Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

Putting aside, for a moment, the cost in players to acquire Jeff S., if he would ultimately get close to $20 Million per year, on a multi year free agent contract,

why isn't it far more attractive to simply acquire him for one year, at approximately half of that? He's already 30, and at the end of the year, he becomes

even less attractive, as a long term commitment.

I'd prefer to have him for one year, at a far more affordable annual salary, without the risk of being stuck with a bad contract. At the end of the season, the Sox

could make a qualifying offer, again for one more year, and receive a draft pick. They could then go back into the market, and see who else could be had.

Why isn't that preferable to signing any 30 + year old pitcher to a big, long term contract? In other words, which would you rather have; a 30 year old starting

pitcher at $10 million for one year, or that same pitcher, one year older, for 4 more years, at $20 million per year?

Comparing the deal Beane made to acquire Samardjiza is not relevant, as he was acquired for a season and a half, during Oakland's playoff run. Now, he would be

dealt with one year remaining, and Oakland may be back to a rebuild mode. The circumstances are not the same.

I originally assumed that it might require dealing Alexei, to which most reacted negatively, asserting that such a move would fill one hole, while opening another.

So, now we are talking about a deal that would net them this year's #2 or #3 starter, a right hander yet, and not create a hole at SS. If the Sox take on "Shark's"

approximately $10 million arbitration salary, they would still have about $15 million to spend on an outfielder, and a closer.

To reiterate, they could then stay within a projected $100 million payroll, with no long term commitments, and field a very competitive team.

In the meantime, it gives some of the youth in the system more time to develop, and the front office would have a better idea of the team's needs for 2016.

Then, there is still the outside chance that they could move Danks, who would be completely expendable with the Samardjiza's acquisition.

Therefore, while the fact that he would be a mere one year rental would reduce the asking price, it could actually be more attractive, IMO.

The question is; what would Beane take in exchange for one year of the "Shark"?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
Putting aside, for a moment, the cost in players to acquire Jeff S., if he would ultimately get close to $20 Million per year, on a multi year free agent contract,

why isn't it far more attractive to simply acquire him for one year, at approximately half of that? He's already 30, and at the end of the year, he becomes

I'd prefer to have him for one year, at a far more affordable annual salary, without the risk of being stuck with a bad contract. At the end of the season, the Sox

could make a qualifying offer, again for one more year, and receive a draft pick. They could then go back into the market, and see who else could be had.

Why isn't that preferable to signing any 30 + year old pitcher to a big, long term contract?

Comparing the deal Beane made to acquire Samardjiza is not relevant, as he was acquired for a season and a half, during Oakland's playoff run. Now, he would be

dealt with one year remaining, and Oakland may be back to a rebuild mode. The circumstances are not the same.

I originally assumed that it might require dealing Alexei, to which most reacted negatively, asserting that such a move would fill one hole, while opening another.

So, now we are talking about a deal that would net them this year's #2 or #3 starter, a right hander yet, and not create a hole at SS. If the Sox take on "Sharks"

approximately $10 million arbitration salary, they would still have about $15 million to spend on an outfielder, and a closer.

To reiterate, they could then stay within a projected $100 million payroll, with no long term commitments, and field a very competitive team.

In the meantime, it gives some of the youth in the system more time to develop, and the front office would have a better idea of the team's needs for 2016.

Then, there is still the outside chance that they could move Danks, who would be completely expendable with the Samardjiza's acquisition.

Therefore, while the fact that he would be a mere one year rental would reduce the asking price, it could actually be more attractive, IMO.

If Anderson is the guy in the deal, if there is a deal, and he becomes a good SS and Samardjia is around for one season and the Sox don't at least make the playoffs, it is a horrible trade. There are a lot of ifs. But if the Sox are willing to trade Anderson, there may be something more attractive than on year of SamArdzjia available. Doesn't hurt to float his name around and see what someone else may be willing to give you.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)

Why isn't that preferable to signing any 30 + year old pitcher to a big, long term contract? In other words, which would you rather have; a 30 year old starting

pitcher at $10 million for one year, or that same pitcher, one year older, for 4 more years, at $20 million per year?

So, now we are talking about a deal that would net them this year's #2 or #3 starter, a right hander yet, and not create a hole at SS. If the Sox take on "Sharks"

Good post Lillian.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
If Anderson is the guy in the deal, if there is a deal, and he becomes a good SS and Samardjia is around for one season and the Sox don't at least make the playoffs, it is a horrible trade. There are a lot of ifs. But if the Sox are willing to trade Anderson, there may be something more attractive than on year of SamArdzjia available. Doesn't hurt to float his name around and see what someone else may be willing to give you.

Yes, as I said, whom they would have to give up is the big question mark?. However, I actually prefer the one year to extending him, for big money, and a

long term obligation.

I'm thinking a trade centered around Alexei and Samardjiza makes the most sense. Alexei buys at least one year for the A's #1 prospect Daniel Robertson (SS) to play a season at AAA in 2015. If Robertson performs well in 2015 then the A's can buy out Alexei after the 2015 season for 1M and if not the A's simply exercise Alexei's option for 2016 to buy Robertson more time at AAA. It gives Beane some options for now and the future.

