Why does *any* member of the White Sox front office deserve their job?

maxjusttyped

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
In my opinion, we asked for this as White Sox fans. Our fickle, dumbass fan base would not support a true rebuild. That is what needed to be done. They didn't want to waste prime years of Sale and Abreu so they went out and spent a ton of money to patch it together. The team spends a ton and it doesn't work and the fans don't come out to support the team. If they rebuild, people complain that they aren't signing free agents in Chicago blah blah and they don't come out. White Sox fans are a bunch of excuse makers. Nobody is getting fired. The team is 30th in runs scored and hasn't homered since April 22. That falls on no one except about the athletes that are getting paid to perform.

i disagree, the org was going in the right direction, then it stop. it was like dec that it stop. there were a couple of players that could have been of huge benefit. but instead, the sox got penny and then resign beckham and they of course they spent a whole of money on drabeck. (sp).

the FO became short sighted assuming all will preform the same without a viable backup player to plug in.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 4, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
It's gone from slurping Hahn during the winter, praising every move, to now every move has KW's fingerprints on it, he has to go.

While I do agree he should go to at least make it appear Hahn is the actual GM, Hahn is now the Don Cooper of White Sox executives. Nothing he does is bad, only good. If bad occurs, it has nothing to do with him.

If Hahn totally disagreed with the moves being made, I am sure he could put up a stink, and ultimately find another job pretty easily.

I also don't think the winter moves were bad, and ultimately the White Sox will play better, hopefully starting tomorrow.

i will play devil's advocate, who really stop Hahn from continuing his rebuild? who told Hahn to sign Penny and who set the parameters to resign Beckham.

no one will know that answer. no one. so by default, it falls on Hahn. and the sox owners.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 4, 2015 -> 10:06 AM)
Counsell was being groomed for a spot ever since he retired. If we hire another high school volunteer, I imagine people will indeed be pissed. If we hire Dave Martinez I don't think they will be.

I'd love if we hired him.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 4, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
i disagree, the org was going in the right direction, then it stop. it was like dec that it stop. there were a couple of players that could have been of huge benefit. but instead, the sox got penny and then resign beckham and they of course they spent a whole of money on drabeck. (sp).

the FO became short sighted assuming all will preform the same without a viable backup player to plug in.

The hell?

Beckham has been more than fine as a backup IF this season and they spent peanuts on Drabek.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 4, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
The hell?

Beckham has been more than fine as a backup IF this season and they spent peanuts on Drabek.

i guess that one should have been in green.

but the others that i stated, nothing on those?

the sox got lucky so far on beckham. remember in his career, he has always had a good month. but the point, no one thought he will do this good, there were other options avail.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 4, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
The hell?

Agreed. The problem hasn't been with the bottom of the roster, it has been with the top.

Sale has been mediocre, then awful. Samardjiza has been awful. Q started awful, then had a good start. Noesi and Danks have been Noesi and Danks. The offense hasn't hit a HR in a week, and can't score runs to save their lives. The defense has been awful, led by guys like Eaton and Alexei who are supposed to be good.

Gordon Beckham has been one of the few guys on the roster who hasn't sucked. Penny and Drabek were lottery tickets with people ahead of them anyway.

The front office has put the players on the roster to compete.

The coaching staff is not carrying over the talent they are given on the roster to a winning product on the field.

I'm not sure why we would blame the former because of the latter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 5, 2015 -> 12:12 AM)
The front office has put the players on the roster to compete.

The coaching staff is not carrying over the talent they are given on the roster to a winning product on the field.

I'm not sure why we would blame the former because of the latter.

maybe b/c the former are not getting the creme of the prospects pool. how can you mold something with water down mud and sand. :bang

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2015 -> 01:28 AM)
People have spent the last week+ saying this isn't true and I'm not sure they're wrong.

if you are saying the sox just arbitrarily selected players just to fill up the roster, i can't see that logic. maybe i am too tired.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 5, 2015 -> 01:28 AM)
Thank you!

