2015 MLB Catch-All Thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
How come so many former Sox position players do well when we get rid of them? Rios, DeAza, Semien, etc. Makes me wonder why nobody will pick up Viciedo. Is he still on the market after Toronto cut him? p.s. Phegley is 4-for-9 this season.

My guess is it has more to do with selective memory than anything else. The guy who was no good for us and then we get rid of is easily forgotten if he doesn't do anything else the rest of his career

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
How come so many former Sox position players do well when we get rid of them? Rios, DeAza, Semien, etc. Makes me wonder why nobody will pick up Viciedo. Is he still on the market after Toronto cut him? p.s. Phegley is 4-for-9 this season.

Rios wasn't any better in Texas than he was in Chicago and he hit 4 home runs total in 2014.

With Semien, sometimes you have to give up talent to get talent, no huge surprise there.

ADA started out well in Chicago too, until all the mental mistakes seemed to derail his game. He hasn't had enough time in Baltimore to let that happen again, only time will tell.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 13, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
My guess is it has more to do with selective memory than anything else. The guy who was no good for us and then we get rid of is easily forgotten if he doesn't do anything else the rest of his career

100% this. There's no data to back up that everybody is good after they leave the Sox and I bet it's completely random. "How come so many former Sox position players do well when we get rid of them?" Because the Sox, like all teams, get rid of a lot of guys and some of them are bound to perform well. The very posing of the question after six games of numbers is absurd, not to mention citing Rios, who had a full year where his production turned sharply downwards before his hot week with the Royals.

Chirs Getz is one guy who never did anything after the Sox jettisoned him. Joe Borchard. Scott Podsednik had a late career revival with the Sox before fading away for other teams. AJ Pierzynski has steadily declined. It's easy to come up with similar examples if you think about it for thirty seconds.

QUOTE (OnlyGillis @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 11:16 PM)
Tonight Boston scored 3 in the 7th inning on no hits, 3 errors, 2 HBPs, and a brain fart by Desmond when he was on the infield grass and threw to first with a runner halfway between third and home ... which happened to be the winning run. :o

Going from All-Star to garbage in a hurry....that is six errors already. Anemic at the plate, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
I have Devin Mesoraco, David Wright, Anthony Rendon, Christian Yelich, Xander Boegarts, and Homer Bailey on my fantasy team, and all of them are hurt. Unbelievable. My keeper money league too.......

I have the first two. It does suck...

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 15, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
TCQ?

The Carlos Quentin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Quentin

White Sox fans bestowed the nickname "TCQ," standing for "The Carlos Quentin." The name originated from a quote from GM Ken Williams after he acquired Quentin. He said, "We wanted to upgrade at shortstop, get a setup guy for the bullpen, acquire Carlos Quentin, and not a guy like him but actually Carlos Quentin."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 17m17 minutes ago

#Nationals Craig Stammen has a torn flexor in his elbow and will require surgery. Doubtful for the rest of the season.

I wonder if it's the tendon in the forearm or the insertion near the elbow. Odds are it's at the insertion near the elbow. That's a really odd injury. It will be really difficult to repair and rehab.