Just to make it more interesting. What is the price for Samardjiza if an extension can be worked out? What is the additional cost to the Sox if they want Reddick with Samardjiza or Reddick with Samardjiza + extension? Who knows, maybe these are the details being discussed.

Even if nothing happens, the possibilities have been fun to think about.

Also just want to point out that the A's #1 and #3 prospects are short stops and if the trade is indeed centered around Alexei and Samardjiza then I doubt very seriously Anderson is involved. That's assuming Alexei and Samardjiza are the only big names being talked about.

A possible trade could look like Reddick, Samardjiza + extension for Alexei, Semien and Montas?

Regarding speculation that Reddick might be a desirable player to be included, I am not intrigued by his career .305 OBP.

The Sox need something better than that, and while it wouldn't likely come in this suggested trade, there must be another, better player

out there, whom could be acquired for some of that money, burning a hole in Hahn's pocket.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 05:12 PM)
Also just want to point out that the A's #1 and #3 prospects are short stops and if the trade is indeed centered around Alexei and Samardjiza then I doubt very seriously Anderson is involved. That's assuming Alexei and Samardjiza are the only big names being talked about.

A possible trade could look like Reddick, Samardjiza + extension for Alexei, Semien and Montas?

Don't you think that is an awful lot to offer? I much prefer Samardjiza, with no extension, for Semien and a lesser prospect, like Beck, or perhaps just Alexei.

Montas could end up being Samardjiza's replacement, when he files for free agency, at the end of the season.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
Don't you think that is an awful lot to offer? I much prefer Samardjiza, with no extension, for Semien and a lesser prospect, or perhaps just Alexei.

Montas could end up being Samardjiza's replacement, when he files for free agency, at the end of the season.

I feel like you might be undervaluing Shark's value a bit. Two mid level prospects aren't going to get it done and neither will just Alexei, IMO.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
Not sure if posted

@pgammo: With the White Red, Red Sox, Rangers, others talking Samadzija, AL GM says "there is no way he will sign and not go to free agency."

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:02 PM)
I wish I could take Gammons more seriously, but everyone knows he is a Red Sox schill. If that's true though, good luck to the A's on getting anything of consequence for him.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
And seriously, the White Red? f***ing laziness from Gammons. East coast indifference.

You guys may not want to hear it, but that's 100% the exact thing that was said over and over and over again about Samardzija when he was with the Cubs. That's supposedly why hew as traded.

You have to spend enough money on him to get him out of that mode. In other words, you're talking about a 9 figure deal to get him to give that up, because that's close to what he'll get as a free agent.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)
I feel like you might be undervaluing Shark's value a bit. Two mid level prospects aren't going to get it done and neither will just Alexei, IMO.

A starting pitcher, almost no matter how good he is, with 1 year remaining on his contract shouldn't get much more than a couple of mid level, solid but not spectacular prospects. Maybe like Kershaw a year from FA fine, but the guy needs to be on his way to the hall of fame to be worth a top 20+ guy.

Hypothetically speaking...For those worried about him being a rental. Lets say we traded Semien and Beck as the main pieces(I'm only trading Anderson if there's an extension on the table)....Would you guys trade Semien and Beck for Spencer Adams or Tyler Danish?

Essentially, in the worst case scenario where Jeff leaves you're still getting a top 40 draft pick.

I'm confident the Sox would be able to extend him, but losing him might not be the worst thing for the future.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 05:24 PM)

Perhaps you're right. Admittedly, I have no idea what Beane would accept. Moreover, I'm the one who feels that one year, with no contract extension is

actually preferable to signing him long term. So, I'm not placing any value on him, but rather just asserting that one year would be fine with me.

That said, what would you be willing to offer for one year of Samardjiza?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
If the Sox are willimg to send Anderson for Samardzjia, they probabky could have worked something out for Donaldson. Donaldson and a free agent pitcher seems like a nicer upgrade than possibly one year of the former Cubbie.

F*** yes. Anderson is a better player player than anyone in the deal for Donaldson. I'd open up Anderson for that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)
If the Sox are willimg to send Anderson for Samardzjia, they probabky could have worked something out for Donaldson. Donaldson and a free agent pitcher seems like a nicer upgrade than possibly one year of the former Cubbie.

Agreed. I am withholding judgement until I hear the return. If it's Semien, Beck, Ravelo, etc. Wonderful. If it's Montas/Anderson/Danish…not so pumped.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
Agreed. I am withholding judgement until I hear the return. If it's Semien, Beck, Ravelo, etc. Wonderful. If it's Montas/Anderson/Danish…not so pumped.

Rangel Ravelo totally seems like a classic Billy Beane success story.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
Perhaps you're right. Admittedly, I have no idea what Beane would accept. Moreover, I'm the one who feels that one year, with no contract extension is

actually preferable to signing him long term. So, I'm not placing any value on him, but rather just asserting that one year would be fine with me.

That said, what would you be willing to offer for one year of Samardjiza?

Quite frankly, maybe I'm wrong. I have no clue... I'm more of a Bears fan/writer. Been a Sox fan for a while but now with a steady Mon-Fri job, it's much easier to catch the games and stay up on it.