2015 TV Thread

LDF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ May 13, 2015 -> 11:13 AM)
With the exception of a couple of episodes, Community has been brutal. Just end it.

It's not the same as it was before. I wouldn't call it brutal, it's just not as good as it used to be. They lost 3 cast members, so it's somewhat understandable.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 14, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
Supergirl looks Superterrible

It does, but I don't think it was made for old folks like me. I think teenagers may be into this.

I will probably check out the first few episodes to see how it goes, but I would guess this is for younger people.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 14, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
It does, but I don't think it was made for old folks like me. I think teenagers may be into this.

I will probably check out the first few episodes to see how it goes, but I would guess this is for younger people.

I think it will be popular for a few years, definitely for the younger crowd. I am still surprised it is on CBS, it seems tailor made for CW

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 14, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
I think it will be popular for a few years, definitely for the younger crowd. I am still surprised it is on CBS, it seems tailor made for CW

It's funny cause the CW shows are pretty good as of late. Arrow, The Flash and iZombie.

They also just came out with a trailer for Legends of Tomorrow and it looks awesome.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 15, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
It's funny cause the CW shows are pretty good as of late. Arrow, The Flash and iZombie.

They also just came out with a trailer for Legends of Tomorrow and it looks awesome.

I think Supergirl could fit in there though because the audience target is younger than CBS primetime. And, it is supposed to be part of the same universe as Flash/Arrow/LoT. Just seems silly to put it on another channel

Binged Sherlock the past 3 days. I don't think I've ever seen a TV show that only has 3 episodes per season and each episode is the length of a movie. It's odd for me, since I usually don't watch British TV.

Great show though. The writers do a great job of creating mystery and intrigue.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 16, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
Binged Sherlock the past 3 days. I don't think I've ever seen a TV show that only has 3 episodes per season and each episode is the length of a movie. It's odd for me, since I usually don't watch British TV.

Great show though. The writers do a great job of creating mystery and intrigue.

Every British show I've seen has between 3 and 6 episodes a season, at least an hour long each.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 18, 2015 -> 01:49 AM)
Really? No posts on the Mad Men Finale??

Overall, I thought it was very well done, and I'm really going to miss this show.

It was very good. I'm a little disappointed somebody last week guessed right how it would end. When it got to the end, I knew what was coming.

Not sure if Matt Weiner would do a spinoff, but I kinda hope they leave it there.

Oh, and for one last time, it was stupid to split the season...even though we know why they did it.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 18, 2015 -> 01:49 AM)
Really? No posts on the Mad Men Finale??

I'm surprised there is some ambiguity out there about if Don went back to McCann and created the Coke ad. I don't see how there is anyway he DIDN'T. It's very evident by many of the clever placements in the final episode.

Overall, I thought it was very well done, and I'm really going to miss this show.

The only reason there is doubt is that it's a real ad and to my knowledge Weiner has never connected the worlds like that. You could also argue that Weiner was trying to show Don's final journey to happiness (shedding all of his guilt/sins during his road trip) was legit, whereas the ad world, the world where Don comes from, continues to put out commercials trying to sell you the same feeling but for a product like Coke. I think this argument would make more sense if we hadn't seen Don return to his same vices over and over again. The logical conclusion is that he commercialized that zen feeling he discovered. The more upbeat conclusion is that he truly did find peace and never went back.

I enjoyed Peggy's storyline, finally realizing there are other things in life besides work. Pete and Trudy. Meh. She was so cold the last few years, that all felt a littler rushed, although looking back you can see how Wiener tried to lay the ground work there. I liked Joan opening her own shop and being her own boss. Not sure I buy that her new love interest would just drop her because she won't retire. I mean, he was ready to take on the kid as well, but he can't handle her working?

All in all I think it was a good final 3 episodes. The rest of the final "season" was pretty mediocre to bad. I feel like we could have gotten the last 3 episodes at any point in the last few seasons. They made everything before them pretty meaningless. The series over all was worth watching. It was great at times and bad at times. Not an all-timer, but a really solid show

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 18, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)

I liked Joan opening her own shop and being her own boss. Not sure I buy that her new love interest would just drop her because she won't retire. I mean, he was ready to take on the kid as well, but he can't handle her working?

He pretty much said that STARTING her own business would take up all over her time/attention. I don't think her working would have been so much a problem as her starting something on her own.

Roger (as usual) with the best line of the night....."The only thing I got was suitcase! If you're going to yell at me, do it slowly or in English"

Edited by juddling

You could easily compare the Mad Men finale to The Sopranos finale. Ambiguity everywhere. I mean it's obvious that Don created the ad because the promo was his experience but just cutting to it and then the credits to the Life Goes On finish, which I have no problem with.

I translated your speech to Pig Latin.

That was a joke.

Was going to start its own thread: Letterman vs. the field.

Have you been enjoying or ignoring the end of Letterman? I thought Hanks was awesome last night. He was on fire as a guest. Eddie Vedder was awesome too playing "Better Man." Some other celebs have been awesome as guests the last 2-3 weeks.

My question was: Do you think TV execs told Dave it was time to go out on his own terms? Fallon I guess is a sensation with amazing ratings.

My final point is ... Letterman acts like he's made the wrong decision to retire now that it's here. My take is ... he's leaving one job as a talk show host. It seems to me some network would hire him to pretty much do whatever he wants. He can work another 10 years in TV if he wants I'd think, just not as a talk show host. Uh, he's got quite the resume if he wants to continue to stay relevant on TV. Think of the money Barbara Walters has made the last 10 years, past the retirement age.

I've never been a fan of Letterman. I just never really found him funny for some reason.

I'll watch his last show cuz i believe it's a big deal that a guy who's been on TV every weeknight since the 80s is leaving.

I definitely think he's leaving on his own terms. I think Howard Stern is right when he says it's a young mans game now and Dave doesn't need the hassle of competing with them.

Letterman's heyday was before my time (80's). In high school (1996-2000) I would always watch his monologue, top ten list and the first guest. I could tell even then that he was sorta mailing it in every night. He didn't have much enthusiasm unless something random hit (Uma/Oprah, the asian dude next door that he would have run around, Biff, etc.) I stopped watching in college and probably haven't watched more than about 5 minutes since. I'm shocked he stayed on the air as long as he did, but I'm sure it was his call more than CBS. He was still pulling in decent ratings. He was consistent, they knew what they would get.

It is odd though to hear or see people talk about what an influence he was. Norm MacDonald broke down crying the other night. I don't get it, but again, I think that's because he was huge in the 70's/80's.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 19, 2015 -> 05:04 PM)
It is odd though to hear or see people talk about what an influence he was. Norm MacDonald broke down crying the other night. I don't get it, but again, I think that's because he was huge in the 70's/80's.

This is how I feel. He just comes off as uninterested. He was always on way too late for me growing up so I never watched until he went to CBS.

He's still bitter about Leno getting Tonight Show but judging by ratings, NBC made the right decision.

P.S. The new guy after Letterman, Corbin?, is awful. CBS has to have buyers remorse.