Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Josh Fields, Jery Owens, Brent Morel, thise guys all lit it up in September. As Ozzie said, if you aren't in the race, don't believe what you see in September. The jury is out on Semien. If he is the main piece in a Samardzjia trade, there are going to be a few more pieces. He does seem like the type of guy Oakland would like.

So what's a reasonable trade for Samardzija, operation on the assumption that he won't sign an extension? Semien and what other 2 prospects?

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
Thanks for the info guys. Been tough the past few years trying to keep up with the Sox since I wasn't able to catch many games with my work schedule.

Should be much easier from now on, though.

Being a Sox fan in SoCal just means DirecTV is a must . If getting the MLB package on DirecTV is too expensive you can always add a less expensive sports package that includes CSN Chicago for the Chicago sports news every night. There's also plenty of places online like the Sox website, CSN Chicago's website and numerous Sox blogs that offer better coverage than say ESPN Chicago or Yahoo or CBS Chicago sports versions.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
It all depends on what the Sox have to give up. If its a player like Anderson then absolutely not. Anderson is already better than some teams 2016 first round pick. Its possible Anderson is helping the Sox around the time his future trade pick is being drafter. I'll take Anderson over one year of Samardjiza.

I see what you're saying Lillian. Its just a matter of who Oakland wants. I would not give up much for a one year rental.

Yes, that is precisely the point. We shouldn't have to "give up much for a one year rental," at least not as much as we would if he were locked up, on a multi year

contract. And yet, that is arguably a preferable circumstance. Seems to me that this is exactly the kind of market inefficiency that Billy Beane always seeks.

Here's a chance to beat him at his own game. He doesn't want to allow the Sox to negotiate an extension, prior to the deal. Fine, we'll agree, but that means

we give him a lesser package for "Shark". The Sox make what appears to be a concession, when in reality, it is advantageous to the Sox, because they

don't have to accept a long term contract. But, ssshhh. Don't tell Mr. Beane. Honestly, I suspect that he's already figured all of this out, and without our help.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 06:35 PM)
So what's a reasonable trade for Samardzija, operation on the assumption that he won't sign an extension? Semien and what other 2 prospects?

I don't like him, so to be honest, my opinion on what is reasonable is probably not reasonable. Bit Semien and a couple of A ball guys in the 15-25 range seems fair to me.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 12:35 AM)

the surprise team which the sox fans haven't heard from is Cincy. they have 3 sp whose

contract is up what next yr. Cincy is maybe hoping to flip one of that contract and with

the savings use to sign of the other 2 sp.

who knows, that is what i read yesterday. things are changing fast.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:36 PM)
Being a Sox fan in SoCal just means DirecTV is a must . If getting the MLB package on DirecTV is too expensive you can always add a less expensive sports package that includes CSN Chicago for the Chicago sports news every night. There's also plenty of places online like the Sox website, CSN Chicago's website and numerous Sox blogs that offer better coverage than say ESPN Chicago or Yahoo or CBS Chicago sports versions.

I was working some crap jobs over the past few years (in my teens and early 20's) but now that I have a steady job, it makes it much easier to pay for the Extra Innings package, plus I can catch many more of the games.

I'm honestly amazed at how many Sox fans on this board are in California. Pretty cool to see (also explains the attendance issue at the cell ;) )

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 07:39 PM)
I don't like him, so to be honest, my opinion on what is reasonable is probably not reasonable. Bit Semien and a couple of A ball guys in the 15-25 range seems fair to me.

I don't know why we'd be so insistent on giving up Semien for a guy who we ought to trade at the deadline, but I've made my point now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 12:39 AM)

no offense, but it is too much.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
the surprise team which the sox fans haven't heard from is Cincy. they have 3 sp whose

contract is up what next yr. Cincy is maybe hoping to flip one of that contract and with

the savings use to sign of the other 2 sp.

who knows, that is what i read yesterday. things are changing fast.

I think "Bucket Of Suck" mentioned Cinci being a team that Hahn has had constant contact with.

Bailey and Latos? Who's available?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
The problem with this is that the sox will have a weak rotation and won't win unless they acquire someone. Any good pitcher will get that deal. So do you get js who is cheaper than scherzer or lester or get the other lesser talented pitchers.

