Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
Semien has so far shown to be a a below average infielder in majors and an average one in minors. Now maybe he can be a 4th outfielder but unless he makes a major improvment with his defense, his value is not great.

What on earth are you talking about?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
Every time somebody mentions Johnson I always think, "You can't steal first base*" I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him being able to get on base enough in the majors to be a full-time starter.

* - Unless you are AJ Pierzynski in Game 2 of the ALCS

Johnson has gotten on base a .008 less than semien in the minors. Johnson has a .366 OBP and semien has a .374. Johnson hits a higher average at .297 vs semien at .272. I think johnson would have been first in line at second if it wasn't for the injury. I also believe he would have hit better in Charlotte if it wasn't for the nagging injury. Time will tell tho in spring training if he's ready or needs a bit more work in Charlotte.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)
Who is your starting second baseman as of now?

One of Semien/Johnson. I do not think 2b is a strength right now, and I'm certainly not excited about extending that to SS as well.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Johnson has gotten on base a .008 less than semien in the minors. Johnson has a .366 OBP and semien has a .374. Johnson hits a higher average at .297 vs semien at .272. I think johnson would have been first in line at second if it wasn't for the injury. I also believe he would have hit better in Charlotte if it wasn't for the nagging injury. Time will tell tho in spring training if he's ready or needs a bit more work in Charlotte.

Johnson also hits for less power than Semien. By a lot. Right handed power is at a premium in the majors, especially if you can get it from a guy that plays 2B, 3B, or SS.

Meanwhile, I'm sure the Sox could acquire Jemile Weeks from Baltimore for next to nothing. He's what he's done in the minors - .285/.380/.406/.786. And he's what Micah Johnson has done in the minors - .297/.366/.422/.787. Remarkably similar.

If the Sox could substitute Micah in any move instead of Semien, then they absolutely should.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
Johnson also hits for less power than Semien. By a lot. Right handed power is at a premium in the majors, especially if you can get it from a guy that plays 2B, 3B, or SS.

Meanwhile, I'm sure the Sox could acquire Jemile Weeks from Baltimore for next to nothing. He's what he's done in the minors - .285/.380/.406/.786. And he's what Micah Johnson has done in the minors - .297/.366/.422/.787. Remarkably similar.

If the Sox could substitute Micah in any move instead of Semien, then they absolutely should.

Yes the difference between the two is power for semien vs speed for johnson. Sox have enough power especially if they upgrade LF with someone like cabrera. Power in terms of home runs is sporadic vs speed. Look at the royals. They didn't have enough power for home runs but they did it with speed on the base paths. Sox have power but can use extra speed with Eaton. With as much talk with the sox liking johnson I'm sure they aren't going to start adding his name to trades in stead of Semien.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
I'm sure someone has some stat to show otherwise, but I didn't think he looked very good in the field for the Sox last year.

I thought his glove looked fine. He was not very good throwing the ball. To me, at least, that seems like something that's easier to fix than fielding.

I'm a bit late on the Samardjiza news but here are my thoughts.

If the Sox can get him without paying a Kings ransom then do it but I would go into it knowing that it's basically a 1 year rental. If the Sox are doing well this season then you keep Shark for the whole season but if not then you move him by the deadline and get a nice haul back.

As for a long term deal, I don't see it happening. JR won't want to give out the years and cash that Shark is looking for and don't be mistaken, he wants to get paid big bucks. If I remember correctly Samardjiza turned down 5/$85 mil, he'll want 6 years, $100 mil plus.

Also regardless of where Samardjiza goes, I don't see it happening until after Lester and Scherzer have signed (probably late next week) unless someone blows BB away with an offer.

Trading Alexei Ramirez for Smard isn't a good move by the Sox. You may gain a very good starting pitcher for one year but weaken yourself at a critical position. Now if we can sign him to a longer term deal before actually completing the deal then maybe, bit I would rather gibe Benebag a couple/three minor league prospects and not Alexei

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
His fielding pct at 3B was almost .900. He sucked, but he's young. Maybe he gets better. Frankly, he probably has to.

