Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

Was just reading that it's looking like the A's will be looking for 2 or 3 "top prospects" for Samardzija.

Not sure the Sox are willing to do that. Tear down the farm system for a rental... Thoughts?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/al-c...samardzija.html

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Was just reading that it's looking like the A's will be looking for 2 or 3 "top prospects" for Samardzija.

Not sure the Sox are willing to do that. Tear down the farm system for a rental... Thoughts?

Depends on how broad their definition of "top prospect" is...Are we talking top 5? 10? 20?

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
YES I KNOW its ROSENTHAL. That's what i get for hitting POST TOPIC "BEFORE" reading everything through. Don't I get at least ONE "D-UH???"""

You do get one, but the title had two :P (Rosenthal and Samardzija were spelled Roenthal and Samardjiza)

I was only responding to the previous page, flavum pointed it out lol

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
i was reading this article from the trib, about Shark.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...1129-story.html

I'm glad that Paul Sullivan took the trouble to point out that the Sox are unlikely to deal Carlos Rodon for Jeff Samardzija. I just wish that he would understand that the Sox can't trade Carlos Rodon until one year after he was drafted — June 2015. I think that Billy Beane wants to trade Samardzija before the season starts. The Shark's price will go down if the team he is traded to won't get a draft choice for compensation when he leaves via free agency next winter!

I have to think that Samardzija will opt for free agency regardless of what team he is pitching for next year. It will be his only chance at the "brass ring."

Comparing Alexei Ramirez to Yoenis Cespedes (data from Baseball-reference.com)

Alexei Ramirez (age on opening day 2015: 33):

2014 .273/.305/.403 OPS+: 101

Career .277/.303/.408 OPS+: 92

Yoenis Cespedes (age on opening day 2015: 29):

2014 .260/.301/.450 OPS+:110

Career .263/.316/.464 OPS+:116

But for the fact that Alexei is 4 years older, and he plays a more demanding defensive position, Alexei and Cespedes are the same player! I don't see Cespedes coming to the White Sox. That's just reshuffling the deck chairs . . . .

Cespedes for anyone other than Rodon and Anderson is a no brainer imo. Shark is different because of his contract but if you can get him to agree to an extension as part of the trade then ditto. The team is nicely setup to win but they need at least 2 more good pieces. Shark and/or Cespedes would go a long way towards getting back to 88 win territory.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Cespedes for anyone other than Rodon and Anderson is a no brainer imo. Shark is different because of his contract but if you can get him to agree to an extension as part of the trade then ditto. The team is nicely setup to win but they need at least 2 more good pieces. Shark and/or Cespedes would go a long way towards getting back to 88 win territory.

Why is trading for 1 guy who is about to be a free agent a "no brainer" but trading for another guy who is about to be a free agent only makes sense if you can get an extension agreed to?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
Why is trading for 1 guy who is about to be a free agent a "no brainer" but trading for another guy who is about to be a free agent only makes sense if you can get an extension agreed to?

Because it doesnt make any sense

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 10h10 hours ago

Pitches thrown in reg. season:Samardzija 12,567; Lester 26,321; Scherzer 20,944; Cueto 19,518; Hamels 27,886; Price 19,336; Shields 29,461.

Jeff Samardzija pitches thrown in post season: 19 (1 run on 2 hits and an error in mop-up duty in game one of the 2008 NLDS loss to the Dodgers). This stuff can break your heart.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)

Beane didn't seem all that picky on giving up 4 years of Donaldson. Now he wants the moon for 1 yr. of Samargarini ?

While the speculation seems to have temporarily abated, could we step back for a moment and examine the bigger picture?

Most would agree that there are still 3 holes remaining to be filled. A corner outfielder, a RH Starting pitcher and a bullpen arm, preferably a closer.

There is still considerable money available, with estimates of around $25 Million of payroll flexibility for this coming season.

There is also the possibility of a trade, as evidenced by the recent rumors.

My question is which trade chip would you most willingly offer, to help fill at least one of the remaining holes?

Some object to parting with any of our better prospects, while others are reluctant to move a veteran, such as Alexei, claiming that it would only open

another hole, this one at SS.

My inclination is to try to fill one of the holes by trading Alexei. I've expressed my reasons, previously, but here is a summary:

He is not likely to provide elite defense during the remaining two years of his contract, due to diminished range.

The Sox have several middle infielders, at least a couple of whom could probably fill the void, until Anderson is ready.

Alexei is nevertheless, a valuable trade "chip", as several teams are looking for an established SS.

