Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 01:51 AM)
I talked to Samardzija's cousin tonight, but he doesn't seem to have any info. All he really gave me a glimpse in to was that Jeff may take an extension for less than market value if it means he gets to stay near home and play for his childhood team. But he's just speculating. Maybe an extension of 5 yrs/$90M works instead of 5 yrs/$105M or something.

Without getting into the numbers I bet thisi is what Sox are counting on. That's why I think he will eventually end up here.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)
yes i agree with you except not at the expense of emptying the farm system. there are

other options such as free agency.

The proposed deals aren't emptying out the farm system. It's trading one of the best milb players, which is usually what it tales.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 12:51 AM)
I talked to Samardzija's cousin tonight, but he doesn't seem to have any info. All he really gave me a glimpse in to was that Jeff may take an extension for less than market value if it means he gets to stay near home and play for his childhood team. But he's just speculating. Maybe an extension of 5 yrs/$90M works instead of 5 yrs/$105M or something.

I realize the Cubs weren't his favorite team growing up, but if he cared that much about playing near home, he would have signed a team friendly extension with them years ago.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
You're being ridiculous if you think Semien for Shark is too much and once again I'm a big fan of Marcus.

The one thing people keep skipping over is the fact that Shark is basically going to make nothing this year(relative to top of the rotation starters) and still allows them to improve the team in other areas because they'd still have money to mess around with.

Thank you. Why do so few understand this?

I will say that "making nothing this year" is a bit of an exaggeration, even "relative to top of the rotation starters". I put it this way; "he will make about half of

what he will get per year, on his new free agency contract, next season". I thought that would make the point quite clear, but apparently there are some who

would disagree with us.

Perhaps the way to make this point is to stress that a contract extension is only a positive thing, if the terms are reasonable. Many of the existing free agent

contracts, have become significant burdens to the clubs carrying them. Why covet such "albatross" contracts. I'd much prefer getting a guy for half of the money,

and non of the longer term risk.

I do agree with those who are opposed to giving up a top prospect like Tim Anderson, for a one year rental of Samardjiza. However, a surplus part like Semien, is

very reasonable, and there is always the chance that he could be replaced by the draft pick that would come with losing Samardjiza, at the end of the season.

The money saved by not having to sign a multi year free agent contract, can buy you a lot of Marcus Semien type players, should you really feel that you need one.

Edited by Lillian

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN · 19h 19 hours ago

A White Sox player that Oakland has evaluated is middle infielder Marcus Semien: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/semiema01.shtml … 24 years old, Cal product.

I don't know if the was posted, but this was from yesterday.

I'm trying to find another retweet someone had that said that an AL scout said there is no way Jeff would sign an extension without testing free agency.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 06:50 AM)
Thank you. Why do so few understand this?

I will say that "making nothing this year" is a bit of an exaggeration, even "relative to top of the rotation starters". I put it this way; "he will make about half of

what he will get per year, on his new free agency contract, next season". I thought that would make the point quite clear, but apparently there are some who

would disagree with us.

Perhaps the way to make this point is to stress that a contract extension is only a positive thing, if the terms are reasonable. Many of the existing free agent

contracts, have become significant burdens to the clubs carrying them. Why covet such "albatross" contracts. I'd much prefer getting a guy for half of the money,

and non of the longer term risk.

The problem is it's still a relative long shot to make the postseason this year even with Shark and some more additions.

Beane is not going to move him for Semien. It's going to take someone like Anderson, or perhaps Alexei + Semien.

The odds that Beane can hold onto Shark and move him at the deadline for a package similar to Semien + are very high.

This leaves both teams with little impetus to make a trade today, unless the White Sox believe they can sign Shark to a reasonable extension, thereby extending his value into the more likely window of success in '16-18. If they feel as though he's going to want to test free agency or receive above-market value as consideration for bypassing free agency, then there is really little value to acquiring him right now in exchange for anything they perceive to be critical to their success moving forward.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 10:01 AM)
Look guys even cats have sources now: Monocled Cat Insider @CatInsyder · 2h 2 hours ago

Hearing now that deal would be built around: Cespedes-CHW, Alexei Ramirez-OAK, Samardzija-BOS. No word on if other pieces involved yet

I hope this is untrue. Cespedes is not that good. I'm sure Boston would love this trade.

