Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
Peter Gammons @pgammo · 20h 20 hours ago

With the White Red, Red Sox, Rangers, others talking Samadzija, AL GM says "there is no way he will sign and not go to free agency."

What would an AL GM know about his plans for free agency unless it's Billy Beane? Technically he can't know.

EDIT: Though it would be classic Billy Beane to be that source.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 07:39 AM)
Never heard of this guy before but says he's a baseball analyst

Looks like the Market for SP Jeff Samardzija is down to Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox. #Redsox #MLB #WhiteSox https://twitter.com/MibeltRodriguez/status/...070453034516480

I see a comment under that about Sale from a Red Sox fan. What is their obsession with Sale and how did it start ? There haven't been any rumors involving Sale at all.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
I'm nervous that the white red may win the sweepstakes.

BREAKING: THE SOX HAVE ACQUIRED SAMARDJIZA…..COLOR UNDETERMINED…PINKISH?

P.s. Sorry for those who read the first few words and got excited.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
Count me OUT if we're pretty much trading Alexei for Cespedes. I want an outfielder as much as the next guy, but not for our short stop. And not a guy like Cespedes. And certainly not to help an AL team like Boston get better.

so much for trading with Minny, Det and Cle, uh.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
I see a comment under that about Sale from a Red Sox fan. What is their obsession with Sale and how did it start ? There haven't been any rumors involving Sale at all.

Probably when he became one of the best pitchers in baseball. Since Red Sox fans are generally smug and unrealistic about their team.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
Probably when he became one of the best pitchers in baseball. Since Red Sox fans are generally smug and unrealistic about their team.

in all honestly yeah you are right, its like the Yanks of the late 80's and 90's. their

fans can't imagine any players not wanting to play for them.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
so much for trading with Minny, Det and Cle, uh.

In certain situations, it can be okay, heh.

Like a couple years ago when we were in the race and traded for Liriano. Deals like those seem to happen only during the season when it becomes clear where your team stands. Minny knew they were out, so they traded us Liriano. Sox knew they were out, so they traded Peavy to Boston.

The offseason is so different, though. Minnesota, right now, has hopes of winning the division. Therefore it would be almost unfathomable to deal with the White Sox even if both teams improved from the deal.

What I'm getting at, though, is that Boston has had it FAR too easy this offseason up to this point. They signed two of the biggest bats available. Forget the White Sox, why would any AL team be interested in helping the Red Sox acquire a good starting pitcher for Cespedes, someone that they want to get rid of? Boston should have to pay out the nose to trade for a good starting pitcher.

QUOTE (South Sider @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
In certain situations, it can be okay, heh.

Like a couple years ago when we were in the race and traded for Liriano. Deals like those seem to happen only during the season when it becomes clear where your team stands. Minny knew they were out, so they traded us Liriano. Sox knew they were out, so they traded Peavy to Boston.

The offseason is so different, though. Minnesota, right now, has hopes of winning the division. Therefore it would be almost unfathomable to deal with the White Sox even if both teams improved from the deal.

What I'm getting at, though, is that Boston has had it FAR too easy this offseason up to this point. They signed two of the biggest bats available. Forget the White Sox, why would any AL team be interested in helping the Red Sox acquire a good starting pitcher for Cespedes, someone that they want to get rid of? Boston should have to pay out the nose to trade for a good starting pitcher.

Erik Johnson, Chris Beck. ummm do you that will get it done??

niccceeee use of college words. jk

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
I like how Roenthal was finally fixed, but Samardzija is still wrong.

BTW, when did Shark start with this guy? I can't call a grown man that I don't know Shark.

I know I call him Shark because it's better than trying to spell Samardzija or Tarkanian for that matter (going back a few years there).

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
What would an AL GM know about his plans for free agency unless it's Billy Beane? Technically he can't know.

EDIT: Though it would be classic Billy Beane to be that source.

Hmm...wouldn't Beane get a better return if he leaked he might be willing to sign an extension? otherwise I agree what does a GM know what Shark wants to do.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
You an me both. I can't see how this would help us in the least. Cespedes isn't much better than Tank IMO

I think/hope its just speculation since the Sox are in need of an outfielder too. If there's an outfielder in the package I'd rather it was Reddick.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 02:34 AM)
If Semien/Beck/Ravelo get the deal done, Samardjiza would have been on the roster yesterday.

I would have to assume Anderson is the sticking point here, and while I have no faith in any sort of White Sox hitting prospect, I still think it's a mistake to give him up for a one year rental player(at this point at least).

Agree with all of this.

I just can't see this one getting done, or if it does, I can't see feeling like it's a good move. Our prospects drop off hard after Anderson, and Anderson is too much for one year of Samardzija for a team in our position.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 08:43 AM)
You're being ridiculous if you think Semien for Shark is too much and once again I'm a big fan of Marcus.

The one thing people keep skipping over is the fact that Shark is basically going to make nothing this year(relative to top of the rotation starters) and still allows them to improve the team in other areas because they'd still have money to mess around with.

I understand that that is what it might take to get him. That's why it's a bad idea.

Context matters. If this was a team that had been to the playoffs 2 years in a row that would be one thing. If this was at the trade deadline and we were in first place that's another thing. If the team had no money to spend. It makes some sense then to sell the future for right now. This team is still building for the future. There is a difference between moves like trading your young closer for....a young every day centerfielder or trading a young starter/reliever for a potential starting 3B (Davidson, that one hasn't worked out so far), than trading your young middle infielder or your top prospect(s) for 1 year of a starting pitcher.

The team has money. There are free agent starting pitchers. Trading the future for one year of Samardzija doesn't make sense. I haven't seen Hahn make a trade yet that makes so much not-sense.