2015 Films thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 07:57 AM)
You are s***.

But also adorably perfect.

But in the case of your opinion on Episode 1. You are s***.

You take your Episode I bulls*** and I'll take my Man of Steel bulls*** and we'll agree to disagree.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was born in 1981, when I was a kid I used to watch Empire Strikes Back repeatedly. My parents were not into the movies at all, so hard to tell where I got it from. Episodes I, II and III unfortunately suffer due to being compared with IV, V, VI. There is just no way to have the shock factor of the Darth Vader reveal in the prequels. Who knows what the reception would be if you dont know that Anakin turns into Darth Vader, the same goes for Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine, etc. There is just no way to repeat the impact of the originals because there was no surprise.

That is why they erased all of the post Return of the Jedi canon.

Will they be as good as IV, V, IV? Who knows. It will be hard to compare, but they have a chance to be really good.

Oh and I wouldnt be surprised if Luke is in semi-exile like Obi-Wan. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if it follows a very similar story arc. Luke tries to train new Jedi's and one of them turns to the dark side, with Luke having to come back to defeat them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
I was born in 1981, when I was a kid I used to watch Empire Strikes Back repeatedly. My parents were not into the movies at all, so hard to tell where I got it from. Episodes I, II and III unfortunately suffer due to being compared with IV, V, VI. There is just no way to have the shock factor of the Darth Vader reveal in the prequels. Who knows what the reception would be if you dont know that Anakin turns into Darth Vader, the same goes for Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine, etc. There is just no way to repeat the impact of the originals because there was no surprise.

That is why they erased all of the post Return of the Jedi canon.

Will they be as good as IV, V, IV? Who knows. It will be hard to compare, but they have a chance to be really good.

Oh and I wouldnt be surprised if Luke is in semi-exile like Obi-Wan. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if it follows a very similar story arc. Luke tries to train new Jedi's and one of them turns to the dark side, with Luke having to come back to defeat them.

The funny thing is that is a big part of the post RotJ canon that was erased. Luke goes off to be by himself and then starts a Jedi training "academy". One of the trainees finds a Sith temple on the planet they are on, and a Sith ghost basically brings the kid to the dark side.

The rumor is that Luke goes into exile in the movie because he fears his own power and how it could be corrupted like his father was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
Pitch Perfect 2 was awful. They took everything that was cute about the first one, exaggerated it by a factor of 10, and made it not funny anymore. The side bits were way better than the main characters and plot.

Ummmmm....

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
To the people who don't get the love for Star Wars...

I don't understand why people are so infatuated with The Walking Dead and Game Of Thrones. That blows my mind.

Never have been interesting in Dead. I watch Game of Thrones, but I don't get the obsession over it. It is decent, but I don't get the LOST levels of obsession either.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
Never have been interesting in Dead. I watch Game of Thrones, but I don't get the obsession over it. It is decent, but I don't get the LOST levels of obsession either.

Lost made sense to me because there was so much mystery and theorizing. It was perfect water cooler entertainment. Walking Dead and Game of Thrones fill two genres (apocalypse/survival and fantasy).

I wasn't meaning to say that I don't get why people like Star Wars or why people find it interesting. It's more the intensity of the fandom I don't get. To the point where people will supposedly spend thousands or tens of thousands just to see the movie when it premieres. There's an obsession to it that really is unrivaled.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Lost made sense to me because there was so much mystery and theorizing. It was perfect water cooler entertainment. Walking Dead and Game of Thrones fill two genres (apocalypse/survival and fantasy).

I wasn't meaning to say that I don't get why people like Star Wars or why people find it interesting. It's more the intensity of the fandom I don't get. To the point where people will supposedly spend thousands or tens of thousands just to see the movie when it premieres. There's an obsession to it that really is unrivaled.

Star Trek is pretty close in obsession, if not equal

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
Pssh, no way. Disney put 500 storm troopers on the great wall of china the other day. You're not doing those massive, global events with Star Trek.

