Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 01:07 PM)
IMO, if we're willing to spend what it takes to extend him, go sign Shields, keep the player we'd trade, and sacrifice a 2nd round pick that is much less likely to be a contributor. Yeah you get a guy who is older, but you keep the high minor league player and frankly Shields has for much of his career been a better pitcher than Samardzija.

Right, normally I would shy away from committing 4-5 years to a older pitcher but in the Sox case it would align nicely with our window to contend. If the price and years get outrageous for the top three SP, go a guy in that second tier. I would be fine/excited for a more modest deal for Masterson, Hammel, McCarthy, Maeda, Anderson, or Volquez.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 12:40 PM)
I am in full agreement.

They can also exclusively negotiate with Samardzija at that point and they may view the cost-value of Samardzija to be less prohibitive than that of Hamels, Latos, or Cueto. Who knows for sure. Also, Leake strikes me as a 3/4 starter in the AL, not nearly as good as Hamels, Latos, Cueto, or Samardzija. Not saying they wouldn't or shouldn't have interest, but it doesn't strike me as the guy they'd want.

Ultimately, Samardzija is going to want money. There is virtually no where in the United States (or Toronto) that these guys wouldn't play if you paid them enough.

I also don't think the A's traded Donaldson because he was getting expensive considering they just signed Billy Butler to a 3/$30 deal. This is not about Samardzija making too much. This is about extracting more future value out of Samardzija then he will currently give them. $20 million per year over 5 years is too expensive for the A's though.

Yes samardzija is going to want money but it is his choice of where he would prefer to get it at. Just because a team like Boston can offer more money doesn't mean he wants to be there. If all he cares about money then he signs with the highest bidder. If he looking at something else then he will forgo money from a team to play somewhere else. I guarantee that a player has turned down more money to play with a team he prefers. I do believe the expensiveness of Donaldson and the chance of getting more players at cost controlled terms is what Beane did the trade. Donaldson is in his first year of arbitration. He made $500,000 in 14 and based on mlb trade rumor arbitration projections he going to get 4 million more in 2015. Lawrie is also in arbitration eligible in 2015 and projected to get 1.8 million. They saved 2.7 million in swapping Donaldson for Lawrie and got 2 pitchers and a possible good ss prospect. Samardzija who they won't lock up is going to get about 10 million in arbitration. If Beane trades samardzija and gets prospects back he now saves the 10 million he would have spent for the year on samardzija which now equals butlers 2015 money.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

while i do understand what you are saying, I just don't believe

when a mlb in today will leave money on the table. I mean

a nice portion of money.

Think about it, will a player leave 3-5 mil on the table b/c

they didn't like a for whatever reason they have of a certain

place.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
while i do understand what you are saying, I just don't believe

when a mlb in today will leave money on the table. I mean

a nice portion of money.

Think about it, will a player leave 3-5 mil on the table b/c

they didn't like a for whatever reason they have of a certain

place.

$5 million on a $100 million deal? Yes, I think a guy would leave that on the table. People leave that on the table just by the states they move to if they head to a state with a high tax rate.

$5 million per year on a $100 million deal is a much bigger change.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 10:50 PM)
$5 million on a $100 million deal? Yes, I think a guy would leave that on the table. People leave that on the table just by the states they move to if they head to a state with a high tax rate.

$5 million per year on a $100 million deal is a much bigger change.

ok, i will respect what you are saying.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
What is the record for longest thread about a player who never ended up on the Sox?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
With a quick sort, it looks like Johnny Damon holds the record at 2122 replies.

To piggyback off of this, the longest thread about a team interested in a Sox player with nothing happens appears to be Boston inquiring about Quentin.

I was working in a kitchen at nights at that point in time and was playing video games otherwise. I was wondering how a thread made it to 1169 replies and I didn't have a single one of them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 11:48 PM)
Actually you got me thinking about threads that got moved out of PHT, and I found the Tanaka thread rules them all at 2556 replies.

could you also imagine how much more replies there would have been if the

sox indeed made a trade.

i will admit, it was fun seeing all the posters sign in. like old times. jeeze,

I really must stop that, its is make feel real freaking old. "old times"

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
Exactly

This idea that the Sox should overpay because they may extend him is inane.

That rarely happens.

Money talks.

Sox are in no position to do rents anyway, including renting the most elite 2/3 starter imaginable, the Shark.

I believe most people agree that the sox should not do the deal unless there is an extension in place.

