2015 MLB Catch-All Thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
Houston demotes Jon Singleton to AAA. That's why you can't criticize players for taking team friendly deals when real young. He could never make the majors again but will still be a heck of a lot richer had he not taken his deal.

yeah but you can criticize his agent for not putting in a clause of some sort to protect him, in case of something like this or how the marlin owners screwed Mark B.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 11:39 PM)
yeah but you can criticize his agent for not putting in a clause of some sort to protect him, in case of something like this or how the marlin owners screwed Mark B.

Protect him from what? His agent got him $10 million if he never makes the majors again. If he was a career minor leaguer, what would he make? Less than a million total?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 04:51 AM)
Protect him from what? His agent got him $10 million if he never makes the majors again. If he was a career minor leaguer, what would he make? Less than a million total?

true, and i admit i misread what you wrote originally. i was referring to 2 way contracts.

Major League Baseball announced on Friday that Josh Hamilton will not be suspended.

The arbitrator has ruled that Hamilton did not violate baseball's drug policy when he relapsed, so commissioner Rob Manfred has no authority to suspend him. Manfred said he disagreed with the decision, but it doesn't matter at this point. The Angels will now have to pay Hamilton his full $23 million salary for 2015. The outfielder is working his way back from shoulder surgery and is expected to miss the first month of the season.

Source: Mike DiGiovanna on Twitter

Do not get this at all he admitted drug use and gets off scott free?

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
Major League Baseball announced on Friday that Josh Hamilton will not be suspended.

The arbitrator has ruled that Hamilton did not violate baseball's drug policy when he relapsed, so commissioner Rob Manfred has no authority to suspend him. Manfred said he disagreed with the decision, but it doesn't matter at this point. The Angels will now have to pay Hamilton his full $23 million salary for 2015. The outfielder is working his way back from shoulder surgery and is expected to miss the first month of the season.

Source: Mike DiGiovanna on Twitter

Do not get this at all he admitted drug use and gets off scott free?

I am guessing the technicality is that they need a positive test, and they didn't get one.

Ervin Santana has been suspended 80 games by Major League Baseball for testing positive for Stanozolol.

Santana just signed a four-year, $55 million contract with the Twins over the offseason and will now miss the first half of his first season with the club. He won't be paid while suspended, so the Twins will at least get $6.75 million of that money back. It's obviously a big blow to a Twins team that was already looking like a likely last-place finish in the AL Central. Mike Pelfrey will replace Ervin Santana in the rotation.

Source: MLB PR on Twitter

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
I am guessing the technicality is that they need a positive test, and they didn't get one.

That is a good point.............I see the Angels are furious he was not suspended.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
That is a good point.............I see the Angels are furious he was not suspended.

They have to pay him the ridiculous money they gave him. They should be mad at themselves.

Going to AZ this weekend to see my parents. My dad and I are going to go to AZ/Dodgers either Sat or Sunday. Can't figure out which one Kershaw will pitch. Ryu is hurt so they could skip him and CK will go Sat, but if they use someone else, CK goes Sunday. Want to know before I get tix.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
They have to pay him the ridiculous money they gave him. They should be mad at themselves.

Actually seems like there's a deeper issue here.

If the Angels wanted to write something into his contract about "drug abuse relapses" they probably would not have been allowed to do so because drug abuse is covered by the drug testing agreement with the union.

The Angels probably had no legal way to cover themselves in the event of a drug use relapse by Hamilton other than the agreed upon program. While giving that contract out they had to trust that if he did have a relapse that impacted his performance it would be dealt with by the suspensions as spelled out in that program. They likely took that into account when assessing the risk of that contract.

Now that suspension that they expected in the case of the drug program is not happening. That means what they believed would happen when they assessed the risk in that contract is incorrect and that contract became riskier than they thought when they signed it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
Actually seems like there's a deeper issue here.

If the Angels wanted to write something into his contract about "drug abuse relapses" they probably would not have been allowed to do so because drug abuse is covered by the drug testing agreement with the union.

The Angels probably had no legal way to cover themselves in the event of a drug use relapse by Hamilton other than the agreed upon program. While giving that contract out they had to trust that if he did have a relapse that impacted his performance it would be dealt with by the suspensions as spelled out in that program. They likely took that into account when assessing the risk of that contract.

Now that suspension that they expected in the case of the drug program is not happening. That means what they believed would happen when they assessed the risk in that contract is incorrect and that contract became riskier than they thought when they signed it.

Ah ha, good point.

Its bad karma with all those huge contracts they dished out to everyone that would take it.