FutureSox Top Prospects, Preseason 2015

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
I'll go ahead and predict the 1-15.

1. Carlos Rodon LHP

2. Tim Anderson SS

3. Francellis Montas RHP

4. Micah Johnson 2B

5. Spencer Adams RHP

6. Tyler Danish RHP

7. Courtney Hawkins OF

8. Trey Michalczewski 3B

9. Carlos Sanchez INF

10. Matt Davidson 3B

11. MIcker Adolfo OF

12. Chris Beck RHP

13. Jacob May OF

14. Clueulis Rondon SS

15. Jace Fry LHP

pretty close to what or how i would have pick them.... i think the 15-30 is 100% harder to pick.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 09:37 AM)
Interested in who you guys think should be lower or higher.

The best part of the FS list is seeing how this site falls in love with certain guys (Cleluis Rondon comes to mind) and becomes really bearish on others (i.e.Chris Beck) and then comparing the outliers to the big time publications.

I think Andrew Mitchell is too low but I value ceiling more than most people. The list also indicates that 3 of Jace Fry, Jake Peter, Adam Lopez, and Onelki Garcia won't be on the list. I'd rather see any of them than a guy like Andy Wilkens who is a non-priospect in my eyes. Obviously just my opinion though. I think guys like Luis Martinez, Nolan Sanburn, Michael Ynoa, and Adam Engel could take giant steps forward this year and I'm really glad to see Trayce Thompson so far down the list. It means good things for the system. Great job, guys.

The amount of talent in the 16 to 30 range is eye-opening. Sure, the vast majority of those guys will end up being nothing, but at least most of them have decent ceilings if all goes well. We've definitely decreased the amount of organizational types in our system over the past few years. Very encouraging sign for things to come.

As for missing players, I would have liked to see Antonio Rodriguez near the bottom of the list. I'll take his potential any day over a guy like Wilkins.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 08:53 AM)
I'm curious how people react to the list. When we did our voting and discussion, we felt the very top (top 6-7 or so) was strong, the next group (say 8-20-ish) was relatively weak, but the back end (20+) was very strong, all relative to a typical straight-line.

I agree with this. Sox have 6-7 guys who have huge potential or is very proven in the minors, then the next tier of folks who either has limited ceiling but a good track record in the minors, or decent ceiling but hasn't put it together yet. The 20-30 tier folks are interesting because they are still pretty far off, but if they take the next step forward, they could crack the top 10 by the end of the season. I am looking at you, Guerrero, Fry, and Martinez.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 09:22 AM)
1. Carlos Rodon

2. Tim Anderson

3. Micah Johnson

4. Tyler Danish

5. Courtney Hawkins

6. Frank Montas

7. Spencer Adams

8. Trey Michalczewski

9. Carlos Sanchez

10. Jacob May

11. Matt Davidson

12. Micker Adolfo

13 Cleuluis Rondon

14. Chris Beck

15. Jake Peter

I know Adams will be higher than Danish, but this is my list.

Pretty sure it will be Fry not Peter. Peter isn't the type of player that will get a lot of love after only half a season as he doesn't offer much besides above average hit tool.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 11:23 AM)
It's too bad Nieto had to be up with the big club all last season since he is still a prospect in most people's eyes. I wonder where he would rank if he qualified.

The range around 12-16 on my list felt like it was made of people who belonged around 20-25, Nieto would be just above those guys. We have a ton of "20-30" quality guys, maybe more than most teams, but we traded away guys from that range right around 10 and had a few flameouts that left everyone in that range feeling extremely overrated.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
I agree with this. Sox have 6-7 guys who have huge potential or is very proven in the minors, then the next tier of folks who either has limited ceiling but a good track record in the minors, or decent ceiling but hasn't put it together yet. The 20-30 tier folks are interesting because they are still pretty far off, but if they take the next step forward, they could crack the top 10 by the end of the season. I am looking at you, Guerrero, Fry, and Martinez.

Pretty sure it will be Fry not Peter. Peter isn't the type of player that will get a lot of love after only half a season as he doesn't offer much besides above average hit tool.

Yeah, you're probably right. I went through it pretty quick. Looking at it again, I'd probably change a couple things about my own list.

I think we're a little bit low on Sanburn here, he should be in the upper teens, or even borderline top 10 if it were up to me. He's a former shortstop, good athlete and sits on 93-94 on most days. Also throws pretty curve and change with an improving slider. With his arsenal has a very good chance to stick as a starter, a pretty good one at that, if he remains healthy (had some shoulder problems in the past).

