Why does *any* member of the White Sox front office deserve their job?

maxjusttyped

One playoff win in what's about to be 10 years. I try to be as rational as possible, but it's difficult for me to understand why any member of the White Sox front office/coaching staff etc actually deserves their job. It shouldn't be this hard to build a competitive team. Go cherry pick members from the Dodgers/A's/Cubs/Red Sox etc front office and give them time to actually build something. This is a f***ing disgrace.

I know people are going to come on here and defend Hahn, and I too like the *idea* of Hahn. He's sabermetricly inclined. Seems to make rational decisions, and yet he's the same guy who pushed in his chips on a roster ALL available projection systems said was bad. He pushed in his chips on one of the worst teams in baseball to... make sure they were still one of the worst teams in baseball. Hahn has been heavily involved in the White Sox decision making process for over a decade. So has Kenny Williams. It's time for them to go. Although with Reinsdorf as the owner, that's nothing more than a pipe dream.

/endrant

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KW runs this team and needs to f***ing go today. This organization has been trashed by him and the moves he has made. Ever since he let the Big Hurt go he has ducked this team up so bad. The only moves that can be considered successes are Sale and Abreu. There is a reason that the Sox has been at the bottom of the minor league rankings and the major league rankings year in and year out

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 3, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
#FireRobin is my new favorite twitter tag. I think I just went through and retweeted like, 30 tweets with it.

Let's get it trending!

The problems with this organization go well beyond Robin. I don't think he's a great manager by any means, but I don't think he's preventing them from being a good team.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 3, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)
One playoff win in what's about to be 10 years. I try to be as rational as possible, but it's difficult for me to understand why any member of the White Sox front office/coaching staff etc actually deserves their job. It shouldn't be this hard to build a competitive team. Go cherry pick members from the Dodgers/A's/Cubs/Red Sox etc front office and give them time to actually build something. This is a f***ing disgrace.

I know people are going to come on here and defend Hahn, and I too like the *idea* of Hahn. He's sabermetricly inclined. Seems to make rational decisions, and yet he's the same guy who pushed in his chips on a roster ALL available projection systems said was bad. He pushed in his chips on one of the worst teams in baseball to... make sure they were still one of the worst teams in baseball. Hahn has been heavily involved in the White Sox decision making process for over a decade. So has Kenny Williams. It's time for them to go. Although with Reinsdorf as the owner, that's nothing more than a pipe dream.

/endrant

None of the front office has been in their positions for 10 years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)
None of the front office has been in their positions for 10 years.

KW and Hahn have been the top two in the organization since 2001, the titles have changed, but the members have not.

Not trying to be snarky, but simply stating the facts. I am a Hahn supporter, but think his hands are tied with JR and KW still having input. I honestly do not know who has final say over things in the organization.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ May 3, 2015 -> 04:37 PM)

/endrant

Nothing changes until the Sox are sold. Because with this current ownership group, you will not get a movement to, as you shrewdly suggest, "cherry pick...(superior) front office (execs from other teams) to actually build something (representing a sustainable winning Chicago White Sox organization)."

No, the approach with Reinsdorf to building a front office and in-game management team continues to be borne of favoritism and loyalty, and favoritism and loyalty only. How else do you either explain the continued employment of people like Williams, Boyer, Pizer, etc in the front office, or the hiring of Ventura, Baines, and Boston in the dugout? I mean, Ventura is the prime example of all of this. He was hired to be the manager of a Major League Baseball team with ZERO managing experience, and he wasn't even in the damn game at the time. Ah, but he was a personal favorite of the Chairman, so that trumped hiring someone like Dave Martinez, who was actually in a dugout for many years learning from someone like Joe Maddon. So firing Robin makes sense, but does it when the next manager is just another Reinsdorf favorite with no experience like Jim Thome, for example. No, it does not. It's really frustrating that we, the fans, continue to suffer from such poor decision making.

If the Sox do not make it to the postseason yet again this year, that will represent the 30th time in Reinsdorf's 35 years as owner that they haven't. It's an abysmal record of futility and I, for one, choose to hold Reinsdorf accountable for the continued mess he and his management team deliver to our fan base. I truly do look forward to the day, whenever that is, when we wake up and hear that the team was sold. The idea of a fresh new ownership with different ideas and approaches on how to guide this team that operates in the third largest market to success will be warmly received and embraced. Anything different than what's been peddled these past 35 years, I'll take it. Got nothing to lose at this point.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
Nothing changes until the Sox are sold. Because with this current ownership group, you will not get a movement to, as you shrewdly suggest, "cherry pick...(superior) front office (execs from other teams) to actually build something (representing a sustainable winning Chicago White Sox organization)."

