Attendance 2015

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 07:57 PM)
You know its a sad state of affairs when we are shooting for just 20K!!

when the game is in april, yes, when the wx warm up in may, it all depends of the performance of the team. as of right now, i predict the attendance will be in the 25k if not better.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
It always amazes me how a cheap blanket draws people. Make up games usually are not well attended. Whatever blankets they have leftover in game 1 they will probably give away game 2. A blanket in July. I hope it's 98 degrees.

There will be no blankets left. I'm willing to put money on it.

Especially after the sox started letting people come in and out for multiple SGA items.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)

Especially after the sox started letting people come in and out for multiple SGA items.

I showed up 5 minutes before the game last year and got a Tony LaRussa bobblehead. They had so many left over, they gave some away this past Sunday for checking in with the MLB Ballpark app.

But I do agree, free sells. I really don't know what I would do with a Jose Abreu blanket. Ebay seems nice.

I did sell the gumball machine championship ring they gave away in 2006 on ebay for $300. I thought when they received it, they would be pissed, but the lady contacted me and told me she was so happy.

When I was a kid, I went to a game with my dad on umbrella night. Sure enough, it did rain.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
I showed up 5 minutes before the game last year and got a Tony LaRussa bobblehead. They had so many left over, they gave some away this past Sunday for checking in with the MLB Ballpark app.

But I do agree, free sells. I really don't know what I would do with a Jose Abreu blanket. Ebay seems nice.

I did sell the gumball machine championship ring they gave away in 2006 on ebay for $300. I thought when they received it, they would be pissed, but the lady contacted me and told me she was so happy.

When I was a kid, I went to a game with my dad on umbrella night. Sure enough, it did rain.

They always make more of the items than given out.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
Operative word: "supposedly". I believe that rumor was from way back in season 1 of the "new Comiskey Park". If memory serves me correctly, someone called the Jonathan Brandmeier show and merely said it happened, but obviously with no evidence to back it up. It was quickly debunked and dismissed by the team, and the story pretty much ended at that.

I think you better look that up. It wasn't just a made-up story.

I totally remember the nightly news reporting that bullet holes were found in some seats in the new Comiskey Park. And if my memory is perfect, it happened while the stadium was still under construction before the season started. The shots were believed to have come from the Robert Taylor homes on the other side of the highway. Thank God those projects are now gone and the set from Escape From New York isn't there anymore.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)

They stopped that last year. You can't leave until after 1st pitch. I ate a bunch of $7 seats to get multiple bobbles.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)

Perception of value. A "free" item makes ya think you are getting something extra. They make TONS of extra giveaways. It is never the number they announce. I am willing to bet it is double. They send out everything to the season ticket holders and account for breakage.

I like that ring too. I also like that a fellow Sox fan in Cali gave me one.

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
They stopped that last year. You can't leave until after 1st pitch. I ate a bunch of $7 seats to get multiple bobbles.

They will let you re-enter as long as you have more than one ticket. They closed the loophole for the team store and bar. I had 13 tickets for konerko card day last year. Walked in 13 times and got 13 cards

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
They will let you re-enter as long as you have more than one ticket. They closed the loophole for the team store and bar. I had 13 tickets for konerko card day last year. Walked in 13 times and got 13 cards

So uh...

Why?

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ May 1, 2015 -> 07:36 AM)
So uh...

Why?

I don't get it either. The promos always say first 20,000 fans or whatever, not first 20,000 tickets scanned. It always irks me to see on a bobblehead day some grown man with a garbage bag filled with 20 of them while kids coming through the gate get none.

As long as they are talking loopholes, that's one I wouldn't mind being closed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2015 -> 07:38 AM)
I don't get it either. The promos always say first 20,000 fans or whatever, not first 20,000 tickets scanned. It always irks me to see on a bobblehead day some grown man with a garbage bag filled with 20 of them while kids coming through the gate get none.

Selling giveaway promo items for huge profits should be banned as well.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)

It's just a matter of logistics. Our policy is "one item per person that comes through the gate," which lets us deny people with extra tickets (much to their dismay), but it's really impossible to stop people from going through different gates or coming up behind workers at other gates and claiming that we were out at whatever gate the person came in before. I imagine the issue is tenfold at Major League games -- you just can't memorize all the faces and, to be honest, if the person is willing to make a fuss about it, it's better for business simply to hand them another item and diffuse the scene.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:41 AM)
It's just a matter of logistics. Our policy is "one item per person that comes through the gate," which lets us deny people with extra tickets (much to their dismay), but it's really impossible to stop people from going through different gates or coming up behind workers at other gates and claiming that we were out at whatever gate the person came in before. I imagine the issue is tenfold at Major League games -- you just can't memorize all the faces and, to be honest, if the person is willing to make a fuss about it, it's better for business simply to hand them another item and diffuse the scene.

I understand that, but usually they make no effort to hide the giveaways they already have received. Just drop down a bunch of $5 tickets and say fill me up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
I understand that, but usually they make no effort to hide the giveaways they already have received. Just drop down a bunch of $5 tickets and say fill me up.

Then you will feel superior so you can judge them, too?

In Singapore, they have a normal intl airport and a "budget" one without all the restaurants and frills for those travelling on the equivalent of SW Airlines (Air Asia and similar carriers).

Maybe if they call out those fans for being cheap charlies, they will either upgrade or not bother showing up at all for the lowest price possible to hoard all your giveaway items.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 1, 2015 -> 01:16 PM)
Then you will feel superior so you can judge them, too?

In Singapore, they have a normal intl airport and a "budget" one without all the restaurants and frills for those travelling on the equivalent of SW Airlines (Air Asia and similar carriers).

Maybe if they call out those fans for being cheap charlies, they will either upgrade or not bother showing up at all for the lowest price possible to hoard all your giveaway items.

Yeah, a sense of superiority. I won't take the bait.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)

That is what I did too. What I thought you were talking about was the scan in and scan out to get multiple promos on the SAME ticket. That ended last year. I have no issue (and the Sox shouldn't either) with multiple items with multiple tickets.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)

I wish the Sox did that, but they have always made me go in and out. Pretty sure the Brewers do it like that though.

The Brewers (and many other clubs) also do "all-fan" giveaways. If the Sox wanted to make sure everyone got one, they'd do more than 20k.

Sox are in no danger of moving. They'll draw 20,000 to 25000 on the average this year, so why fret? If the team ever gets good again people will come. That is assured. As long as the Sox want to remain this weird dysfunctional baseball team, Jeckyll/Hyde if you will, screw 'em. They'll still make money with the TV deal and the 20000 to 25,000 average attendance.

Edited by greg775