2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
That's good news then. Think of all the Chicagoans out in Vegas betting 1000 or so bucks on the Cubs winning it all. Vegas knows so I'm glad we're safe this first postseason of their upcoming dominance. No Cub title this year!

Greg you cannot be this freaking obtuse.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 08:50 PM)
Yup, without a doubt. 1.20 ERA in 30 innings against the NL this year and of those 4 starts 3 were against NL playoff teams (Cubs and Cards). The numbers Sale would put up in the NL would be video game worthy.

He also missed any NL teams when he was in his 2 rough stretches. That can happen by chance too. If he'd hit an NL team in early April or late July his numbers could look a lot worse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 07:56 PM)
He also missed any NL teams when he was in his 2 rough stretches. That can happen by chance too. If he'd hit an NL team in early April or late July his numbers could look a lot worse.

Nah, I'm confident his ERA would be below 2 in the NL this year. He has a career ERA of below 2 against the NL. I don't think that's a mere coincidence or by chance. Plus imagine roughly half of those games were at home with a DH, imagine if all games but interleague road games were played without a DH. Yea I'm thinking an ERA around 1.6-1.8 if he pitched in the NL this year.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 09:39 PM)
Nah, I'm confident his ERA would be below 2 in the NL this year. He has a career ERA of below 2 against the NL. I don't think that's a mere coincidence or by chance. Plus imagine roughly half of those games were at home with a DH, imagine if all games but interleague road games were played without a DH. Yea I'm thinking an ERA around 1.6-1.8 if he pitched in the NL this year.

So his ERA would drop in half with a switch to the NL? And by your math Sonny Gray would have a 1.10 ERA in the NL? Doubtful.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
So his ERA would drop in half with a switch to the NL? And by your math Sonny Gray would have a 1.10 ERA in the NL? Doubtful.

Didn't say all AL pitchers, just Chris Sale. How do you explain his sub 2 career ERA against the NL while his career ERA against the AL is around 3? This year there is an even greater disparity between his AL vs NL numbers. Coincidence or established pattern?

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 10:20 PM)
Didn't say all AL pitchers, just Chris Sale. How do you explain his sub 2 career ERA against the NL while his career ERA against the AL is around 3? This year there is an even greater disparity between his AL vs NL numbers. Coincidence or established pattern?

91 innings in 5 plus seasons? That's hardly an established pattern, it's not even half a normal season workload.

I'm sure his numbers would be better, but given the grind and ups and downs of a full season and NL teams seeing him more, I don't think you can just assume a sub 2 ERA. That rarely happens as it is.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 07:27 AM)
91 innings in 5 plus seasons? That's hardly an established pattern, it's not even half a normal season workload.

I'm sure his numbers would be better, but given the grind and ups and downs of a full season and NL teams seeing him more, I don't think you can just assume a sub 2 ERA. That rarely happens as it is.

Kershaw has done it in each of the prior two seasons and has a good chance of doing it again this season. In my opinion, Sale is just as good as Kershaw so I certainly can assume he'd replicate Kershaws numbers if he pitched in the NL. Sale's career statistics against the NL even if they only amount to ~half a seasons worth further support this argument.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)
Kershaw has done it in each of the prior two seasons and has a good chance of doing it again this season. In my opinion, Sale is just as good as Kershaw so I certainly can assume he'd replicate Kershaws numbers if he pitched in the NL. Sale's career statistics against the NL even if they only amount to ~half a seasons worth further support this argument.

But the other 10 AL pitchers with better ERAs than Sale this season wouldn't see similar decreases because?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
But the other 10 AL pitchers with better ERAs than Sale this season wouldn't see similar decreases because?

Maybe they would? I haven't watched the other top AL pitchers nearly as much as I have watched Sale since he joined the Sox so I can't speak for them. Have the other top AL pitchers dominated the NL the same way Sale has over the course of their careers?

