2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY ONE

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
From the linked article:

Word before the draft that Trout was seeking a $2.5-million signing bonus might have scared off some teams. But the Angels, who got quite a catch when they drafted outfielder Tim Salmon in 1989, picked Trout and signed him for $1.215 million, his slot value.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/19/sp...-trout-20110220

That might be more the LA Times making more of it. he signed for slot and was never viewed as a top 10 pick and largely went roughly where everyone had him pegged (in the 20's). Have a hard time saying teams passed on him cause of demands and he handed given some indication that he didn't have one of those Stanford commits where guys legitimately fall because they plan on going to college.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
"Playing a rookie who was rushed up to the big leagues alongside them" is a pretty solid way to waste their prime years IMO.

I'm just under the philosophy that if you have a solid core of young talented players (like the Sox do), that there's no time like the present to try and win.

There's just no point in my mind trying to build a solid minor league system at this point while there's potential for the Big League team to win NOW. The Sox are only a few pieces away from being a really good team IMO.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)
Not to mention Beckham wasn't a reach at all. Sox have drafted pretty well past few years (although still extremely early to really say that but we've clearly drafted well in the 1st couple of rounds).

The Sox were actually fearful that someone who take him ahead of them

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
That might be more the LA Times making more of it. he signed for slot and was never viewed as a top 10 pick and largely went roughly where everyone had him pegged (in the 20's). Have a hard time saying teams passed on him cause of demands and he handed given some indication that he didn't have one of those Stanford commits where guys legitimately fall because they plan on going to college.

IIRC, Baseball America was reporting his signing demands were scaring off some teams as well. I think I saw that when going through the 2009 draft thread on this site a few weeks ago.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
I'm just under the philosophy that if you have a solid core of young talented players (like the Sox do), that there's no time like the present to try and win.

There's just no point in my mind trying to build a solid minor league system at this point while there's potential for the Big League team to win NOW. The Sox are only a few pieces away from being a really good team IMO.

I'm of the philosophy that the big league team's potential to win now is extremely low.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 07:46 PM)

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72142

You actually had posted this:

Oh and one guy the Sox have been linked to, Prep Outfielder Mike Trout (no strong ties, more tied to them based upon needs by other columnists), is demanding $2.5M, which is .1M less than Beckham got.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
I'm of the philosophy that the big league team's potential to win now is extremely low.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

I honestly don't think the Sox are as bad as they've shown themselves to be. The talent is there, they just have to stop underachieving like they have been and they might have a chance. I mean they're only 7.5 games out of 1st place right now. If they can get hot now, they could have a chance still.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72142

You actually had posted this:

Oh and one guy the Sox have been linked to, Prep Outfielder Mike Trout (no strong ties, more tied to them based upon needs by other columnists), is demanding $2.5M, which is .1M less than Beckham got.

Haha..shows what I remember. I had remember writing about Trout and really being a fan of his. Selective memory haha. Evidently I also suggested we should draft Garrett Richards. Too bad they didn't do that either, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 08:56 PM)
Haha..shows what I remember. I had remember writing about Trout and really being a fan of his. Selective memory haha. Evidently I also suggested we should draft Garrett Richards. Too bad they didn't do that either, haha.

And foolishly, I didn't want Trout because I thought he would be in the mold of Rowand.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:33 PM)
Remember when Tyler Flowers was considered a hitter? He was Kris Bryant in the fall league and came to the Sox and hit .300 with .400 OBP with power in AA and AAA. Then suddenly he couldn't hit. Catchers scare me. Most of them can't hit. Maybe the demands of the job, not just the beatings they take, just take it's toll. I am very leery of HS catchers. There is so much they have to achieve just running the game and the beatings, where predicting offense is very difficult.

Stephenson is considered a bat that can catch. His bat is considered good enough to profile in the OF or CI. The dig on Flowers was that his defense was subpar and he may not have the hit tool to play another position. His power was there but too much swing an miss.

Stephenson is more along the lines of a guy like Will Myers or Alex Jackson from last years draft as a high school catcher that has a bat that can carry him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
Interesting that there are significant rumors suggesting Cameron will go to the Astros with their 3rd pick, #37.

That adds legitimacy to the Astros going underslot significantly at number two (Benitendi is the rumored target) and using the savings to go over slot with Cameron while going full slot on Tucker at number 5.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)
That adds legitimacy to the Astros going underslot significantly at number two (Benitendi is the rumored target) and using the savings to go over slot with Cameron while going full slot on Tucker at number 5.

Bregman supposed to go with their first pick

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
Stephenson is considered a bat that can catch. His bat is considered good enough to profile in the OF or CI. The dig on Flowers was that his defense was subpar and he may not have the hit tool to play another position. His power was there but too much swing an miss.

Stephenson is more along the lines of a guy like Will Myers or Alex Jackson from last years draft as a high school catcher that has a bat that can carry him.

Alex Jackson is Courtney Hawkins this year.