2015 Films thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately, the nationwide expansion of Steve Jobs isn't panning out as expected. After two successful weeks in platform release, the strongly reviewed film earned just $2.43 million on Friday from 2,493 theaters. To put that into perspective, it falls below the $2.6 million opening day of the Ashton Kutcher-led Jobs back in August 2013. With the aforementioned critical response (86 percent) and positive early reactions from audiences (81 percent), it's clear that demand for yet another film about the tech icon just wasn't there among most paying customers despite a strong ensemble cast led by Michael Fassbender. The film's buzz could create some back-loading as it still hopes to contend during awards season, but it will need some help from casual audiences going forward. Universal itself is projecting close to a $7.1 million weekend.

Boxoffice.com

So two movies that were early critical favorites, The Walk and now Jobs, are bombing.

Wonder how much that has to do with earlier incantations (the Ashton Kutcher Jobs actually outgrossed this version) have to do with that, because Sorkin's an excellent writer. Jobs and Apple burnout?

On the other hand, The Martian was great. Not as visually exciting and thrilling and preposterous as Gravity, but just a very solid movie that I enjoyed much more than Interstellar. Reminiscent of Castaway and The Life of Pi in many ways. Damon really carried this picture. Daniels and Chastain were good in supporting roles, but this was a Damon tour de force.

Too bad people didn't see The Walk. It's really a love letter to the towers more than anything.

Steve Jobs was ok. More surprised people aren't seeing that than The Walk because thought audiences would assume it was a biopic and timeline when it's really not.

While We're Young is an excellent film.

Noah Baumbach is on a roll.

Ben Stiller, Naomi Watts, Adam Driver and Amanda Seyfried. Reminiscent of This is 40 but much better.

This one was way out there but uniquely compelling.

"The Tribe"

Director: Myroslav Slaboshpytskiy

Cast: Grigory Fesenko, Yana Novikova, Rosa Babiy

Synopsis: A shy boy arrives at a boarding school for the deaf. There he tries to find his place in the hierarchy of the school community, which operates like a Mafiosi group ungoverned by the outside world.

Verdict: We need more bold, purely cinematic films like “The Tribe.” Playing like an even more disturbing combination of “City of God” and “Lord of the Flies,” debut Ukrainian director Myroslav Slaboshpytskiy takes a potentially gimmicky conceit — all dialogue is spoken through sign language with no subtitles — and infuses it with dread, political subversion (it directly comments on current Ukrainian politics) and incredible filmmaking bravado. Nearly all scenes play out in impeccably choreographed long takes, with a camera that rarely stops moving — its style is akin to Michael Haneke’s “Code Unknown” and features a similar foreboding, disquieting sense that things are going to end badly. And what's so impressive is that although its formalism is so rigid, it rises well above gimmick to become a truly great, unique piece of cinema (and a very fine crime movie to boot), conjuring its own world, commenting on ours and giving the audience something actually, palpably new.

Our Review: Jess' A grade Cannes review

Release Date: Will play Sundance prior to a theatrical release and VOD via Drafthouse.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/the...y-seen-20150107

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
Watched this on Saturday. It was a lot funnier than I thought it would be.

It was just really good, the more I thought about it.

Also loved the very end. Made me go, "f Yeah!"

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
Worked for the Film Festival and the nightmare is almost over.

Couldn't have had a better time

We should make you your own thread where you can post this stuff that nobody cares about so I dont have to see it in a thread thats supposed to be about movies.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 27, 2015 -> 07:04 PM)
We should make you your own thread where you can post this stuff that nobody cares about so I dont have to see it in a thread thats supposed to be about movies.

I am a little lost but how is what I posted not related to movies/films? I may be a little lost but something tells me you're definetely not up to par.

If anyone wants to come to the Film Festival, I have 6 vouchers that have gone unused. They are playing the movie, Spotlight, its about the Boston Globe's coverage of the 2003 Catholic Church Sex Abuse Scandals.

If anyone wants them you can have them or I am giving them away to the people waiting in the rush line for tickets.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
I am a little lost but how is what I posted not related to movies/films? I may be a little lost but something tells me you're definetely not up to par.

This is a thread to discuss and review movies, not to try to impress people with information that nobody cares about. Have you noticed nobody positively engages you when you post that stuff? Post it in the catch all thread or something.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
This is a thread to discuss and review movies, not to try to impress people with information that nobody cares about. Have you noticed nobody positively engages you when you post that stuff? Post it in the catch all thread or something.

I'm really going to reconsider my time here.

Speaking of movie news.

James Franco's movie about the making of The Room, called The Diaster Artist, where he plays Tommy Wiseau starts filling this December.

If you have not seen The Room, I suggest you check it out. Its really the worst movie I have ever seen, it makes Birdemic and Troll 2 look like Citizen Kane.

I know that they play at the Music Box regularly, so check out at the theater if you can.

Edited by Joshua Strong

this has been done..... well many, many yrs ago. i think even before the sox WS.

so since then many movies have been release since then, maybe changing the lineup.

name your 10 scariest movies of all times with 1 the scariest and 10 the least.

this is for Halloween tribute.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 11:34 PM)
this has been done..... well many, many yrs ago. i think even before the sox WS.

so since then many movies have been release since then, maybe changing the lineup.

name your 10 scariest movies of all times with 1 the scariest and 10 the least.

this is for Halloween tribute.

Just my personal top ten, not in any particular order.