Just a thought...

Maybe the A's and Sox have a deal in place already, but they're trying to get the Braves or other teams involved in a bigger trade. And if they can't get it done, they'll just deal with each other and move on.

Sounds like the A's and Braves are talking Upton and Gattis too, without Samardzija, so who the hell knows anymore.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Just a thought...

Maybe the A's and Sox have a deal in place already, but they're trying to get the Braves or other teams involved in a bigger trade. And if they can't get it done, they'll just deal with each other and move on.

Sounds like the A's and Braves are talking Upton and Gattis too, without Samardzija, so who the hell knows anymore.

Yeah, today is still part of the weekend, so Benson can still be right regarding his tweet from couple days ago. I'd still love Shark and Upton on this team. I'd give up Anderson for that.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
Yeah, today is still part of the weekend, so Benson can still be right regarding his tweet from couple days ago. I'd still love Shark and Upton on this team. I'd give up Anderson for that.

If anything it sounds like oakland wants Upton and gattis. So if Samardzija goes to the sox and those two to oakland, what would the sox need to send to atlanta?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
I realize the Cubs weren't his favorite team growing up, but if he cared that much about playing near home, he would have signed a team friendly extension with them years ago.

I have to imagine Theo helped kill that hope.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
Look guys even cats have sources now: Monocled Cat Insider @CatInsyder · 2h 2 hours ago

Hearing now that deal would be built around: Cespedes-CHW, Alexei Ramirez-OAK, Samardzija-BOS. No word on if other pieces involved yet

Ewwww.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
The problem is it's still a relative long shot to make the postseason this year even with Shark and some more additions.

Beane is not going to move him for Semien. It's going to take someone like Anderson, or perhaps Alexei + Semien.

The odds that Beane can hold onto Shark and move him at the deadline for a package similar to Semien + are very high.

This leaves both teams with little impetus to make a trade today, unless the White Sox believe they can sign Shark to a reasonable extension, thereby extending his value into the more likely window of success in '16-18. If they feel as though he's going to want to test free agency or receive above-market value as consideration for bypassing free agency, then there is really little value to acquiring him right now in exchange for anything they perceive to be critical to their success moving forward.

As I have stated; if that's the price, then I am not in favor of the trade. However, we don't know the price.

I'm making a conceptual argument, which is that getting a given player, signed to a long term contract, is not necessarily desirable. It depends on the years,

and the annual salary, as well as the players worth. In this case, if Samardjiza had already been extended, and were to get 5 years and $100 million, would

that make him more, or less, desirable? The answer for me is; less desirable, because I would not want a 30 year old, #2, or #3 starter, signed to a 5 year contract,

at $20 million per year. I would give up less to get that contract, than I would to acquire him for one year, at the very reasonable rate of $8 or $9 Million,

because I view the former as undesirable, and the latter as desirable.

The risk of injury has to be a significant consideration. If it were my team and my money, I would be just as apprehensive about such contracts as Mr. Reinsdorf is.

Well, I'll conclude my argument with that, and await the outcome of this speculated deal. It will indeed be interesting to see if there is anything behind this

rumor.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
As I have stated; if that's the price, then I am not in favor of the trade. However, we don't know the price.

I'm making a conceptual argument, which is that getting a given player, signed to a long term contract, is not necessarily desirable. It depends on the years,

and the annual salary, as well as the players worth. In this case, if Samardjiza had already been extended, and were to get 5 years and $100 million, would

that make him more, or less, desirable? The answer for me is; less desirable, because I would not want a 30 year old, #2, or #3 starter, signed to a 5 year contract,

at $20 million per year. I would give up less to get that contract, than I would to acquire him for one year, at the very reasonable rate of $8 or $9 Million,

because I view the former as undesirable, and the latter as desirable. The risk of injury has to be a significant consideration. If it were my team and my money,

I would be just as apprehensive about such contracts as Mr. Reinsdorf.