Again, assuming that the return would be reasonable, and would fill at least one hole, would you be willing to move Ramirez, and who would you prefer be

given the inside track at playing SS this season? Do you favor the best defensive SS, or are you insistent upon a player who could also provide some offensive

production? Who, in fact, do you consider is the best defensive shortstop, in the organization, among the guys who have played at least at the AAA level?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
Who, in fact, do you consider is the best defensive shortstop, in the organization, among the guys who have played at least at the AAA level?

This is almost certainly Tyler Saladino based on the way the org has treated everyone. He might well have seen a visit to the big leagues last year if he hadn't had a major injury and Tommy John Surgery IIRC.

Even with that, he seems like an extremely fringey big leaguer. He's probably a quality defender there but he's not elite. Stranger things have happened of course, he could come up and catch fire, but really no one would ever consider this team a legit contender with Saladino as the starting SS coming into next year. He may also not be ready to play to start the season at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 06:26 PM)
This is almost certainly Tyler Saladino based on the way the org has treated everyone. He might well have seen a visit to the big leagues last year if he hadn't had a major injury and Tommy John Surgery IIRC.

Even with that, he seems like an extremely fringey big leaguer. He's probably a quality defender there but he's not elite. Stranger things have happened of course, he could come up and catch fire, but really no one would ever consider this team a legit contender with Saladino as the starting SS coming into next year. He may also not be ready to play to start the season at all.

Do you rate Saladino as a better defensive SS than L. Garcia's and Diaz? Again, irrespective of offensive ability. I'm asking only about defensive prowess.

Do you think that Sanchez, who is purportedly much better suited for 2ND, is defensively behind all three of the players just mentioned? I'm surprised, as I

thought that Saladino was just barely adequate defensively, but had a decent bat.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
While the speculation seems to have temporarily abated, could we step back for a moment and examine the bigger picture?

Most would agree that there are still 3 holes remaining to be filled. A corner outfielder, a RH Starting pitcher and a bullpen arm, preferably a closer.

There is still considerable money available, with estimates of around $25 Million of payroll flexibility for this coming season.

There is also the possibility of a trade, as evidenced by the recent rumors.

My question is which trade chip would you most willingly offer, to help fill at least one of the remaining holes?

Some object to parting with any of our better prospects, while others are reluctant to move a veteran, such as Alexei, claiming that it would only open

another hole, this one at SS.

My inclination is to try to fill one of the holes by trading Alexei. I've expressed my reasons, previously, but here is a summary:

He is not likely to provide elite defense during the remaining two years of his contract, due to diminished range.

The Sox have several middle infielders, at least a couple of whom could probably fill the void, until Anderson is ready.

Alexei is nevertheless, a valuable trade "chip", as several teams are looking for an established SS.

Again, assuming that the return would be reasonable, and would fill at least one hole, would you be willing to move Ramirez, and who would you prefer be

given the inside track at playing SS this season? Do you favor the best defensive SS, or are you insistent upon a player who could also provide some offensive

production? Who, in fact, do you consider is the best defensive shortstop, in the organization, among the guys who have played at least at the AAA level?

Here's my thoughts for whatever they're worth

Alexei just won the silver sluggers award and was a finalist for the gold glove. I think he's one of the best SS in baseball right now and I do not see him declining as bad as most people seem to think he will. He's cheap at 10 mil for the next 2 yrs. Our defense was terrible the last 2 yrs. and to replace him with a lesser SS would only make it worse. He still steals bases pretty often an his bat is pretty darn good for a SS. Trading him to fill another hole just seems foolish right now, if indeed we're trying to win the div. I do not believe we have a good enough ss ready to fill in right now. I think the best we have ready is L. Garcia. The fact that so many other teams are looking for an established ss tells me maybe we should hang on to ours. Give em LGar or whoever else we have other than Anderson. ss's are worth more to me than outfielders or bullpen arms.(2 of our remaining holes). I guess I value Lexi more than most.

In the event of an Alexei trade, the Sox end up with Sanchez at SS and Semien at second while Leury Mays Hayes goes to Charlotte to work on the hitting skills . IMO, the Sox are shopping Semien with plans of Johnson taking over at second, Sanchez at SS and Diaz or possibly Saladino as the IF back up which gives the Sox a choice between LH and RH bats.

That's assuming Alexei is traded, who the hell knows if that happens or not.

I'm not against trading Alexei but that really is a double edged sword right there. If were talking about a team finishing off a rebuild and looking for a few more good prospects then trading Alexei is a great idea but if a team is planning on contending then they really should keep Alexei.