qualifying offer, the Sox could simply take the draft pick, and use the money available then, to acquire another

pitcher, if needed. I'm sorry, but I just don't see the inherent conflict between that strategy, and not jeopardizing the future.

Thank you. Neither is aquiring LaRoche defining Sox as WIN NOW mode.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)

Anyone in the org who has been named, Semien or Anderson, is a guy who could help us right now and in the long term.

A qualifying offer pick, a 2nd rounder, has a very poor chance of even getting to AA, or even reaching as far as Semien has gotten. On top of that, our 2nd rounder this year is probably 4-ish years away. A 2nd rounder in 2017 is someone we might think about seeing in 2020-2021.

This is not a help in rebuilding. A comp pick is a tiny value compared to a AA level minor leaguer or a guy who is close to reaching the big leagues. They're years away and if they were going to be present in the near future they'd be a first rounder.

None of this makes a case to me about this being anything other than a huge rebuilding setback and a very poor idea. "We can spend the money next year" is accurate but it's just silly - why give up a guy who could contribute to our roster for 6 years for a sandwich pick and 1 year of a #3 pitcher if you're not 100% ready to compete this year?

If we'd spent $70 million on Victor Martinez and $100 million on Hanley Ramirez to fill our corner OF spot, fine, Samardija would fit with that. That's "all in, we're winning this year". Instead, giving up guys we have long term control over for a sandwich pick, that's backwards.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)

Future members of the team's core are the players being speculated about being sent to Oakland. Semien for example. The average for an MLB 2nd baseman this year was a .683 OPS. Semien in his half-year of MLB at bats has put up a .673 OPS. Most reasonable people think he can do a lot better than that. He did do a lot better than that in his September call-up, after getting more seasoning at AAA.

Is it sensible to give up several years of an above average every day 2nd baseman starting at a league minimum salary for one year of Samardzija? When you can instead just go out and sign a free agent starting pitcher?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
Anyone in the org who has been named, Semien or Anderson, is a guy who could help us right now and in the long term.

A qualifying offer pick, a 2nd rounder, has a very poor chance of even getting to AA, or even reaching as far as Semien has gotten. On top of that, our 2nd rounder this year is probably 4-ish years away. A 2nd rounder in 2017 is someone we might think about seeing in 2020-2021.

This is not a help in rebuilding. A comp pick is a tiny value compared to a AA level minor leaguer or a guy who is close to reaching the big leagues. They're years away and if they were going to be present in the near future they'd be a first rounder.

None of this makes a case to me about this being anything other than a huge rebuilding setback and a very poor idea. "We can spend the money next year" is accurate but it's just silly - why give up a guy who could contribute to our roster for 6 years for a sandwich pick and 1 year of a #3 pitcher if you're not 100% ready to compete this year?

If we'd spent $70 million on Victor Martinez and $100 million on Hanley Ramirez to fill our corner OF spot, fine, Samardija would fit with that. That's "all in, we're winning this year". Instead, giving up guys we have long term control over for a sandwich pick, that's backwards.

If we trade for Shark then that signals we're 100 percent ready to compete this year. The fact that you add a top of the rotation starter while only adding 9.5 mill or so is absolutely huge as it still allows you to make other moves and that's if Oakland doesn't pick up some of that salary.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)

You make some good and valid points. I'm just saying that if you don't sign Samardjiza, at the end of this coming season, you have probably $20 million more

to spend, than if you do sign him. Moreover, with him in the rotation this year, and the other 2 holes filled, one in the outfield and one more in the bullpen, I do

feel that the Sox could compete in the wide open Central Division race.

While Semien is a guy who could help now and long term, there are in house alternatives, who could also contribute at the same positions. If you keep Alexei

another year or two, and use either Sanchez or Johnson at 2ND, you have plenty of young potential core, middle infielders to help now, and in the future.

I do agree with you that withholding Anderson from the deal would be a prime objective.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)

I wouldn't give up Anderson unless there is already an extension on the table....However Semien seems to be a guy who is behind Johnson long term at 2B, Lexi and then Anderson at SS, and he doesn't look like he can really hang at 3B. If they can somehow get Jeff for Semien as the main piece I'd have zero problem with them hypothetically trading Semien for what would be a top 40 pick.

And that would be worst case. Best case they can extend him right away or they can continue talks throughout the year and extend him at some point without him hitting the open market

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
I wouldn't give up Anderson unless there is already an extension on the table....However Semien seems to be a guy who is behind Johnson long term at 2B, Lexi and then Anderson at SS, and he doesn't look like he can really hang at 3B. If they can somehow get Jeff for Semien as the main piece I'd have zero problem with them hypothetically trading Semien for what would be a top 40 pick.

And that would be worst case. Best case they can extend him right away or they can continue talks throughout the year and extend him at some point without him hitting the open market

Makes me wonder if Samardjiza is not considering an extension until after Scherzer and Lester have signed and reset the market price for starting pitchers. Samardjiza's price/value will likely go up accordingly.

Or he's just hell bent on FA after the 2015 season.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
So a trade will happen soon

I'm not sure why he always has to have a word in on everything that goes on in Chicago baseball. He's rarely right and never insightful.

"I can confirm the WhiteSox are showing interest in X" That insightful tweet after every big national writer talked about it the prior day...

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
I'd rather pay market price for Scherzer than trade anything of value for 1 year of Shark and then having to pay him market price

Realistically, the cost won't be much different and Scherzer is obviously the better pitcher, IMO. Plus they don't have to give up any big name prospects.

Edited by SoCalSox