Halloween

Insidious

Alien

The Shining

The Exorcist

It Follows

The Babadook

The Omen

Sinister

Oculus

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 06:33 AM)
Just my personal top ten, not in any particular order.

Halloween

Insidious

Alien

The Shining

The Exorcist

It Follows

The Babadook

The Omen

Sinister

Oculus

mine

1. Exorcist

2. Omen 1 and 2

3. Rosemary baby

4. Halloween 1979

5. Sixth sense - i really don't know | Ring

6. Child play | Annabelle [plus any from the Gwen files]

7. Nightmare on Elm street | Insidious

8. Seven | Grudge [the japanese version]

9. Shutter [japanese version]

10. Conjuring | Christopher Columbus [the most scariest part is when they saw land, which was north america ..... ]

1. The Beyond

2. The Fog

3. Zombie aka Zombi 2

4. Nightmare on Elm St.

5. House of the Devil

6. The Evil Dead

7. City of the Living Dead

8. Day of the Dead

9. Demons

10. Sinister

These aren't my favorite horror movies, but the one's that creep me out the most. Italian horror movies, while sometimes really bad, can be really creepy.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 02:22 AM)
mine

1. Exorcist

2. Omen 1 and 2

3. Rosemary baby

4. Halloween 1979

5. Sixth sense - i really don't know | Ring

6. Child play | Annabelle [plus any from the Gwen files]

7. Nightmare on Elm street | Insidious

8. Seven | Grudge [the japanese version]

9. Shutter [japanese version]

10. Conjuring | Christopher Columbus [the most scariest part is when they saw land, which was north america ..... ]

I thought about the Conjuring but I've never seen or heard someone consider Se7en to be a horror film.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
I thought about the Conjuring but I've never seen or heard someone consider Se7en to be a horror film.

you got a very great point, that was were i was torn as i was with Nightmare on Elm street and Sixth sense with the same idea.

i just wasn't too sure of who one would define it.

i was confuse as well.

many thanks

Watched a lot of horror flicks this month. I'll give a brief review if anyone wants to watch any the next two nights for the holiday. All of the these are on Netflix/Amazon Prime except the Visit which I saw in theaters and It Follows which is on demand.

The Seasoning House- Girl runs around a prostitute house. Very uneasy to watch and not very good in the least. PASS

Haunting of Silver Falls- By the books horror movie. Okay watch, but forgettable. PASS

Friday the 13th Part 7- I'm not sure why I watched this. PASS

Monster Squad- Pretty much everything great about both 80s corniness and low budget horror. I'm surprised this isn't more of a cult classic. Its fantastic. WATCH

Nightmare on Elm Street- Obvious classic. Hasn't aged well. Watch if you haven't, but can't really recommend it either. PASS

Exeter- Not any good. PASS

The Visit- It's not the Sixth Sense or Unbreakable. But it's better than everything else he's put out. Pure M Night fun. WATCH

Deliver Us from Evil- Lots of modern takes on exorcism movies. Decent cast for a horror flick. Enjoyable. WATCH

Dark was the Night- Creature Feature. Highly flawed. They show the creature in the first scene then spend the rest of the flick hiding it. WTF? Way too long and also an unnecessary religious subplot that goes nowhere. PASS

The Hole- Fantasy/horror, sort of kid's flick about a group of kids who find a mysterious pit in the basement. This one is lots of fun. WATCH

Mockingbird- Absolutely loved this film. Found footage style pitting 3 different people in some strange gameshow. Was hooked from start to finish. WATCH

Mr. Jones- Man the premise of this film is so so good. So is the first 25% of it. Then it just goes completely off the rails resulting in one of the worst movies I've ever watched. Terrible. PASS

It Follows- The movie everyone has been talking about this month. Very very torn on it. Many think it's a modern classic. I wont say much on it, but yeah I think it's very very flawed, but i'd watch it anyways to see what the fuss is about. The atmosphere of the whole thing is as good as I've seen in a movie, I'll say that. WATCH

Dead Sience- Someone took the dummy from goosebumps and made a terrible movie out of it. PASS

They- Wes Craven is a legend. This movie does not showcase that. His worst. PASS

Creep- Very very unsettling. Unique film. Extremely well acted for a low budget horror film. Give it a watch WATCH

Would You Rather- Rich psycho pushes to the limit what one would do for money. Fun to see what the characters choose and dont. WATCH

Tales from the Darkside- 80s horror anthology schlock. Awesome! WATCH

Halloween 2007- Rob Zombie gave the classic proper treatment. Very graphic though, youve been warned. WATCH

Let Us Prey- Jailhouse is terrorized for the night. I think they came up with that concept than wrote the script after. Not good. PASS

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night- This has been talked about a lot recently because it's a feminist Iranian horror film. Thats cool and all. It's also the single worst movie I've ever seen. Holy crap is it bad. PASS

Gremlins- Critters is way better. PASS

Butterfly- Sadistic crazy mom tries killing some kids. Film makers thought it was a smarter concept than it actually is and decided to jump time back and forth. Results in an absolute mess of a film. PASS

ABC's of Death 2- 26 short films from 26 different directors (some a lot lot better than others). Everything is so completely different and it makes for an awesome film. I think it's my favorite on the list. I need to watch the first one now WATCH

Circle- 30 stereotypical characters condemned to die and have to decide who lives. Really fun watch, but I could do without the political overtones. WATCH