Everyone needs to slow their role and relax, the season is still young.

ahhh posters need to vent and rant. as long it doesn't get personal .

i rant all the time. :o

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 4, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
Thank you!

Everyone needs to slow their role and relax, the season is still young.

Kenny Williams and Rick Hahn have been the top 2 decision makers in the White Sox org since 2001. Whether they've been in the same position that entire time is more semantics than anything.

edit - I thought Hahn and KW joined the White Sox at the same time, that's incorrect. Hahn joined in 2003. The initial point stands, though. They've been the two primary decision makers in the org for over a decade.

Edited by maxjusttyped

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
People have spent the last week+ saying this isn't true and I'm not sure they're wrong.

Well I'm not sure how you dispute that, to be honest.

I don't remember hearing much in regards to disappointment with the way our roster was supplemented this past offseason. This includes a fairly strong consensus on this board as well as by the local and national media.

For the most part, I agree.

The biggest questions were probably whether Robertson was worth all that money, would Samardzija be willing to sign an extension, was Duke a fluke and how much did Cabrera and LaRoche have left in the tank (as those last two, in particular, were "win now" moves)...even adding someone like Bonifacio to the bench at that salary (which now seems to have been premature).

Still, it's about winning and losing.

In the end, it doesn't matter what percentage of fans agreed about adding Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Samardzija, Cabrera, Robertson, etc.

Usually the smaller, under the radar moves are the ones that have turned out the best for the White Sox over the last 15 years or so.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2015 -> 03:08 AM)

The biggest questions were probably whether Robertson was worth all that money, would Samardzija be willing to sign an extension, was Duke a fluke and how much did Cabrera and LaRoche have left in the tank (as those last two, in particular, were "win now" moves)...even adding someone like Bonifacio to the bench at that salary (which now seems to have been premature).

In the end, it doesn't matter what percentage of fans agreed about adding Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Samardzija, Cabrera, Robertson, etc.

Usually the smaller, under the radar moves are the ones that have turned out the best for the White Sox over the last 15 years or so.

no post, well thought out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2015 -> 04:08 AM)

no it is not, for the owners perspective, its about the money, oh i forgot also about loyalty as well.

If the front office is to blame then we knew from the beginning that there wasn't the talent on the field to compete. Obviously Robin wasn't given the talent he needs to be a playoff contending team. Only fools and people who drink the koolaid thought this team would be better than .500. So we keep Robin, because this can't be his fault without the talent, and replace the front office with guys that can actually put a talented team on the field.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 5, 2015 -> 06:51 AM)
If the front office is to blame then we knew from the beginning that there wasn't the talent on the field to compete. Obviously Robin wasn't given the talent he needs to be a playoff contending team. Only fools and people who drink the koolaid thought this team would be better than .500. So we keep Robin, because this can't be his fault without the talent, and replace the front office with guys that can actually put a talented team on the field.

If you went back to the predictions thread and averaged it out, I'm sure you would come up with something like 83-79 or 84-78 as the mean or median number.

Very few were picking over 86, but there were just as many in the 86-89 range as 76-79.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
If you went back to the predictions thread and averaged it out, I'm sure you would come up with something like 83-79 or 84-78 as the mean or median number.

Very few were picking over 86, but there were just as many in the 86-89 range as 76-79.

Here's the thread for the curious. If you go by the poll, there's a very tight distribution between 80 and 94.

If you go by responses in the thread, the lowest is 74, the highest is 99 (excluding your typical jokey 162-0 type guesses), average is about 86 and the median is 86. 30 out of 41 posts with honest-to-god answers had us in the 80's.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2015 -> 01:38 PM)

i am very guilty of predicting a better winning record. b/c i believed in the players that the sox assembled. do i still think that way, hell yeah.

but i will hope until it is mathematically impossible to hope.

at the same time, i will still express my disappointment in the FO.