Who can the Sox acquire?

ILMOU

I'm aware the Sox could be sellers themselves, but I'm an optimist, so...

The Brewers are already toast in a deep division. Lucroy is out through May, likely, and is a crazy-bargain thru 2017. What would it take?

Also hoping that the Marlins tank, so that Morse becomes available. Loria will be an early seller, if they do. Would put some flexibility into the OF and bench, and would put an end to LaRoche vs. LHP.

Team needs more offense/power in the worst way - targeting the earliest sellers may provide the best chance of that happening soon enough to make a difference this year. Who do we like?

Too early, I know, but not too early to know there are some holes that need a fillin'. What say you?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 08:24 PM)
Lucroy is one of the best catchers in baseball, and cheap for 2 1/2 seasons. I would expect them to want a HAUL for him. I'd love to have him, but I'm afraid at what it would cost. Anderson/Montas/Hawkins? Not sure.

Of course they will want and expect a haul. More likely to want to trade the Cheater, I'm sure. But they need a whole lot, so it wouldn't shock if they moved him. They need to rebuild completely.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
Lucroy would be fantastic. And I hope that Morse somehow becomes available, but I think the Marlins will be buyers.

Could go either way. If they're a distant third to Nats/Mets in mid June, they'll be selling - Loria seems emotional and panic-driven.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
Of course they will want and expect a haul. More likely to want to trade the Cheater, I'm sure. But they need a whole lot, so it wouldn't shock if they moved him. They need to rebuild completely.

Could go either way. If they're a distant third to Nats/Mets in mid June, they'll be selling - Loria seems emotional and panic-driven.

Lucroy would be a dream but why do you call him a cheater?

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 09:16 PM)
Lucroy would be a dream but why do you call him a cheater?

Was referring to Braun, sorry. Looking at my post, I can see how it was unclear.

I realize that Lucroy is a dream, but I don't think the Brewers can compete within his contract window, so I'd move him if it made sense.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 25, 2015 -> 08:55 PM)
trading for the sake of trading in not the best way to address the holes, plus the cost is too prohibitive.

i like the way this team is getting together. now they got to believe in themselves that they can get it done.

T'would be nice. But these holes ain't gonna fill themselves.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 03:18 AM)
Was referring to Braun, sorry. Looking at my post, I can see how it was unclear.

I realize that Lucroy is a dream, but I don't think the Brewers can compete within his contract window, so I'd move him if it made sense.

T'would be nice. But these holes ain't gonna fill themselves.

i can understand what you are saying, but the cost will be too much, something like anderson and adams.

Billy Butler is on fire. Like many of us said, he would have been a great, cheap acquisition at DH instead of LaRoche who can't hit a lefty. If the A's suck, trade for Butler. Dump LaRoche to an NL team. Also, if Avi looks like the next Viciedo, dump him for prospects to somebody.

Edited by greg775

Theyre going to stash Segura at 2b or 3b for this year? Trade Ramirez to free up the position?

Segura is going to require a huge haul too because of 2013 and his strong start this year....no bargain basement discounting.

We cant play Morse in the outfield....so we are already willing to eat most of LaRoche's deal or part....seems crazy this early.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
Theyre going to stash Segura at 2b or 3b for this year? Trade Ramirez to free up the position?

Segura is going to require a huge haul too because of 2013 and his strong start this year....no bargain basement discounting.

We cant play Morse in the outfield....so we are already willing to eat most of LaRoche's deal or part....seems crazy this early.

can't believe it, the voice of reasoning. :D

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:15 AM)
Hey look, caulfield is stumping for Mike Morse again. I'm stunned

How...I said he cant play in the outfield anymore and he is blocked by LaRoche.

Stumping?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/04/2016...rankings-2.html

There's no fit on this list....maybe J.Zimmermann or Alex Gordon if their asking prices come down next offseason. Heyward is just a hot mess offensively.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)

on a totally unrelated idea, trading will definitely be a bad idea. but i see a lot of players in their 20's being release. i wonder if any is worth picking up. the sox has to go dumpster diving again.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:32 AM)
Caulfield you have been pining for him for years, acting like he is the fish that got away.

3-4 years ago...not so much since he's become such a defensive liability and would further worsen one of the most subpar defenses in the majors.