No, the approach with Reinsdorf to building a front office and in-game management team continues to be borne of favoritism and loyalty, and favoritism and loyalty only. How else do you either explain the continued employment of people like Williams, Boyer, Pizer, etc in the front office, or the hiring of Ventura, Baines, and Boston in the dugout? I mean, Ventura is the prime example of all of this. He was hired to be the manager of a Major League Baseball team with ZERO managing experience, and he wasn't even in the damn game at the time. Ah, but he was a personal favorite of the Chairman, so that trumped hiring someone like Dave Martinez, who was actually in a dugout for many years learning from someone like Joe Maddon. So firing Robin makes sense, but does it when the next manager is just another Reinsdorf favorite with no experience like Jim Thome, for example. No, it does not. It's really frustrating that we, the fans, continue to suffer from such poor decision making.

If the Sox do not make it to the postseason yet again this year, that will represent the 30th time in Reinsdorf's 35 years as owner that they haven't. It's an abysmal record of futility and I, for one, choose to hold Reinsdorf accountable for the continued mess he and his management team deliver to our fan base. I truly do look forward to the day, whenever that is, when we wake up and hear that the team was sold. The idea of a fresh new ownership with different ideas and approaches on how to guide this team that operates in the third largest market to success will be warmly received and embraced. Anything different than what's been peddled these past 35 years, I'll take it. Got nothing to lose at this point.

Finally someone that gets it, in reality as Sox fans with JR around nothing will change. Kenny Williams still collecting checks is really all you need to know about Sox brass.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)

LOL. Choose to hold them "accountable". Yet here you are still talking about the team, watching games, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
LOL. Choose to hold them "accountable". Yet here you are still talking about the team, watching games, etc.

But perhaps not spending money and/or creating revenue for the team.

Unless it's for the draconian overlords at SoxTalk (jk).

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ May 4, 2015 -> 12:56 AM)

bravo.... you missed on a couple of items, but who cares. someone other than myself is calling as it is. excellent points.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)

Yes, I am still talking about the Chicago White Sox and watching their games, etc. I was doing that before Jerry Reinsdorf & Co. bought the team, and I'll be doing so after their reign of ownership terror is over. In the meantime, as long as the results continue along the lines of what we are currently witnessing, I will continue to hold the Chairman ultimately responsible. I won't leave all the blame squarely at Ventura's feet or Kenny's, but rather at the Boss' himself.

In my opinion, we asked for this as White Sox fans. Our fickle, dumbass fan base would not support a true rebuild. That is what needed to be done. They didn't want to waste prime years of Sale and Abreu so they went out and spent a ton of money to patch it together. The team spends a ton and it doesn't work and the fans don't come out to support the team. If they rebuild, people complain that they aren't signing free agents in Chicago blah blah and they don't come out. White Sox fans are a bunch of excuse makers. Nobody is getting fired. The team is 30th in runs scored and hasn't homered since April 22. That falls on no one except about the athletes that are getting paid to perform.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
In my opinion, we asked for this as White Sox fans. Our fickle, dumbass fan base would not support a true rebuild. That is what needed to be done. They didn't want to waste prime years of Sale and Abreu so they went out and spent a ton of money to patch it together. The team spends a ton and it doesn't work and the fans don't come out to support the team. If they rebuild, people complain that they aren't signing free agents in Chicago blah blah and they don't come out. White Sox fans are a bunch of excuse makers. Nobody is getting fired. The team is 30th in runs scored and hasn't homered since April 22. That falls on no one except about the athletes that are getting paid to perform.

At the very least then, the people in the front office who made the decisions to spend a lot of money based on last year's team and who made the decisions to bring in the players who aren't performing deserve some heat for those failings.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2015 -> 07:54 AM)
At the very least then, the people in the front office who made the decisions to spend a lot of money based on last year's team and who made the decisions to bring in the players who aren't performing deserve some heat for those failings.

Adam LaRoche is a notorious slow-starter. Eaton has been terrible. Melky hasn't been good enough and Abreu is pressing big time. You have offensive black holes at 2B, 3B, and C but I think they knew that going in. Eaton/Melky are killing this team.