He only had 40 games of experience there prior to reaching the big leagues, and in roughly the same amount of time at 3B in the minors, his fielding percentage was .984.

From what I saw of Semien in the field, I'm not too worried about him.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
In September Scott Merkin wrote a piece about how Micah Johnson would've been called up and is going to be the 2B in 2015.

In early November the A's FO said they want Samardzija to be their ace in 2015.

Look at Samardzija now. He's looked at as a guy who will surely be traded. Take Merkin's words on Johnson with a grain of salt. He's done nothing to earn being the starting 2B past tearing up AA.

Very true. I think Micah will be on some top 100 lists though. I believe that Keith Law mentioned that he'd be a top 100 guy. So while he hasn't earned the 2B job by any means, he is probably one of the 125 best prospects in baseball.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
I'm a bit late on the Samardjiza news but here are my thoughts.

If the Sox can get him without paying a Kings ransom then do it but I would go into it knowing that it's basically a 1 year rental. If the Sox are doing well this season then you keep Shark for the whole season but if not then you move him by the deadline and get a nice haul back.

As for a long term deal, I don't see it happening. JR won't want to give out the years and cash that Shark is looking for and don't be mistaken, he wants to get paid big bucks. If I remember correctly Samardjiza turned down 5/$85 mil, he'll want 6 years, $100 mil plus.

Also regardless of where Samardjiza goes, I don't see it happening until after Lester and Scherzer have signed (probably late next week) unless someone blows BB away with an offer.

Interesting..I never heard Samardjiza turned down 5/85 from the Cubs...Can anyone confirm this?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
What on earth are you talking about?

He made 14 errors in under 60 games in the ML. His minor league FP is .954 over 4 seasons. Conor Gillaspie is 950 at the ML level over 5 years. Semien is comparable to Conor Gillaspie defensively.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Interesting..I never heard Samardjiza turned down 5/85 from the Cubs...Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Samar...-263827711.html

I'd forgotten that he did that, but yeah, there was definitely an offer made to him. He was wise to decline it as he should make a lot more money as a result.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:01 PM)
He made 14 errors in under 60 games in the ML. His minor league FP is .954 over 4 seasons. Conor Gillaspie is 950 at the ML level over 5 years. Semien is comparable to Conor Gillaspie defensively.

Derek Jeter had a .976 career fielding percentage. Ozzie Smith had a .978 career fielding percentage. Derek Jeter is comparable to Ozzie Smith.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Samar...-263827711.html

I'd forgotten that he did that, but yeah, there was definitely an offer made to him. He was wise to decline it as he should make a lot more money as a result.

Thanks, an it was 5/75 an not 85 he turned down. Yes he was wise declining it. I'm still not sure the Sox would go 6/105 as he wants though. Sure would like to have him though.

Sox need both Johnson and Anderson. They have no 2B right now; Anderson isn't ready and when he is, we'll have no Shortstop.

But by all means, let's trade them all for one whole year of the greatest, most elite 2/3 starter there is, the Shark.

If the priority is another 2/3 starter (which it shouldn't be IMO), there are other ways to accomplish it:

Sign Lester or Scherzer

Trade for Hammels (much better value than Shark).

Yet, we don't hear the Sox in on one of those guys. How could that be if JR really is willing to spend?

Edited by GreenSox

I am pretty sure that the Sox spend a great deal of time self scouting. So if they decide that they would trade both Anderson and Johnson or either one for Samardzija its because they are pretty confident they arent trading away a blue chip piece. I am not interested into holding onto a prospect just because they have decent minor league numbers and a couple of tools. The only guys that you have to hold onto in cases like this are the freaking studs that appear to be cant miss.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
That is the most comforting article I've read in a long time.

Yep. I think it means that they'd consider something like Ravelo + Sanchez or even be on board with trading Ramirez to acquire Samardzija. What it also means is that the top 5-6 prospects or so aren't being dealt for a rental, which is what I thought anyways.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
That is operating under the assumption that the White Sox don't extend him and make him part of the 3 headed long term plan for the rotations.

No. Long term plans can only include young minor league players. Locking up a rotation like that would not benefit the Sox for the next 4 years.