Trek has faded a bit, but they have been having conventions since 1972, before Star Wars was even a Lucas thought. You could give them credit for cosplay, there are movies and documentaries and spoofs(galaxy quest) dedicated to their Trekkies. There has also been multiple long running TV shows based on Star Trek that have all gone into syndication.

Just because Disney is dumping a ton of money into their product doesn't lessen the impact of the Trek fandom. Trek just stopped making movies that people wanted to see

Well, with all of those you have an entire world being created, from common companies, to geographies, physics and characters. Seems like the star wars world has just really resonated.

It is crazy watching the first two how much information they packed into it that was so accessible to digest. It was the opposite of a Chris nolan movie, where he'll just explain a world's rules to you for 4 hours and then finish it with "THERES SO MUCH WE CANT KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
To the point where people will supposedly spend thousands or tens of thousands just to see the movie when it premieres.

I've never heard of this but I guess it could happen if someone had to travel a long distance for it.

Although there are also people out there that will spend thousands of dollars for a video game system on Ebay just to have it "first". Almost the same thing.

Twilight and Hunger Games, for the younger crowd.

Harry Potter definitely has to be up there, because of the world-wide affinity for the books.

The Fast & the Furious fandom, maybe not AS passionate, but it's almost unprecedented to have a movie series go so long and be so profitable...in the middle sinking to Lucas Black and nearly straight to DVD, and then come roaring back again to be one of the biggest current franchises out there. Maybe the Paul Walker tragedy is also driving interest as well.

James Bond, although, once again....passionate fans? Maybe of Sean Connery and the classic Bond films.

Transformers has also been incredibly successful from a profitability and box office standpoint, but the passion is more confined to the younger generation who are enthralled by all the toys and doesn't extend quite as much to adults.

Even all the comic book movies (especially Marvel)...Avengers, Spider-man, Batman, fall a bit short.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 08:19 PM)
Twilight and Hunger Games, for the younger crowd.

Harry Potter definitely has to be up there, because of the world-wide affinity for the books.

The Fast & the Furious fandom, maybe not AS passionate, but it's almost unprecedented to have a movie series go so long and be so profitable...in the middle sinking to Lucas Black and nearly straight to DVD, and then come roaring back again to be one of the biggest current franchises out there. Maybe the Paul Walker tragedy is also driving interest as well.

James Bond, although, once again....passionate fans? Maybe of Sean Connery and the classic Bond films.

Transformers has also been incredibly successful from a profitability and box office standpoint, but the passion is more confined to the younger generation who are enthralled by all the toys and doesn't extend quite as much to adults.

Even all the comic book movies (especially Marvel)...Avengers, Spider-man, Batman, fall a bit short.

As part of the HP, LOTR and Marvel fandoms, I can say they don't even come close to Star Wars. And I probably prefer all three to Star Wars.

Star Wars also somehow has the edge in my generation over Twilight and Hunger Games. It's insane.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 01:56 AM)
As part of the HP, LOTR and Marvel fandoms, I can say they don't even come close to Star Wars. And I probably prefer all three to Star Wars.

Star Wars also somehow has the edge in my generation over Twilight and Hunger Games. It's insane.

Out of everything done since Star Wars, Harry Potter comes the closest, and is the only one that has the potential to maybe some day match it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
Out of everything done since Star Wars, Harry Potter comes the closest, and is the only one that has the potential to maybe some day match it.

There's no other franchise that has a toy for every single character, set, and ship/vehicle that's ever been in the film. Hundreds of characters.

There's never been a film series with that kind of huge cast that had that kind of popularity. Not even LOTR or Marvel films.

Maybe Star Trek, but they don't really appeal to kids. Not sword-fight-y space enough.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
There's no other franchise that has a toy for every single character, set, and ship/vehicle that's ever been in the film. Hundreds of characters.

There's never been a film series with that kind of huge cast that had that kind of popularity. Not even LOTR or Marvel films.

Maybe Star Trek, but they don't really appeal to kids. Not sword-fight-y space enough.

No, there isn't anything that is to that level yet, but like I said, I think HP is the closest. I mean even off-hand quotes from Rowling about characters YEARS later become news. The only other series that does that is Star Wars.