Attendance 2015

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 09:30 AM)
I've been to a couple games this season. When the crowd isn't going to be at least 25k, I don't think they even check for upper deck seats if you want to go to the lower level.

How did I miss Geddy Lee attending multiple Sox games this year. :(

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
The real Geddy actually did attend a Sox game in 2013. He was sitting behind the Sox dugout in the front row. Steve Stone mentioned him.

He's a baseball nut.

Yea, I know, he's attended a few from my recollection.

Baseball aside, I can't wait to see Rush this June.

Being an STH in the upper deck (front row 536), I personally think it's quite good. Really the only things that are bad are that it is set further back from the field than at the old ballpark (side effect of making sure everyone has good sightlines in the LD), and that the higher rows are kinda painful to get to.

Value-wise it's fantastic. Our seat prices are half what they would be in a decent LD non-outfield location, and we have no one in front of us.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
Being an STH in the upper deck (front row 536), I personally think it's quite good. Really the only things that are bad are that it is set further back from the field than at the old ballpark (side effect of making sure everyone has good sightlines in the LD), and that the higher rows are kinda painful to get to.

Value-wise it's fantastic. Our seat prices are half what they would be in a decent LD non-outfield location, and we have no one in front of us.

with all the bull crap that the owners have received, esp from me this yr only, i was always a big backer of them, the owners always insisted on making sox park a family place.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
I think the biggest problem with the White Sox upper deck, and the entrance you mentioned would have been better, but the complaining would have still occurred, is the fans were used to the upper deck at the old park, which was probably club level high at most. That started the snowball rolling, and it has never stopped, and I don't think ever will.

The fact is many if not most upper deck seats pretty much suck in most parks in baseball. There are seats just as bad as the bad seats at USCF in each park.

I have often wondered, had the park been built in the direction facing downtown, by which in almost every seat in the upper deck you'd get the most spectacular view of the city's beautiful skyline, if any of this negative stigma with the UD would have ever developed. Think of the view you get to see when walking down the ramp of gate 3 (I think it's gate 3) after a ballgame. It's pretty awesome given the park's location in relation to downtown. Maybe you'd still have some complaints about the steepness here and there, but I really think people would have been far more forgiving of the flaws in the deck's construct if they had that view of the city to gaze upon any time they sat up there.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
I have often wondered, had the park been built in the direction facing downtown, by which in almost every seat in the upper deck you'd get the most spectacular view of the city's beautiful skyline, if any of this negative stigma with the UD would have ever developed. Think of the view you get to see when walking down the ramp of gate 3 (I think it's gate 3) after a ballgame. It's pretty awesome given the park's location in relation to downtown. Maybe you'd still have some complaints about the steepness here and there, but I really think people would have been far more forgiving of the flaws in the deck's construct if they had that view of the city to gaze upon any time they sat up there.

I have no issue sitting in the upper deck regardless, but for the casual fan, I honestly believe simply having a night time view of the skyline would give those seats a better chance of being filled.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
I have no issue sitting in the upper deck regardless, but for the casual fan, I honestly believe simply having a night time view of the skyline would give those seats a better chance of being filled.

at comiskey there was as beautiful view of the skyline. About the only time I looked at it was during batting practice ... seems like the only time ZI noticed it was when one of our great hitters was hitting roof shots during batting practice. Watching bating practice was worth the price of admission. MLB player's union cut the home team's bating practice out.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)

at comiskey there was as beautiful view of the skyline. About the only time I looked at it was during batting practice ... seems like the only time ZI noticed it was when one of our great hitters was hitting roof shots during batting practice. Watching bating practice was worth the price of admission. MLB player's union cut the home team's bating practice out.

dang, it is a bite getting old. but if my memory is right, they asked the question of the skyline to, i honestly think it was Eddie Eihorn (sp), who was the spoke person for the owners group and he said it was b/c the sun. the going down and the sun in the eyes of the players during day games.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
dang, it is a bite getting old. but if my memory is right, they asked the question of the skyline to, i honestly think it was Eddie Eihorn (sp), who was the spoke person for the owners group and he said it was b/c the sun. the going down and the sun in the eyes of the players during day games.

If he said that, it is a lie.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)

Listening to all of the complaints that Sox fans have had over there years, including my personal favorite that the seats were the wrong color, they would have complained anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 02:18 PM)
Listening to all of the complaints that Sox fans have had over there years, including my personal favorite that the seats were the wrong color, they would have complained anyway.

But that doesn't render ALL complaints invalid. I do think they got some things wrong, some of which they fixed during the 2004-2007 renovations. And I think it's valid to ask why they pointed the stadium that way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)

Mr. Reinsdorf said the exact same thing to me way back in '96 or '97 (I can't remember which year) at a season tickets holders get-together in the Bullpen Sports Bar right after the end of the season. I asked him why they didn't point the stadium in the direction of downtown, and he, too, said it was because of the sun. That answer, of course, never made sense to me, given that the old park faced that direction for 80 years.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 02:35 PM)
Mr. Reinsdorf said the exact same thing to me way back in '96 or '97 (I can't remember which year) at a season tickets holders get-together in the Bullpen Sports Bar right after the end of the season. I asked him why they didn't point the stadium in the direction of downtown, and he, too, said it was because of the sun. That answer, of course, never made sense to me, given that the old park faced that direction for 80 years.

I wonder if they look at LF from about 4 pm to 8pm during the summer.

I believe most major league parks face NE.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 07:40 PM)

as you said, if and a lie .... thanks for the courtesy of the situation being right.

i have wondered why the sun... i still ponder that answer. i thought that maybe he wanted to give his players, the home team the advantage, esp in day games, of having the sun in the outfielder's eyes.

that still puzzles me.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
I seem to remember that it was positioned the way it is because of the wind currents.

I had thought it was construction related because of it going up at the same time as the old park, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. In any case it didn't sound like a total prevention but more of a keeping costs down move.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
I would have loved for them to have put a retractable roof on the Cell. I would sure be more inclined to go to an April game or buy April tickets ahead of time if I know we have a roof that can close.

that would be SWEET!!!

I wonder if they look at LF from about 4 pm to 8pm during the summer.

I believe most major league parks face NE.

I looked up all the open air/retractable roof parks:

(14) Face NE (or NNE or ENE): Fenway, Yankee, Oriole, Kauffman, Safeco, O.co, Angel, Citi, Turner, Nationals, Wrigley, Busch, AT&T, Dodger

(8) Face SE (or SSE or ESE): Rogers, US Cellular, Comerica, Globe Life, Marlins, PNC, Great American, Miller

(6) Face N: Progressive, MinuteMaid, Citizens Bank, Coors, Chase, Petco

(1) Face E: Target

A NE-facing park gets the setting sun in the face of most of your fielders. A SE-facing park affects LF severely but not RF/CF as much. The north-facing parks seem like they might have the least impact. Clearly teams have avoided anything in the NW/W/SW/S range to avoid affecting the hitters.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 23, 2015 -> 09:01 PM)
I had thought it was construction related because of it going up at the same time as the old park, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. In any case it didn't sound like a total prevention but more of a keeping costs down move.

this is a great walk down memory lane.... too bad we can't have someone ask the org for an answer. like an unknown trivia question.

Edited by LDF