I hate to say it but the 20 mil is about the correct going rate for a pitcher of his caiber. The sox to do a deal lije this or trade much more to get a younger as talented pitcher. Right now they hust don't have the rotation.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
If anything it sounds like oakland wants Upton and gattis. So if Samardzija goes to the sox and those two to oakland, what would the sox need to send to atlanta?

It would not be much I imagine because the A's would be getting the most in the deal. Definitely not Anderson.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 07:17 AM)

because I view the former as undesirable, and the latter as desirable. The risk of injury has to be a significant consideration. If it were my team and my money,

I would be just as apprehensive about such contracts as Mr. Reinsdorf.

Oh, I agree with your sentiments about the extension. I was trying to add clarity to the situation.

Check out @Buster_ESPN's Tweet:

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/539012379867348992

Shark has the freshest arm out of any high priced free agent pitcher. I definitely cannot blame Hahn to be pursuing him. Not only does Samardzija get outs, he gets them out FAST! Get it done Hahn! We can worry about extensions after the deal. And us fans can always egg him on at Soxfest. He will sign an extension here... believe me. The dude grew up a big Sox fan. He wants to be close to home. He dislikes the new Cubs management, according to sources. Get it Done!!!!

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
And they'll save on Shark for 1 year. Where does that get us? Heck, they have money now to spend, but seem to be nowhere on FAs.

They need a 3B, but they were nowhere on Pablo, despite the money to do so and he didn't exceed his projections. Melky? Not my cup of tea, but he can hit and he's there. Oh, I know - Upton for 1 year. Whoopee!

If they want to do a real trade, go get Hammels. Heck, he'll only cost us 2 top prospects, which is better than 1 for the great Shark. Trade Alexei - he's not that great a player and teams will overpay for him. (the Sox are so sentimental, they don't want to do that).

But no, they want shortcuts and stay on the cheap.

I also get the sense that some in the Sox have convinced themselves that Shark is an ace - sort of like how they convinced themselves that VAsquez and Edwin Jackson were aces.

If they want to shortcut it, spend real money. Sherzer and Lester are out there. They are much better than Shark.

JR and Williams (presumably under JR's order) want to field a contender year after year a)with no farm system and b) with a $110 million budget. Not happening.

I like it, nice reading. may not a agree with 100% of it, but pretty close. emptying the farm

is like KW way of dealing with missing pieces. as you suggested, i still don't know why fans

and on this example, the Sox brass has form an emotional attachment to Shark is beyond

me.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
The proposed deals aren't emptying out the farm system. It's trading one of the best milb players, which is usually what it tales.

you may be right, however none of us knows what the real players are in play

to get the deal done or discuss.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
I'm guessing he is just saying that because of the bogus ATL out report.

Remind me to put baseball analyst in my Twitter profile.

I can't imagine how much truth there is to the Braves rumors. The only one I would see the A's taking is Gattis with more control but I can't see the Braves taking a one year worth of Samardzija for him. Upton is owed 14.5 million for one year and really can't see the A's taking that much of a contract for 1 yr.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Check out @Buster_ESPN's Tweet:

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/539012379867348992

Shark has the freshest arm out of any high priced free agent pitcher. I definitely cannot blame Hahn to be pursuing him. Not only does Samardzija get outs, he gets them out FAST! Get it done Hahn! We can worry about extensions after the deal. And us fans can always egg him on at Soxfest. He will sign an extension here... believe me. The dude grew up a big Sox fan. He wants to be close to home. He dislikes the new Cubs management, according to sources. Get it Done!!!!

now you are talking about the dirty side of baseball >> the business side and money. how much

money will it take to get the extension done. if the sox traded for him and without that extension.

what leverage is there to sign a team friendly contract, a bunch a fans berating him.