Samardzija said he's not looking for "top dollar'' in

southsider2k5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
i like it, a nice subtle aggressive statement of not letting him walk.

They can throw in some perks like a luxury box for his family and s*** so they can attend the games. They probably won't get a "hometown discount" but they can offer some amenities nobody else can just due to his family being in the area. If they are offering a couple million less than the best offer that might put them over the top.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)
They can throw in some perks like a luxury box for his family and s*** so they can attend the games. They probably won't get a "hometown discount" but they can offer some amenities nobody else can just due to his family being in the area. If they are offering a couple million less than the best offer that put them over the top.

i am all in for Robin V washing his car weekly

:drink

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 02:55 PM)
Absolutely agree Dick. JS has made it clear since last summer that going to FA is his goal and is looking forward to it. This is Jeff's one chance of getting that big payday contract so anyone thinking JS will pass on that due to his White Sox fandom is delusional and ignoring everything he has said over the last year or so. I did not like the idea of trading for JS to begin with, even before the trade, but I give him credit for being consistent with his words. If an extension never happens, fans have nobody to blame but their self for getting their hopes up in the first place.

You nailed it. Samardzija is a professional baseball player. He's not a fan anymore. He plays for the team that pays him and the money and opportunity to win is what will land him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 04:08 AM)
Does that mean Reinsdorf is changing his policy against signing older pitchers to big long term deals? If not, he is walking away.

i don't know if their is a good enuf excuse to sign him. this system / minors system that the sox have, is on the cusp of exploding with good to great prospects in pitching. there is so many spots available for these pitchers.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
Maybe, but I think the Shark FA deal will dwarf the Danks and Buehrle contracts, and I believe those are the only two big ones the Sox haven't recently signed.

If this was still a thing, they would have never traded for the guy in the first place.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 31, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)
You nailed it. Samardzija is a professional baseball player. He's not a fan anymore. He plays for the team that pays him and the money and opportunity to win is what will land him.

I think another thing to consider is JS will be 31 by the time he starts his first season under his new 5-6 year contract that will likely pay him around 20M per year. IMO, he ends up signing elsewhere after the season. I think the Sox will be contenders so trading him is not an option either. These are the reasons why I was against the idea of trading for him in the first place. JR and Hahn could very well prove me wrong but this does not sound like a typical Sox move.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
If this was still a thing, they would have never traded for the guy in the first place.

in my opinion, this is a win / win situation. if Jeff signs and a friendly contract, and help the team in the playoff, fine. if he doesn't sign, still does ok, it will strengthen his position and another team signs him, it is still a win, the sox get a comp pick, and his performance in the playoff. a nice win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
It takes two to sign a deal. At this point the White Sox are willing and Jeff isn't. I do think that will change in due time.

Is Jeff not willing or has he not been offered enough money yet? I lean towards the latter.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...agent/70854296/

The White Sox would love to convince Samardzija, who's eligible for free agency in November, into making Chicago his permanent home. They talked this spring, but he told them he prefers to wait before engaging in any serious long-term discussions.

"I'm the type of guy that if something is going to get done,'' Samardzija says, "it will get done in five minutes. It's about performing for the team, and when you prove it on the field, then everything else will fall in line.''

The Cubs, of course, wanted Samardzija to stay too. They made several contract proposals, but never came close, remaining at least $20 million apart on their last five-year deal.

Samardzija refuses to tip his hand where he wants to finish his career, but playing on the South Side, he says, is rather refreshing.

No more questions about Wrigley Field. No more thoughts about the rooftops. No more opinions on the Cubs' rebuilding project.

"Look, I'm not a professional engineer,'' he said. "I'm not an alderman. I'm a baseball player. All I want to talk about is the game, and not all the other riff-raff.

"It's all baseball here. It's what the White Sox are known for, just a bunch of dirt-balls who love to play the game, and get down and dirty.''

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)

Surprised there are no Eaton, Aaron Rowand, Jake Peavy or Kenny Williams quotes about "Sox Tough/blue collar/lunch pail" stuff.

I guess Abreu's now the prime example of humility, with his "Puritan" work ethic and lack of interest in seeking the limelight or attention like Puig, Moncada and Cespedes.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
This seems like it's just a matter of time before its done. May be the offseason but I think it'll get done.

If both sides are happy late July after trade deadline it will get done.

I want to give him at least half the year to really show he's worth that $$$. I know it's just spring but he left the ball up a lot and had too many bad innings for my taste. I'm sure after a few good starts to start the year, I'll come around.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)
Mutual agreement it's a bit early. They have a very good relationship. The discussions aren't going to just end.

Are they offering him anywhere near market value? I would think that's why they haven't agreed yet, but of course I could be wrong.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 10:50 PM)
Are they offering him anywhere near market value? I would think that's why they haven't agreed yet, but of course I could be wrong.

No clue but I know the mutual interest is extremely high. Like if this was college he may have committed already.