Looking for a new Kitchen Stove/Range

iamshack

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 4, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Electric ovens are better (more consistent temperature), which is why many (all?) of the higher end ranges are dual fuel. On the stove top side, though, you don't have that instant temperature control that you get with gas or induction.

I've found that the instant temp control just hasn't been as big of a deal as I once thought. You learn to adapt. If I had my choice I would go gas, but it isn't as bad of a trade off as was mentioned.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 5, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
It depends on what you're cooking and how important temp control is.

The temp control is very solid on the new electrics. Where gas has it beat is when you need to raise or lower the temp in a hurry. The old coils were not very good at that. The newer technology is better, but still not the same as gas. But for consistent, one temp cooking over time, electric has been fine.

So it looks like at this point we are going to refinance and pull some cash out and redo the entire kitchen. Should be "interesting."

I'm also in the midst of shopping for a home for my parents, who have decided to take the plunge and move out to Las Vegas. I think this winter pretty much did them in. That and a new grandson on the way.

Exciting times around these parts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 08:59 PM)
So it looks like at this point we are going to refinance and pull some cash out and redo the entire kitchen. Should be "interesting."

I'm also in the midst of shopping for a home for my parents, who have decided to take the plunge and move out to Las Vegas. I think this winter pretty much did them in. That and a new grandson on the way.

Exciting times around these parts.

Grandkids are quite the impetus. One of my best friends grew up in Schaumburg, and her parents bought a fixer upper in wisconsin. This was their retirement property, they slowly redid the entire house from the time she was 9 through college, and they retired shortly after she graduated in 01 and sold their schaumburg home and moved there.

Her and her brother both moved to Colorado, both had kids, and the parents sold that Wisconsin with the quickness and moved to Colorado.

Shack, we have bosch appliances. My friend used to work for Bosch, which allowed me to get it at like 80% off, haha, but really like it. Nothing super fancy, basically stainless steel 5 burner gas oven and range, above hood stainless microwave and than the dishwasher (which is unbelievable).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:14 AM)
Shack, we have bosch appliances. My friend used to work for Bosch, which allowed me to get it at like 80% off, haha, but really like it. Nothing super fancy, basically stainless steel 5 burner gas oven and range, above hood stainless microwave and than the dishwasher (which is unbelievable).

I like Bosch too...ultimately, we'll have to work with a contractor to determine what options are available as far as the overall remodel, and see how much we can set aside for appliances. That will ultimately determine which direction we go. I would really like to splurge a bit on the range, but we'll see.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
I like Bosch too...ultimately, we'll have to work with a contractor to determine what options are available as far as the overall remodel, and see how much we can set aside for appliances. That will ultimately determine which direction we go. I would really like to splurge a bit on the range, but we'll see.

If I were to tell you to get one thing from Bosch, it would be the diswasher. Cleans like a million bucks and is so damn quiet. On a sidenote, my dad just got a Viking set (stove, oven and microwave...I think it was about 4K after contractors discounts, etc) and hates them (in fact he's in process of returning them). Says they are the biggest pieces of junk he's ever owned (he was upgrading from 15 year old JennAir or GE appliances).

Like I said, I got lucky, mine was about $1K for all 3 after my discount, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
If I were to tell you to get one thing from Bosch, it would be the diswasher. Cleans like a million bucks and is so damn quiet. On a sidenote, my dad just got a Viking set (stove, oven and microwave...I think it was about 4K after contractors discounts, etc) and hates them (in fact he's in process of returning them). Says they are the biggest pieces of junk he's ever owned (he was upgrading from 15 year old JennAir or GE appliances).

He doesnt like the Viking? What was wrong with them?

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
He doesnt like the Viking? What was wrong with them?

It is the oven. It doesn't heat properly. Repair guy has been out like 3 seperate times and tells him how it is a pretty common problem and recommended that he returned them and get another brand, haha. No issues with the stove or the other stuff. To be frank, I would think it would be hard to screw up a stove, as long as the gas works and has a clean burn and you are okay with the looks, I can't imagine major differences in performance (obviously you want whatever specs you want in terms of burner size, oven size, btu's, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)

I have a Bosch dishwasher and you are right, it cleans well and is as quiet as can be. My problem is the repair guy has to come out every few months. Seriously, we called service 5 times the first 2 years we had it.

Bosch are consistently rated very highly, they're just really good machines for appliances.

Also I love supporting their business model. It's a for-profit business but they treat their employees extremely well, and the profits virtually all go into a foundation they use for charitable spending. Very unusual for a large business like that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 01:06 AM)
Man I would love a grill section on the stove for during the winter months, not sure how well they actually work but it sounds great to me.

You would need a super awesome hood for it, but it would be unreal to have that. Luckily its back to grilling season and we can forget about how awful its been.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 01:06 AM)
Man I would love a grill section on the stove for during the winter months, not sure how well they actually work but it sounds great to me.

My brother has one in his condo that he lives in 3 weeks a year about a block from my place. It is pretty sweet.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
Has anyone bought one of the package deals Abt and other stores sell? I can't tell if they're good deals or if they throw in some junk dishwasher or stove to make the deal better for them.

My co-worker did recently, he was pretty happy.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 10:01 AM)
Has anyone bought one of the package deals Abt and other stores sell? I can't tell if they're good deals or if they throw in some junk dishwasher or stove to make the deal better for them.

I don't know about those package deals, but I was surprised to find how much leeway the sales guys have in changing the price. When they enter an order, they can just freely lower the price if they so choose.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 01:07 PM)
My Frigidaire professional dishwasher is whisper quiet.

How many dBs is it??? The Whirlpool we bought for our new kitchen was 46. The sounds it makes (or doesn't make) turned out to be one of the largest factors in price I found.

• 4 months later...

Do you tip appliance delivery guys? What says you Soxtalk?

We are having a whole kitchen of appliances delivered tomorrow, but they are only getting put into the corner of the front room for now, so no real extra work needed. Would you tip them? How much?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Do you tip appliance delivery guys? What says you Soxtalk?

We are having a whole kitchen of appliances delivered tomorrow, but they are only getting put into the corner of the front room for now, so no real extra work needed. Would you tip them? How much?

The delivery guys aren't using their own gas, vehicle, or getting paid a lower rate like a waiter.

I don't think that you need to tip them.