Unless the deal is for lesser prospects.

I'm not even sure giving up what could be an elite closer in Montas for Samardzija is a good move, because you tack on $10 million in spending and you're left with only $10-15 million more for LF and the bullpen. (Of course, we'd have to spend that money anyway on a FA pitcher if we're really serious about competing.)

It definitely makes the White Sox competitive in 2015. The problem is that they would still be at least two players away and mortgaging the future for a player they might at best have a 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 chance of re-signing.

Seemingly, they have to target a pitcher they're going to control for a minimum of two and maximum of 4 years, as I don't think we'll see them go five years with a pitcher any time soon. (This is where a James Shields COULD make sense, but at $70-75 million for 3 years sense? Probably not.)

The draft pick compensation isn't SO helpful either, because his impact might not even be felt until after that competitive window has already closed.

I wouldn't trade Anderson, Rodon or Montas. On the fence with Hawkins (for the same reason they're holding out hope with Viciedo, POWER). I'd be okay with anyone else going, including Semien, M.Johnson or Danish.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 03:55 PM)
With a quick sort, it looks like Johnny Damon holds the record at 2122 replies.

Sounds crazy, but hoping to make it to 1000 before he signs with someone. Be nice to join the "Elite Squad" of 4 digit post archives of replies whereas it was all for nothing . LOL

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
I'm not even sure giving up what could be an elite closer in Montas for Samardzija is a good move, because you tack on $10 million in spending and you're left with only $10-15 million more for LF and the bullpen. (Of course, we'd have to spend that money anyway on a FA pitcher if we're really serious about competing.)

It definitely makes the White Sox competitive in 2015. The problem is that they would still be at least two players away and mortgaging the future for a player they might at best have a 1 in 4 or 1 in 3 chance of re-signing.

Seemingly, they have to target a pitcher they're going to control for a minimum of two and maximum of 4 years, as I don't think we'll see them go five years with a pitcher any time soon. (This is where a James Shields COULD make sense, but at $70-75 million for 3 years sense? Probably not.)

The draft pick compensation isn't SO helpful either, because his impact might not even be felt until after that competitive window has already closed.

I wouldn't trade Anderson, Rodon or Montas. On the fence with Hawkins (for the same reason they're holding out hope with Viciedo, POWER). I'd be okay with anyone else going, including Semien, M.Johnson or Danish.

Wait a minute. I thought relief pitchers were not worth worrying about because they throw too few innings to truly make an impact. Isn't that that sabermetric view?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
IMO, if we're willing to spend what it takes to extend him, go sign Shields, keep the player we'd trade, and sacrifice a 2nd round pick that is much less likely to be a contributor. Yeah you get a guy who is older, but you keep the high minor league player and frankly Shields has for much of his career been a better pitcher than Samardzija.

I agree. That move would make much more sense. If you sign Shields, the players being bandied about in Samardzjia talks could be used to acquire an impact bat and the Sox are better on both fronts.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 11:01 AM)
I agree. That move would make much more sense. If you sign Shields, the players being bandied about in Samardzjia talks could be used to acquire an impact bat and the Sox are better on both fronts.

If you do that then you give up the 2nd round draft pick which Hahn has been unwilling to do so far.

If you want to give up that 2nd round pick, you are as well spending a little more and going for it with Scherzer.

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)
If you do that then you give up the 2nd round draft pick which Hahn has been unwilling to do so far.

If you want to give up that 2nd round pick, you are as well spending a little more and going for it with Scherzer.

I wouldn't let a 2nd round draft pick deter me. I know Hahn says that but I don't agree with it. A 1st round pick would be a different story.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
I wouldn't let a 2nd round draft pick deter me. I know Hahn says that but I don't agree with it. A 1st round pick would be a different story.

I agree with this but Hahn hasn't given it up yet in the last 2 years and has been more interesting in trading for players than giving up that 2nd round pick.

I would like to see us give it up if we were to land Scherzer.

QUOTE (glangon @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)

Like I said before, the calculus for me is that the value of Tim Anderson or Marcus Semien, guys who have already made it to high levels in the minors >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the value of a 2nd round pick.

2nd round picks are nice, I wouldn't give them up flippantly, but a 2nd round pick who even winds up in a system's top 5 is pretty rare, let alone a 2nd round pick who makes the big leagues. The draft is that big of a gamble. We got really lucky with a guy who fell & was still singable last year, and even then he's years away from AAA.