Snodgress and Carroll "not offered contracts"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 3h3 hours ago

The White Sox' 5 arbitration-eligibles figure to be tendered before 11 pm deadline: Flowers, Viciedo, Noesi, Guerra, Nate Jones.

They will either tender contracts to have all 5 or trade Viciedo at some point today. No non tenders though.

If they can't find a trade partner for Viciedo IMO he's a non-tender candidate. If there is zero market for him the last thing want is to be stuck with his dead weight. That said, that's probably unlikely. Someone will take a flyer on him in late Winter IMO. Won't be the Sox though.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

If they can't find a trade partner for Viciedo IMO he's a non-tender candidate. If there is zero market for him the last thing want is to be stuck with his dead weight. That said, that's probably unlikely. Someone will take a flyer on him in late Winter IMO. Won't be the Sox though.

I agree 100%. They should non-tender him, but I don't think they will, and I think they'll be stuck with him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
As I mentioned in a different thread, there are much worse ways to spend a bench spot and $4 million than on Dayan Viciedo.

No contending team wants to carry a a 90 wRC+ DH/LF type as their 4th OF. You need someone that can play center, ideally can play it well so can be used as a defensive replacement in LF/RF as well.

I disagree completely, there are myriad better ways to use both the money and the roster spot.

edit: ha, me and Rowand on that same ish.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
No contending team wants to carry a a 90 wRC+ DH/LF type as their 4th OF. You need someone that can play center, ideally can play it well so can be used as a defensive replacement in LF/RF as well.

I disagree completely, there are myriad better ways to use both the money and the roster spot.

edit: ha, me and Rowand on that same ish.

Except that most of those 95 wRC+ players also don't have the talent Viciedo does either. He turns 26 next year and has position versatility. I really strongly doubt the player the Sox bring in to play LF will be incapable of playing CF, and they will have a true backup outfielder on the bench (I'm assuming Jordan Danks). That's 3 right there.

It's not a salary that's going to prohibit any major signings and it's not a long-term thing. This is exactly the type of move White Sox fans have been clamoring for the Sox to make. Why is it different just because the player has been there for 3-4 years?

I think this is going to be very similar to the Beckham situation last year, the Sox will rid themselves of him come late July or August, and they never have to worry about him again. But perhaps it will be sitting on the bench and learning and watching that will help him as a hitter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
As I mentioned in a different thread, there are much worse ways to spend a bench spot and $4 million than on Dayan Viciedo.

The ONLY one I can think of is upside, and that's less likely to show up in a part-time role. The $4m isn't really the issue -- it's the use of a 25 man roster slot on someone who doesn't help you win. A guy who can add value defensively is much better. Viciedo doesn't add value defensively OR offensively.

I'd tender him a contract as a backup plan for starting LF. But I'd DFA him in a second if I got a real option in LF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Well, Jeff Keppinger is one, but the White Sox already did that one.

They could also buy 2 million $2 cheeseburgers and fill the dugout, but they'd go bad before they could get eaten.

Bring back Carlos Castillo. He'll take care of them. He is working with Eddy Alvarez anyway.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
The ONLY one I can think of is upside, and that's less likely to show up in a part-time role. The $4m isn't really the issue -- it's the use of a 25 man roster slot on someone who doesn't help you win. A guy who can add value defensively is much better. Viciedo doesn't add value defensively OR offensively.

I'd tender him a contract as a backup plan for starting LF. But I'd DFA him in a second if I got a real option in LF.

The White Sox aren't going to eat a $4 million contract in January and I find it highly unlikely they'll be able to trade him in January if they haven't traded him yet. Only exception is if he's a "bad contract throw in" in a larger deal where he's treated as about as useful as Danks.

IMO, he's a very likely starting corner OF if he's brought back. There's literally no other role for him on this roster. He's a terrible backup option, he's not taking playing time away from Laroche at DH, he's not moving positions.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)

I think having him as insurance for LF, RF, and 1B isn't a bad thing either. I think as a starting player Andy Wilkins is a better option, but there aren't a ton of guys I'd rather have starting in the system currently over Viciedo.

It'd be nicer if he could play a lick of 3B, and maybe it's something they'd try and work him at to see if he can be passable as an option for a game or two.

I'm not married to the idea, just that it's not the worst thing and you may be able to find a decent role for him as a bench player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
The White Sox aren't going to eat a $4 million contract in January and I find it highly unlikely they'll be able to trade him in January if they haven't traded him yet. Only exception is if he's a "bad contract throw in" in a larger deal where he's treated as about as useful as Danks.

IMO, he's a very likely starting corner OF if he's brought back. There's literally no other role for him on this roster. He's a terrible backup option, he's not taking playing time away from Laroche at DH, he's not moving positions.

I think he could very easily be a better option against lefties at this point than LaRoche is, even with his sort of reverse-looking platoon splits the past couple years.

Frankly, I think the modern game is all about keeping people fresh. I think Viciedo can help out with that quite a bit.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 52s52 seconds ago

#WhiteSox declined to tender contracts to Scott Snodgress and Scott Carroll. Moves leaves 40-man at 39.

Forgive my ignorance on this, hoping someone will help me...

With Snodgress, I believe that still means they have his rights and can option him, right? Without exposure to waivers?

For Carroll, he's already been DFA'd and is in flux. Yes? No options for Carroll?

Calling Kalapse!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
Forgive my ignorance on this, hoping someone will help me...

With Snodgress, I believe that still means they have his rights and can option him, right? Without exposure to waivers?

For Carroll, he's already been DFA'd and is in flux. Yes? No options for Carroll?

Calling Kalapse!

If they are clearing him off of the 40 man roster, I believe that at the very least means Snodgress is now exposed to waivers and any team can claim him with a 40 man roster position.

The language of "not offering a contract" makes me think released and now free agents, but I don't know if that is true.