Snodgress and Carroll "not offered contracts"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
If they are clearing him off of the 40 man roster, I believe that at the very least means Snodgress is now exposed to waivers and any team can claim him with a 40 man roster position.

The language of "not offering a contract" makes me think released and now free agents, but I don't know if that is true.

I believe since Snodgress has options, he's still in the Sox system. I'm 90% sure, but that is why I was asking. I highly doubt they'd release him, and I don't believe that players with options have to go through waivers to go off the 40. Just not fully sure.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
I believe since Snodgress has options, he's still in the Sox system. I'm 90% sure, but that is why I was asking. I highly doubt they'd release him, and I don't believe that players with options have to go through waivers to go off the 40. Just not fully sure.

Nope. They are free agents.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...rting-snodgress

The White Sox reduced their 40-man roster to 39 on Tuesday when they didn’t tender contracts to pitchers Scott Snodgress and Scott Carroll.

The team has plans to extend offers to each of its five arbitration eligible players -- a group that includes outfielder Dayan Viciedo, catcher Tyler Flowers and right-handed pitchers Hector Noesi, Javy Guerra and Nate Jones -- before the 10:59 p.m. CST deadline on Tuesday.

Carroll, who went 5-10 with a 4.80 ERA over 26 games (19 starts) in 2014, had previously been removed from the team’s 40-man roster on Nov. 25 when the White Sox officially signed first baseman/designated hitter Adam LaRoche.

A fifth-round pick out of Stanford in 2011, Snodgress made 21 starts between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte this season before the franchise asked him to move to the bullpen. He went 6-7 with a 3.89 ERA in the minors this season before he allowed seven runs (four earned) in 2 1/3 innings pitched with the White Sox in September.

Both pitchers are now free agents.

Dylan Axelrod was a free agent too after being non-tendered last year and ended up re-signing with the Sox.

I'm guessing these guys get non-tendered with a handshake agreement that, if they can't find a major league deal, they'll re-sign on a minor league contract. Then, if a clear opportunity for an MLB spot arises with another organization, they do what they can to get them over there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
I agree 100%. They should non-tender him, but I don't think they will, and I think they'll be stuck with him.

They should not not-tender him.

He has talent - give him one more year.

I also saw that the Brave non-tendered Medlen. I'd check him out.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
They should not not-tender him.

He has talent - give him one more year.

I also saw that the Brave non-tendered Medlen. I'd check him out.

Medlen AND Beachy. Medlen recently turned 29 and Beachy 28. Sign either one of them though they may not be ready til May but still.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 06:31 PM)
Medlen AND Beachy. Medlen recently turned 29 and Beachy 28. Sign either one of them though they may not be ready til May but still.

Not one mention of Noesi and nate Jones. When Nate is on he's great. I hope his back issues are behind him. Noesi was satisfactory and hopefullyu turn a corner this year and do himself and the whitesox proud.

Never really bought into the idea they were going to non-tender him.

Whether he's still on the team Opening Day is another question altogether.

The belief that Snodgress was going to make the team as the 2nd lefty when they're (apparently) trying to compete or at least selling that notion to the fanbase was equally dubious.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 06:31 PM)

Beachy was only set to get $1.5 million. You'd think they'd roll the dice on that, especially if they're already dropping Medlen.

If nothing else, a $1.5 million flyer on a Beachy or Floyd, just for the "good will" component of taking care of him during his rehab...would go a long ways towards keeping him in the fold down the line.

Kind of like the situation with Peavy staying in Chicago and signing an extension. He was obviously already comfortable with the doctors, strength and conditioning people, etc.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 09:43 PM)
FutureSox: Carroll and Snodgress non-tendered - what it means.

In response to SS2K5, as it turns out, they COULD have put Snodgress through waivers and used an option, but chose not to. Which is odd. Which is what I wrote about.

Yeah, that is the typical process for moving a guy from the 40 man to the non-roster players. What through me is the "not offered a contract", like I said, which made me think free agency.

Odd for sure.

another read on the contract offer process.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/non-...tting-salaries/

highlight

After checking with a few front office officials, the answer is that teams have figured out a nice quirk of the nontender deadline. It’s one time that teams can clear a player off the 40-man roster without having to designate the player for assignment. Players nontendered do not hit the waiver wire, they become free agents immediately.

So the nontender deadline is a way to drop a prospect off the 40-man roster with a better chance of retaining him on a minor league contract than it would if you had to expose him on waivers for everyone to claim. The now-free agent can opt to sign with someone else, but that’s often not as appealing as returning to the organization one already knows. Go to another organization and you’re often just another guy. Stick with your existing organization and you have a few coaches, a signing scout or a roving instructor who is sticking up for you in organization meetings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 12:58 PM)
another read on the contract offer process.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/non-...tting-salaries/

highlight

That is very interesting.

With that said, Snodgress is pretty bad and was not impressed by him at all. I too think it will be Surkamp and Duke as the lefties in the bullpen.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
That is very interesting.

With that said, Snodgress is pretty bad and was not impressed by him at all. I too think it will be Surkamp and Duke as the lefties in the bullpen.

He was absolutely atrocious and needs some time to work, but there's talent there. Lefties that throw 90-93 don't grow on trees, and I think he can ramp it up higher than that.

I made mention of that earlier...you could see the Sox re-sign these guys if they don't get MLB contracts from someone else.

The off-topic thing, but Wesley Wright getting non-tendered is really weird.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 01:19 PM)
He was absolutely atrocious and needs some time to work, but there's talent there. Lefties that throw 90-93 don't grow on trees, and I think he can ramp it up higher than that.

I made mention of that earlier...you could see the Sox re-sign these guys if they don't get MLB contracts from someone else.

The off-topic thing, but Wesley Wright getting non-tendered is really weird.

I wanted him last year. Huge fan of him, would love to add to the bullpen.