MLB Franchise Four

Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 06:42 AM)
Because he is one of the greatest players of all time? Just a wild guess.

Seems pretty hypocritical.

If they're going to do that, then A-Rod should be there as well.

How can you glorify Bonds when he's unlikely to ever make the HoF?

Notice, they also don't have Roger Clemens, for example.

If it's the thin/skinny 80's/early 90's Pirates' version of Bonds, he's a HoF guy but maybe not on the first ballot.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas is a lock, modern and great stats. I will be shocked if a banned player would make any MLB or team sanctioned list. So no Joe. I'd love to see Minnie for his all-time contribution to the team. After that there is a fine list that I would be happy seeing any two on.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 07:42 AM)
Because he is one of the greatest players of all time? Just a wild guess.

I'm of the camp that sadly we will never know how great he would have been if he was honest. Including him in the greatest of all time disrespects guys like Thomas who didn't cheat.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
But I'm sure the SF Giants fans will put him in their Franchise Four.

Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Bonds, Sandoval, Will Clark, Orlando Cepeda, maybe Jeff Kent (although everyone hated that dude)....Lincecum and Bumgarner will get some consideration as well.

Probably. However, I could see MLB dictating that they do not. Same with Pete Rose for example.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
But I'm sure the SF Giants fans will put him in their Franchise Four.

Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Bonds, Sandoval, Will Clark, Orlando Cepeda, maybe Jeff Kent (although everyone hated that dude)....Lincecum and Bumgarner will get some consideration as well.

The only ones in the discussion for the Giants would be Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Cepeda, Bonds.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...four-al-central

Dave Schoenfeld picks Franchise Four for the AL Central teams.

Amazing Miggy Cabrera still isn't on the Tigers' list, but they have a long history...plus his time with the Marlins. And Walter Johnson seems so weird with all the modern-day Twins' names...Johan Santana didn't quite make the cut either, or Joe Mauer.

For Sox, it's Thomas, Appling, Baines and Fox (over Aparicio)....Collins didn't have enough time with Chicago, more closely connected with the Philadephia A's.

Didn't realize Faber and Lyons were so high on the career WAR, and Wilbur Wood, for that matter.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
I have always been a huge Baines fan. His class and professionalism was always top tier. I wish injuries hadn't shortened his career.

Most definitely. I still believe that he could have been an HOF and one of the best players of that generation without that knee injury. It didn't just shorten his career but really limited his hitting and play in the field for more than half of his career.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
Most definitely. I still believe that he could have been an HOF and one of the best players of that generation without that knee injury. It didn't just shorten his career but really limited his hitting and play in the field for more than half of his career.

Dude was a great RF, and had a cannon for an arm. Any HOF would have a lot more love if he had played in the OF for more years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2015 -> 06:35 PM)

Amazing Miggy Cabrera still isn't on the Tigers' list, but they have a long history...plus his time with the Marlins. And Walter Johnson seems so weird with all the modern-day Twins' names...Johan Santana didn't quite make the cut either, or Joe Mauer.

For Sox, it's Thomas, Appling, Baines and Fox (over Aparicio)....Collins didn't have enough time with Chicago, more closely connected with the Philadephia A's.

Didn't realize Faber and Lyons were so high on the career WAR, and Wilbur Wood, for that matter.

Collins played 500 more games and had more hits, runs, 2Bs, 3Bs, HRs, RBIs, BBs and WAR with the Sox than the A's. He played 1670 games with the Sox, which interestingly enough is the exact same number as Baines played with the Sox yet he accumulated more than double the WAR of Baines. I just can't see Baines being more worthy than Collins.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
Obviously injuries affected his career, but shortened? The guy is in the top twenty of all-time games played!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 22, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)

I sit corrected. Poor word choice by the English teacher. :lol:

Collins and Baines appeared in exactly the same number of games for the Sox. Collins managed a better OPS than Baines while playing a more difficult position.