Hamburgers

Heads22

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Kopp's, unfortunately there are only 3 and they're all in the Milwaukee area. Double cheese burger with the works. Only downside is it's a minor miracle if you don't need a triple bypass after finishing it, and you need to leave room for custard.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
I love Kopp's, unfortunately there are only 3 and they're all in the Milwaukee area. Double cheese burger with the works. Only downside is it's a minor miracle if you don't need a triple bypass after finishing it, and you need to leave room for custard.

We stopped there and the way to a concert in May, I was impressed

I wish I could remember the name of the place. It was near Elmhurst, probably south of Elmhurst actually. You picked out the cut of beef you wanted, added various fats, seasoning, etc. they dumped it in the meat grinder and would single, double, or triple grind it. From there it was formed into a patty and dropped on their flattop and fried up. Talk about not wanting anything else on the burger. Twenty years ago I think they were getting $7 for basically a 1/4 pound burger.

I love the little mom and pop places that can really make a burger. There was a place in Donna Texas we would go. It's a fast food setup, order at the counter and they will call your name to pick up your order. The entire menu is single or double hamburger, single or double cheeseburger, fries, onion rings, or chips, and a can of soda from the refrigerator. Cash only, exact change preferred ("You've been here dozens of times, you don't know it will cost $6.63? Bring exact change next time lol). Community tables to fit more people. Basically just 6' Sam's Club folding tables pushed together in 18' rows inside and ten or so wooden picnic tables outside that you are expected to share (which everyone does). It was a grocery store and to keep that designation they have a small bookcase with a few items that they dust every few weeks. When the winter Texans are in town you will wait for a half hour to order and another half hour to have your food arrive. The place is so friendly that even with that wait with so many people to talk to the wait doesn't seem that bad. Their annual decorating and advertising budget is $12.99 (they bought some Christmas lights last year). Open from 11:00 to 3:00 each day. As they tell it, they make all the money they can spend and are only opened four hours a day. Why be open longer? Go home and cook a dinner for your family!

I lived on the Outer Banks of North Carolina for about five years. There's a place down there called Dune Burger that makes outstanding burgers. Nothing fancy about them. Just big, flat patties on a fresh bun with the normal fixings. Lots of grease. Served in wax paper in a plastic basket. Part of what made it so good was sitting outside at their picnic tables with the ocean just feet away.

I gotta get back down there and get a burger.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 06:51 AM)
Heh. I forgot them. Have you been back since we went there?

Yeah I went back there once after you and I went but its been a while since then. Hope to take the kids there next summer.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
I lived on Washington St in Des Plaines for a few years. Went to North School for 2nd, 3rd, and part of 4th.

I dont know where my dad went to Grade school (pretty sure it was a catholic school, he talked about Nuns giving him the business when he was bad, just dont know where). He was a Maine West grad though

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 06:53 PM)
Just ate two McDonalds cheeseburgers. And some fries haven't had mCD in years. Tastes pretty good. Pretty sure that's the La Fin Du Mond talking.

Wait an hour and it won't feel as good. At least that is my reaction to anything but a mcmuffin at McDonalds.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Yeah I went back there once after you and I went but its been a while since then. Hope to take the kids there next summer.

Very cool. The Berrien/St. Joseph (MI) County Lake Michigan coast is a fun vacation area in the summer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
Wait an hour and it won't feel as good. At least that is my reaction to anything but a mcmuffin at McDonalds.

lol i know what you are saying.

Although I still have a strong addiction to big macs, and I will deal with the stomach issues

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:16 AM)
Has anyone ever been to The Assembly in Hoffman Estates on Barrington Rd and I 90?

Every burger comes with a mushroom sherry sauce, and it is pretty much the best thing ever(with a burger)

They also do excellent ribs.

A place called Sweetwater in the Loop has surprisingly good burgers. Au Cheval's cheeseburger is amazing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)

This is how I am with Chipotle. It's one of my favorite things around but absolutely destroys me within the next few hours.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 05:33 PM)
Had a triple pub burger last night from Culvers. I think it would be in my best interest that I don't eat another one of those. They are so rich and heavy I still feel it today. Plus I would like to live past 40.

Huh I had that yesterday too. But that's because the line for the new chic-fil-a was ridiculous