Vaccinations

bmags

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see if this gets passed / moved forward in California. Some of my least favorite politicians behind it but the message and the action is spot on. And as I've said, I think Jerry Brown, who I didn't like or vote for, has done a nice job and why he got my vote this past election (for actually working with repubs...despite obviously having the heavy majority in the state).

http://news.yahoo.com/california-lawmakers...-203726688.html

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
We'll see if this gets passed / moved forward in California. Some of my least favorite politicians behind it but the message and the action is spot on. And as I've said, I think Jerry Brown, who I didn't like or vote for, has done a nice job and why he got my vote this past election (for actually working with repubs...despite obviously having the heavy majority in the state).

http://news.yahoo.com/california-lawmakers...-203726688.html

They pretty much have to pass it. The state's been left with no choice. if it doesn't pass this round, then whenever the next big outbreak hits they'll have people holding up pictures of the dead kids and asking why.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/02/05/fiv...d-with-measles/

I would sue the pants off the parents responsible for this if they're found. Might be tough to prove causation, but i'd still try.

The day care / preschool my kids are/were in requires an annual certified form from a doctor that they have all vaccinations. And unlike a public school, they enforce it for all students except true medical reasons.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
The day care / preschool my kids are/were in requires an annual certified form from a doctor that they have all vaccinations. And unlike a public school, they enforce it for all students except true medical reasons.

I'm going to have to make a call to the day care / preschool we are going to be sending my daughter to starting this summer to see what their rules are (I know you have to provide documents but curious if they accept the "exemptions"). Somehow, given where I live and the fact that it is a montessori school, that it would be too bad for their business if they didn't accept those "exemption" kids but hopefully that isn't the case. In theory, I suppose I don't have much to worry about since my daughter is up to date on her vaccinations, but still.

QUOTE (SnB @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Is it just me or is the tide of public perception definitely turning on this subject over the past few weeks?

Yes, hopefully no infants die in order for that to have happened. Seems like people realized finally it isn't a "quirky, hippy" thing to do as much as it is incredibly dangerous and selfish.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 05:30 PM)
I'm doing a pro-con speech in my high school english class on vaccinations. Any suggestions? My stance will be pro-vaccinations and I have to refute all of the autism concerns

Good luck.

You've got the difficult side because BS is 100 times harder to refute than to spew. I'd expect your opponents to cite obscure, badly performed studies showing autism-vaccine links and unless you're familiar with those studies, you won't know their particular methodological problems.

Perhaps point out the Autism Omnibus Proceedings, where a huge group of people claiming their children got autism from MMR vaccine, were asked to provide their 3 best cases proving a causal link. They lost the trial, badly.

Also, keep hammering vaccine success stories like smallpox eradication, the downfall of polio, and huge drops in incidence for HiB, pertussis, measles, etc.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
Good luck.

You've got the difficult side because BS is 100 times harder to refute than to spew. I'd expect your opponents to cite obscure, badly performed studies showing autism-vaccine links and unless you're familiar with those studies, you won't know their particular methodological problems.

Perhaps point out the Autism Omnibus Proceedings, where a huge group of people claiming their children got autism from MMR vaccine, were asked to provide their 3 best cases proving a causal link. They lost the trial, badly.

Also, keep hammering vaccine success stories like smallpox eradication, the downfall of polio, and huge drops in incidence for HiB, pertussis, measles, etc.

Thanks, that's a good tip. I'll use that

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
I'm doing a pro-con speech in my high school english class on vaccinations. Any suggestions? My stance will be pro-vaccinations and I have to refute all of the autism concerns

The refutation of Andrew Wakefield's work is a good place to start. He was instrumental in the early "vaccines cause autism" crap.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
The refutation of Andrew Wakefield's work is a good place to start. He was instrumental in the early "vaccines cause autism" crap.

And all the arguments/studies against vaccination CONTINUE to lead back to the Wakefield study if you follow the trail of bulls***.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
And all the arguments/studies against vaccination CONTINUE to lead back to the Wakefield study if you follow the trail of bulls***.

Well, not all of them. JA will also need to cover bases like the thimerosal-autism hypothesis (omg mercury) and the ever-present "it wasn't the vaccines saving people, it was improved sanitation/nutrition!" nonsense where people confuse mortality with morbidity.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Well, not all of them. JA will also need to cover bases like the thimerosal-autism hypothesis (omg mercury) and the ever-present "it wasn't the vaccines saving people, it was improved sanitation/nutrition!" nonsense where people confuse mortality with morbidity.

Wrong kind of Murcury.

But yes, I understand your point. These are the same people that selectively ignore science when it doesn't mesh with their personal world-view. Such as the ever continuing trend of people saying GMO's are bad for you. When they're not. And it's been proven, over and over again.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)

Right, my teacher told me I should look him up. This is a good tip as well, thanks

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 11:30 AM)

If you've got time to watch a video, I strongly, strongly suggest watching this.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/vaccines...ling-shots.html

It will not only set you up with the good done by vaccines but it will give you a very good introduction to the counterpoints and how the science actually deals with them. "Yes this person got sick right after having the vaccine, but the vaccine set off a condition that is genetic and would have been triggered by something else had it not been the vaccine - in fact, that's why some people can't be vaccinated." "Yes, people did get polio from the vaccine for a time, but they switched vaccine formats based on the science to eliminate that". "Here's the basics of what we actually know about autism". ETc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
If you've got time to watch a video, I strongly, strongly suggest watching this.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/vaccines...ling-shots.html

It will not only set you up with the good done by vaccines but it will give you a very good introduction to the counterpoints and how the science actually deals with them. "Yes this person got sick right after having the vaccine, but the vaccine set off a condition that is genetic and would have been triggered by something else had it not been the vaccine - in fact, that's why some people can't be vaccinated." "Yes, people did get polio from the vaccine for a time, but they switched vaccine formats based on the science to eliminate that". "Here's the basics of what we actually know about autism". ETc.

That's a good link, thank you