The sox need to upgrade the rotation if they hope to win.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are asserting here. If after this season, we do not have to pay Samardjiza the kind of long term contract that has

been speculated here to be around $18 to $20 million per year, why is it such a daunting task to find another pitcher, if the Sox should need one?

Perhaps they won't need one, but if they do, there should be a capable arm, obtainable for that kind of money.

Sure, if he signed for 3 or 4 years, at the same $10 million that he is likely to be awarded in arbitration, that would be great. But, that's not a realistic expectation.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 12:45 AM)
I think "Bucket Of Suck" mentioned Cinci being a team that Hahn has had constant contact with.

Bailey and Latos? Who's available?

Leake. plus the Cuban closer, Chapman i think.

they need some form of salary relief. i was reading where they were saying that

a trade for 1 of there pitchers plus minor league prospect for SS and 2 or 3 tier

sp prospect, will do.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
I was working some crap jobs over the past few years (in my teens and early 20's) but now that I have a steady job, it makes it much easier to pay for the Extra Innings package, plus I can catch many more of the games.

I'm honestly amazed at how many Sox fans on this board are in California. Pretty cool to see (also explains the attendance issue at the cell ;) )

All you have to do is go to a Sox game in Anaheim to see a ton of Sox fans out here.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 06:45 PM)
no offense, but it is too much.

I don't think Semien is ranked any higher of a prospect than Matt Davidson was last year, and I would have to think Samardzjia is worth more than Addison Reed on the trade market. Subtract for only one year of control. I would much prefer the Sox send Semien than Anderson, unless they have determined Anderson is not going to be a SS.

Frankly, I would rather they hold off a year on him. Keep Semien and Anderson.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
All you have to do is go to a Sox game in Anaheim to see a ton of Sox fans out here.

I usually try and go every year & I take my wife. The trip this next year will be a bit tougher with it being during the week.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are asserting here. If after this season, we do not have to pay Samardjiza the kind of long term contract that has

been speculated here to be around $18 to $20 million per year, why is it such a daunting task to find another pitcher, if the Sox should need one?

Perhaps they won't need one, but if they do, there should be a capable arm, obtainable for that kind of money.

Sure, if he signed for 3 or 4 years, at the same $10 million that he is likely to be awarded in arbitration, that would be great. But, that's not a realistic expectation.

My point is the sox need a pitcher to upgrade their rotation. So they have to pay one of them. Scherzef and lester will get more than js. I would rather pay him than any of the others available. So its worth it to trade for js and his extension.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
Leake. plus the Cuban closer, Chapman i think.

they need some form of salary relief. i was reading where they were saying that

a trade for 1 of there pitchers plus minor league prospect for SS and 2 or 3 tier

sp prospect, will do.

Mike Leake, Mat Latos, Johnny Cueto and Alfredo Simon . Chapman in 2 years. Yes 4 Reds starters entering FA next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 30, 2014 -> 12:53 AM)
I don't think Semien is ranked any higher of a prospect than Matt Davidson was last year, and I would have to think Samardzjia is worth more than Addison Reed on the trade market. Subtract for only one year of control. I would much prefer the Sox send Semien than Anderson, unless they have determined Anderson is not going to be a SS.

don't get me wrong, i appreciate that you made a suggestion.

here is my thought, right now, and i hope i am wrong, but i am seeing posters

who are fixated on this trade.

all last wk the sox brass was playing hard ball with several teams. what has change?

getting a sp who may not sign a extension. Beane who may not allow that window

to be open, b/c as someone posted, Beane doesn't want the sox to be in a position

to make this trade in their favor. lastly Beane wants better prospect in rtn.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)

That there is the main question along with would it be more than Shark ? If it happens you can be sure that this place willl be split on the trade because people don't like giving up prospects , period, and for a rental ? Oh this place would be screaming bloody murder.

But even if this deal doesn't go down , you can probably be sure that a pitcher of Sharks caliber is being targeted and is a priority.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)

Frankly, I would rather they hold off a year on him. Keep Semien and Anderson.

I still hold out some hope for Davidson, and Semien >>>>> davidson right now.

I will agree on one point, in value Anderson >>>>>> Semien.