I am also higher on Martinez, Guerrero, and Ynoa than Thompson, Barnum and Kevan Smith. I think the former trio also has a good chance to make it and contribute in one way or another. The chance of Barnum panning out is slim to none, and Thompson and Smith wouldn't be any more than bench players if they do make it.

Lastly, Robinson Leyer. High ceiling, had a good year last year, I think he will break out this year. Would be interested to see if he at least made the just-missed list.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
I think we're a little bit low on Sanburn here, he should be in the upper teens, or even borderline top 10 if it were up to me. He's a former shortstop, good athlete and sits on 93-94 on most days. Also throws pretty curve and change with an improving slider. With his arsenal has a very good chance to stick as a starter, a pretty good one at that, if he remains healthy (had some shoulder problems in the past).

I am also higher on Martinez, Guerrero, and Ynoa than Thompson, Barnum and Kevan Smith. I think the former trio also has a good chance to make it and contribute in one way or another. The chance of Barnum panning out is slim to none, and Thompson and Smith wouldn't be any more than bench players if they do make it.

Lastly, Robinson Leyer. High ceiling, had a good year last year, I think he will break out this year. Would be interested to see if he at least made the just-missed list.

With Sanburn, I gotta look at what he's done. 0 starts last year, decent but not spectacular performance in high A ball last year. Not exceptionally young for that level. Yes, there's talent there. Yes there's plenty of room to grow, but there's like 10 guys in the system I can say that about. He's one of the better ones, but until I see it on the field he's a reliever with a lot to learn.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)
With Sanburn, I gotta look at what he's done. 0 starts last year, decent but not spectacular performance in high A ball last year. Not exceptionally young for that level. Yes, there's talent there. Yes there's plenty of room to grow, but there's like 10 guys in the system I can say that about. He's one of the better ones, but until I see it on the field he's a reliever with a lot to learn.

This was a lot of my thought process behind Sanburn. I had Ynoa higher than him and it's because I feel he has a higher ceiling, and I had Ynoa at 20. If Sanburn comes out and blows people away next year or he ends up being a potential starting pitcher, then he'd rise, but I just couldn't help but view him as a fringe top 30 guy.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
Yeah, you're probably right. I went through it pretty quick. Looking at it again, I'd probably change a couple things about my own list.

I am a big fan of Peter. Still relatively young, and doesn't strikeout at all. If he can just hit .300 in A ball this year and do nothing else, he could certainly crack the Top 20 because of his age and the position he plays.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 11:26 AM)

That's what I figured to be the concern for most folks. The way I look at it, his stuff is there, a plus fastball and 3 average to above average secondary offering. Last year was the first year he was healthy and the A's stretched his arm out with multiple inning relieves and he did pretty well in that role. He should be given every chance to start this year and if he stays healthy, look out.

Without divulging the T15, wanted to reply on a couple comments...

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
I am a big fan of Peter. Still relatively young, and doesn't strikeout at all. If he can just hit .300 in A ball this year and do nothing else, he could certainly crack the Top 20 because of his age and the position he plays.

Peter does have more than a hit tool. He's considered good or better defensively at second and can play other positions on the infield, and he has a cannon for an arm (hit 95 as a pitcher). In fact, the fact that he was seen by some draft pundits as a pitching prospect more than an infielder, adds some potential value in flexibility in case the position player thing doesn't work out.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)

He's not a name we discussed, but there is some potential there, certainly more than his brother had. Potential breakout guy, I agree.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 07:37 AM)
Interested in who you guys think should be lower or higher.

The best part of the FS list is seeing how this site falls in love with certain guys (Cleluis Rondon comes to mind) and becomes really bearish on others (i.e.Chris Beck) and then comparing the outliers to the big time publications.

I'd be the one who rates Rondon the highest. I'm also probably one of the least down on Beck out of the group (although Beck there is definitely a disparity).

Also since we're talking about where we (the voters) stood on players versus the concensus on just 16-30, I'll air mine out...

--I was significantly lower (more than a few slots) on Saladino (had him 21st) and Wilkins (unranked for me)

--I was significantly higher (more than a few slots) on Sanburn (had him 14th) and Engel (17th)

--Guys who didn't make the T30 at all but who were in MY T30: Brandon Brennan (27), Onelki Garcia (28), Jason Coats (30)

--Jake Peter was my "last out" guy, and I also played with ranking Adam Lopez at the back end but didn't.

I won't get into some of the T15 guys yet.

When we publish the full list Thursday, it will include the list of players who received votes but didn't make the final T30.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
I'd be the one who rates Rondon the highest. I'm also probably one of the least down on Beck out of the group (although Beck there is definitely a disparity).

