Sox sign Eaton to 5 yr contract, $23.5 mil

Whisox05

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)
All you have to do is look at the Jacoby Ellsbury and Hunter PEnce deals to understand why. Granted he doesn't have as much power, but at the same time, contracts are only going up from here. By the time Eaton were to hit FA in 2018, $20 million a year probably won't be out of line for a guy of his skill set. We are getting his entire contract of 7 years for $43 milion, including two free agent years covered for under $20 million if exercised. $1.5 million if not.

That"s the thing. They get 5 years minimun of Eaton for what one season costs for Jon Lester. And you get 2 club options, and 6 or 7 years from now $10 million a year is going to be less than what it is now. There is a bit of a gamble here for the White Sox, but they hardly are way out there.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to feel bad for these guys on these amazingly club-friendly deals :lol: .

While I understand what y'all are saying about seeing what Avi can do this season, I think now is the time to strike a deal with him. I think he's going to be a very impactful player and if he plays like I expect him to this season, it's going to be costly to pay him.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
I'm starting to feel bad for these guys on these amazingly club-friendly deals :lol: .

While I understand what y'all are saying about seeing what Avi can do this season, I think now is the time to strike a deal with him. I think he's going to be a very impactful player and if he plays like I expect him to this season, it's going to be costly to pay him.

I don't know that you can feel bad for Adam Eaton. The White Sox just gave him $25 million over the next five years... no matter what.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)

I think you'll see them move to lock up Avi as early as midseason, IF he shows the growth and maturity we want to see.

I also think we should trust RH's sense of timing on these matters - he seems to know when is the right time.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
Honestly, there's almost no risk to this deal. Up until that last year and the two options, Eaton is basically being paid high-end backup money. IMO, this may be Hahn's best extension yet.

Nah, that's still Sale without a doubt. This is a good move though. I wanted the Sox to wait one more year on Eaton because of health, but for this price it's difficult to complain.

Also love this MO of the double team option years. Really adds a lot to the potential value of these contracts.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
Nah, that's still Sale without a doubt. This is a good move though. I wanted the Sox to wait one more year on Eaton because of health, but for this price it's difficult to complain.

Also love this MO of the double team option years. Really adds a lot to the potential value of these contracts.

Just reviewed the Sale contract and you're right. For some reason I thought his two option years were quite expensive but I was wrong. The last option is only $13.5M, which is beyond ridiculous.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 21, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
Just reviewed the Sale contract and you're right. For some reason I thought his two option years were quite expensive but I was wrong. The last option is only $13.5M, which is beyond ridiculous.

It's a silly good contract. Obviously, Sale's health is a potential concern, but Hahn managed to capitalize on that perception and sign him to a team friendly contract.

I heard an interview with Eaton where he talked about it being an intense ~three weeks of negotiations and how he felt very stressed by it, struggling to sleep, etc. What that tells me is that Hahn got in there and convinced Eaton and his agent that he needed to sign a deal right now. That's impressive. Once you've got the guy where he feels like he needs to walk away with a deal, you've won. He may have been able to double his money by waiting for the offseason, potentially, or at least he should have been able to walk away from the negotiating table with that in mind. I don't think he had that in mind.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 04:25 PM)
I like Eaton a lot. He does a lot of things right on the baseball field. Now he just needs to stay on the baseball field and keep developing!!!

i too like him, i think there is really not too many who dislikes him. for me, he brings that old school kind of a player.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 04:21 PM)
Right, but that's the risk of any contract extension. I think his injury risk is definitely reflected in the price, considering the guy already has two full years of service time.

Which is why I think it is a pretty even deal. The risks are pretty high with Eaton so that brought the price for the Sox down to a reasonable level.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
It'll be interesting to see what we do with the outfield after this season, especially if Hawkins looks primed for a ML role at some point in 2016.

It is a problem I hope we have, because it means a lot of people are succeeding.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
It'll be interesting to see what we do with the outfield after this season, especially if Hawkins looks primed for a ML role at some point in 2016.

I'm guessing Hawkins is more 2017, if he makes it. He's still just 21 years old, would be 23 for the entire 2017 season. And he has showed he's still quite raw.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 05:29 PM)

well, as some has said, it is a nice position to be in, this season, after the playoff, i would like to reevaluate the outfield. the sox are tied into a friendly contract with Melky, and the other 2 the sox have control. continue to let Hawkins develop. the sox really doesn't have to make a move in the roster, concerning OF, 1b or dh till after next yr. so, let see how things develop and see how Avi does in the outfield.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 07:24 AM)
well, as some has said, it is a nice position to be in, this season, after the playoff, i would like to reevaluate the outfield. the sox are tied into a friendly contract with Melky, and the other 2 the sox have control. continue to let Hawkins develop. the sox really doesn't have to make a move in the roster, concerning OF, 1b or dh till after next yr. so, let see how things develop and see how Avi does in the outfield.

If all 3 of them are playing well and Hawkins were to have a good year at AA, you send him to AAA and he's the obvious callup in case of injury. That's not a bad thing at all and that would likely give him a chance at some point the next eyar.