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Maybe they would? I haven't watched the other top AL pitchers nearly as much as I have watched Sale since he joined the Sox so I can't speak for them. Have the other top AL pitchers dominated the NL the same way Sale has over the course of their careers?

I'd have to imagine that if you took random 91 inning sample sizes over 4-5 seasons, I'm sure you can find similar results.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 01:07 AM)
for some reason I feel like I've been considering the Dodgers an elite team this year, but they really aren't quite as good as I thought

Awful 1-2 in their lineup doesn't help. Puig also has sucked and their trade deadline acquisitions have been horrendous. As for tonight, Arrieta is making them look silly. He's been the best pitcher in baseball the last month.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 09:34 AM)

At their best, Sale and Kershaw are 1A and 1B, but Sale goes through the motion and gets hit hard every now and then. Kershaw is the perfect model for consistency and rarely gets himself a bad start. So even if Sale moves to NL, he will still run into those bad starts. He will be better than a 3.20 ERA, but won't be Kershaw good.

And for that reason I will agree with LittleHurt, assuming a sub 2.00 ERA is a bit far-fetched.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
At their best, Sale and Kershaw are 1A and 1B, but Sale goes through the motion and gets hit hard every now and then. Kershaw is the perfect model for consistency and rarely gets himself a bad start. So even if Sale moves to NL, he will still run into those bad starts. He will be better than a 3.20 ERA, but won't be Kershaw good.

And for that reason I will agree with LittleHurt, assuming a sub 2.00 ERA is a bit far-fetched.

Out of Grienke's 7.5 seasons pitching in the AL, he only had one season in which his ERA was lower than Sale's CAREER ERA. Yet he has an ERA of 1.61 and WHIP of 0.85 pitching in the NL this season. I fail to understand how Sale with a sub-2 ERA while pitching in the NL is far fetched. Sale has a CAREER ERA of 2.85 and his highest over a full season is 3.07. How is that inconsistent? Sure he has some bad starts here and there but everyone does. I would venture to say he'd have far less of those bad starts pitching in the NL.

With all the resources the Dodgers have "wasted" this season, it's pretty difficult to say this season has been successful for Friedman so far.

Of course, everything could change in the post-season, Kershaw vs. the Cardinals, etc. Obviously, they've also got a 3 1/2 game lead over the Giants at the moment, but it's a bit tenuous.

Just goes to show how much they miss "elite" Puig, Ramirez and Kemp...for awhile, Pederson, Grandal and Turner were replacing that production, along with Adrian Gonzalez busting out early. That 2013 team seemed set to romp through the playoffs, this version is more like the 2008 White Sox albeit with two elite starters.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 30, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
Out of Grienke's 7.5 seasons pitching in the AL, he only had one season in which his ERA was lower than Sale's CAREER ERA. Yet he has an ERA of 1.61 and WHIP of 0.85 pitching in the NL this season. I fail to understand how Sale with a sub-2 ERA while pitching in the NL is far fetched. Sale has a CAREER ERA of 2.85 and his highest over a full season is 3.07. How is that inconsistent? Sure he has some bad starts here and there but everyone does. I would venture to say he'd have far less of those bad starts pitching in the NL.

That's comparing apples to oranges, there are so many factors that played in Greinke's season so far, 1 being this is his contract year, the other being that he's been extremely lucky. He currently has the 2nd lowest BABIP in the league at .234, for comparisons sake his career BABIP is .300. Sale is at .290 career wise FYI. If you were wondering why Greinke became so good this year, look no further.

You are also conveniently leaving out the thousands of other occasions where pitchers switched leagues but didn't see his ERA dropped significantly. Two reason examples, James Shield actually had his ERA risen even though he now pitches in a pitchers heaven. Max Scherzer is putting up identical ERA and FIP as he did two years ago when he pitched in the hitter friendly Comerica.

Sale will get better in the NL, but he won't shave 1 full run off his ERA. Just because he's facing a pitcher instead of a DH or that you are trying to extrapolate a 91 inning career sample size is not a convincing argument.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs