Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 05:50 PM)

I don't know how we all know Alexei won't be better. 2 years ago he dropped to a 1.9 WAR and it was said he is on the downslope and only going to get worse. The next year he puts up a 3.1 WAR, and last season a 3.3 , when again, he is supposedly just going to get worse. Steamer projects a 2.3 next season, which supposedly is good for $10 million. If they do trade him, if it is for a Davidson like prospect that doesn't pan out, it will be a godawful trade, even if people post the "you make that trade 10 times out of 10". BS.

Trade him a year early rather than a year late.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 02:47 AM)
They worked him there a tiny bit in the minors last year and I wouldn't be surprised to see him there a few times this year if they bring in a LH hitting OF, but we absolutely can't pencil him in as a starter there on a plausibly competitive team.

Which of course, brings up the fact that this is decision week regarding what we're going to do with the corner OF on our roster.

I forgot, isn't this week a decision is made with regards to final players and the waiver

draft or something like that??

if it is, there should be some more players added.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 05:50 PM)

I don't know how we all know Alexei won't be better. 2 years ago he dropped to a 1.9 WAR and it was said he is on the downslope and only going to get worse. The next year he puts up a 3.1 WAR, and last season a 3.3 , when again, he is supposedly just going to get worse. Steamer projects a 2.3 next season, which supposedly is good for $10 million. If they do trade him, if it is for a Davidson like prospect that doesn't pan out, it will be a godawful trade, even if people post the "you make that trade 10 times out of 10". BS.

The 1.9 you speak of was when his father in law was killed so he had personal issues to deal with while being 31 years old at the time. The seasons he's had since then are the sole reason why he's our best bet to get higher level talent. Father time will win the battle as he does every time. If you have to bring up Davidson as a reason why he shouldn't be traded when do you trade for young talent? It's guaranteed Alexei will eventually get worse with every passing year. Like Shack said better a year too early than a year too late.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 08:57 PM)
I forgot, isn't this week a decision is made with regards to final players and the waiver

draft or something like that??

if it is, there should be some more players added.

We have to offer Viciedo arbitration or non-tender him this week.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
The 1.9 you speak of was when his father in law was killed so he had personal issues to deal with while being 31 years old at the time. The seasons he's had since then are the sole reason why he's our best bet to get higher level talent. Father time will win the battle as he does every time. If you have to bring up Davidson as a reason why he shouldn't be traded when do you trade for young talent? It's guaranteed Alexei will eventually get worse with every passing year. Like Shack said better a year too early than a year too late.

I bring up Davidson because people look at the ranking and say no matter what, good trade. That is wrong. If Alexei is this top trade chip you mentioned, if he is traded, they need to get it right in reality.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 09:38 PM)
And once he's tendered a contract, IMO he's your starting corner OF next year, because I don't know why anyone would trade anything for him.

Not really, at best he is a platoon next year, though I don't like the proposition of carrying 5 OF for late inning defense as well

If DV gets picked up, it will depends on what he is projected to earn in arb.

the other thing, you can't have him starting against LHP. he is horrible. now

it may help if Emilio Bonifacio is sign, esp if he is not wanting alot. his stats

against LHP is decent and he will provide other options. there is also Semien.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:48 AM)
What makes you believe this? If Viciedo's value is so low that he can't be traded it wouldn't make sense that a team trying to contend would start him.

no matter what, he has the power to hit mlb pitching to a tune of 21 hrs last

yr. he may not provide much of anything else. it all depends on what he is

projected to earn in the arb.

We know the amount will be roughly $4-4.5 million.

We know he'd probably be the RH side of a DH platoon with LaRoche and insurance for any injuries at the corners like both Dayan and DeAza were last season when A. Garcia went down.

We know the plan certainly isn't to make him the starting LF in a contending season unless a lot of other plans and options fall through.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
We know the amount will be roughly $4-4.5 million.

We know he'd probably be the RH side of a DH platoon with LaRoche and insurance for any injuries at the corners like both Dayan and DeAza were last season when A. Garcia went down.

We know the plan certainly isn't to make him the starting LF in a contending season unless a lot of other plans and options fall through.

there is a lot of if that may not be answered. no matter, I really Emilio Bonifacio as

the other platoon person. he hit lhp like crazy. last yr was a off yr, so he is a good

gamble for a rebound, if not, a perfect partner for DV.

on a side not, I can't remember why getting Delmon Young is a bad idea. any

help will be appreciated.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 06:31 AM)
there is a lot of if that may not be answered. no matter, I really Emilio Bonifacio as

the other platoon person. he hit lhp like crazy. last yr was a off yr, so he is a good

gamble for a rebound, if not, a perfect partner for DV.

on a side not, I can't remember why getting Delmon Young is a bad idea. any

help will be appreciated.

well, first of all Delmon Young is an ungodly terrible fielder and we are already carrying 1 DH on this roster, so there's literally zero roles for him.

Secondly, I'd expect the White Sox to have less of a problem signing a steroid abuser than they would a guy with this on his record.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
What makes you believe this? If Viciedo's value is so low that he can't be traded it wouldn't make sense that a team trying to contend would start him.

Exactly. He's such a terrible option as a backup that the only way it makes sense to have him on a roster is as a starting OF/DH on a fully rebuilding team. No team would willingly want to give up a player and pay him $4 million unless that player is also a salary dump. I'm sure the Red Sox would take him for Victorino for example, but that's a salary dump.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
well, first of all Delmon Young is an ungodly terrible fielder and we are already carrying 1 DH on this roster, so there's literally zero roles for him.

Secondly, I'd expect the White Sox to have less of a problem signing a steroid abuser than they would a guy with this on his record.

I'd rather get and move Beckham to the OF, have D2 start or call up Jared Mitchell before I go near the scum that is Delmon Young.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
I'd rather get and move Beckham to the OF, have D2 start or call up Jared Mitchell before I go near the scum that is Delmon Young.

Someone will sign him to be a most of the time DH and there's a decent chance he won't be terrible in the role. It won't be the White Sox.

I think it's too early to call Tank at platoon bat (though I think he ends up being one long term). He's going to be 26 when the season starts and just came off a 20 homer season. In a game with rare right-handed power, a team may be willing take a flyer on him (and I would have guessed a deal with Oakland before they signed Butler). Maybe a deal with Cincinnati since they lack a left fielder? Failed starter who may be able to stick in a bullpen for tank?

Edited by soxfan2014

I think it's too early to call Tank at platoon bat (though I think he ends up being one long term). He's going to be 26 when the season starts and just came off a 20 homer season. In a game with rare right-handed power, a team may be willing take a flyer on him (and I would have guessed a deal with Oakland before they signed Butler). Maybe a deal with Cincinnati since they lack a left fielder? Failed starter who may be able to stick in a bullpen for tank?

20 home runs is very hollow when the rest of your offense is so bad that you're still a below average LF and that's before even considering defense. Even worse is that the platoon splits he had earlier in his career are now gone. There was only a 10 point OPS difference between lefty and righty pitchers in 2014.

I know it won't happen, but the Sox really ought to non-tender him if they haven't found a taker for him yet.

Dan Hayes said that since the sox got Laroche to dh and split some time at first and the sox are wanting to upgrade left field with a likely LH bat that viciedo is odd man out. Said likely to deal him for a young bullpen arm. Viciedo did hit 21 home runs which is tied 25 in al and 46 in mlb. Still young enough someone would probably take him. Dunn only hit 22 home runs and we got a young pitcher back for him.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Dan Hayes said that since the sox got Laroche to dh and split some time at first and the sox are wanting to upgrade left field with a likely LH bat that viciedo is odd man out. Said likely to deal him for a young bullpen arm. Viciedo did hit 21 home runs which is tied 25 in al and 46 in mlb. Still young enough someone would probably take him. Dunn only hit 22 home runs and we got a young pitcher back for him.

I continue to say that as a GM I would not give up a "young bullpen arm" for Dayan Viciedo. I'd rather have the young bullpen arm.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
20 home runs is very hollow when the rest of your offense is so bad that you're still a below average LF and that's before even considering defense. Even worse is that the platoon splits he had earlier in his career are now gone. There was only a 10 point OPS difference between lefty and righty pitchers in 2014.

I know it won't happen, but the Sox really ought to non-tender him if they haven't found a taker for him yet.

yes i understand you are in favor on non tendering him, but

those 10 points in the result of 250 at bats difference.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)

to gamble on him or not, will he improve or not. these are all

good questions that will not be answered by us, the fans. if we

can predict the future but we can't. this is going to be the brass

of the sox org. either way, damn if they do, damn if they don't.

there is no right answer.

something to think about. if there were clubs wanting his services,

then why not a trade by now?