For me there's a group right around #10 that are "clearly better than the extremely weak range in 13-18" but each of whom has their own issues or hasn't shown me enough to move up. Beck falls in that group. He's clearly a couple steps above the 13-ish range but in a really strong system you could see him being that low.

My thoughts on the list:

I LOVE that Andre Wheeler is getting some love. He was dominant in Kannapolis last year, but I don't know why he wasn't getting promoted. With him entering the season at 23, and hopefully in Winston Salem, if he does well, I want him flying through the system if he performs. Real high on Wheeler.

Another guy I'm high on is Luis Martinez, love that you guys have him ranked in the top 25, although 19, him starting at Kanny would be best for his development.

Also very high on Andrew Mitchell, this kid has late inning/closer potential with 2 plus pitches already. Just needs to figure out his command.

Players that I have different opinions about:

I think you guys bought into the media attention David Trexler got. Yes his numbers were good, but that was at Rookie Ball when he was 23 years old. Another guy similar to him but left handed, so could be more valuable is Ben Brewster, he flew through the system and ended up in WS before injury ended his season. He was doing very well too. So I wonder if he got some consideration from you guys.

If Peter or Fry isn't in the top 30, I think that's a mistake. Because I would definitely put them ahead of Recchia, Alvarez, and Wilkins on the list.

Overall, I don't have a problem with this list and think the depth is getting stronger as the years go on within the system. I can't wait for the season to come and both with the big club and to see how our prospects perform!

Thoughts on my thoughts? lol

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
My thoughts on the list:

I LOVE that Andre Wheeler is getting some love. He was dominant in Kannapolis last year, but I don't know why he wasn't getting promoted. With him entering the season at 23, and hopefully in Winston Salem, if he does well, I want him flying through the system if he performs. Real high on Wheeler.

Another guy I'm high on is Luis Martinez, love that you guys have him ranked in the top 25, although 19, him starting at Kanny would be best for his development.

Also very high on Andrew Mitchell, this kid has late inning/closer potential with 2 plus pitches already. Just needs to figure out his command.

I think you guys bought into the media attention David Trexler got. Yes his numbers were good, but that was at Rookie Ball when he was 23 years old. Another guy similar to him but left handed, so could be more valuable is Ben Brewster, he flew through the system and ended up in WS before injury ended his season. He was doing very well too. So I wonder if he got some consideration from you guys.

If Peter or Fry isn't in the top 30, I think that's a mistake. Because I would definitely put them ahead of Recchia, Alvarez, and Wilkins on the list.

Overall, I don't have a problem with this list and think the depth is getting stronger as the years go on within the system. I can't wait for the season to come and both with the big club and to see how our prospects perform!

Trexler's place on the list isn't about his numbers, though they were nice. He's now got a plus fastball running mid-90's with a lot of sink, and two offspeed pitches at least flashing plus. That coming from not one look, but two seperate looks from two national publications. Look at the other pitchers on the list. No one outside the Top 10 can say that, except maybe Ynoa (and he's got command issues and other factors to consider). That's a serious profile, age regardless. That's why he's there.

I don't want to get into detail about Peter and Fry, but will say that they are vastly different in terms of prospect value.

As for Mitchell, I just want to say, he's high potential but he doesn't just have some command issues. He's all over the place. Walking a batter an inning? 23 wild pitches? That's serious control problems, so he's not going to be super-high on many lists.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 12:40 PM)
My thoughts on the list:

Should have also added... Wheeler is going at age-appropriate to slightly older-than levels, but as we noted in the article, the guy is very raw. He wasn't focused on pitching until 2012. They won't want to rush him, at least not yet. Also worth noting, he needs to more gradually get his innings up - that's why he and Guerrero (who has similar needs) were in a tandem in A ball and were kept in that routine.

I have similar thoughts to NSS about Mitchell. Big time arms are nice, but you have to show some ability to maintain at least a shred of command or control to get anything more than a mention. I did have Mitchell in at 28. There's a lot to like about his tools, but you need more from his ability to actually pitch before we see him rise. If he develops command - that's not a small task, as there are many, many guys who flame out simply because they cannot do that - he could be a fast and/or big riser in the rankings, but until that point, it's wait and see.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 04:40 AM)
Thanks for doing this.

helps take us to Feb. 20.

oh man, i can't wait for the 1-15 list and write up.

the best part of this list is the write up for me. all the more info for my favorite baseball team.

pst.... btw i don't know if i mention this before but

Sox in 15