Could the Sox get proper value in trading Sale?

Real

this was talked about last year. general consensus was no (and I agreed)

its a year later. figured its at least worthy of discussion if nothing else

with his contract/remaining yrs, what is the proper value for #49

imho you need someone whos got a stud catcher who cant miss as a top priority in the deal as well as a cant miss SP

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 10:14 PM)

imho you need someone whos got a stud catcher who cant miss as a top priority in the deal as well as a cant miss SP

i agree, i have been waiting for some one to start this. but the rtn would be really too much for a team willing to pay.

imagine 4 top rated prospects plus at 2 pitcher in the start line up. that is my demands.

Now that he's back to normal, no they would not get fair value by trading him.

That said...I'm a lot more open than I was last year. This year's utter failure means we are now likely to waste several more of his good seasons waiting for contracts like Melky to clear and if they did move him at least they'd stop making dumb decisions like spending a ton of money and trading for guys about to become FA when their roster was no where near good enough to do so.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 10:26 PM)
Now that he's back to normal, no they would not get fair value by trading him.

That said...I'm a lot more open than I was last year. This year's utter failure means we are now likely to waste several more of his good seasons waiting for contracts like Melky to clear and if they did move him at least they'd stop making dumb decisions like spending a ton of money and trading for guys about to become FA when their roster was no where near good enough to do so.

the sox did not waste a 3 rounder for him to sign. then to either eat his contract or to trade if for less value.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 05:14 PM)

You'd have to get a team's top 4 prospects for him, and at least two of them would have to be top 20 prospects., if not higher. All 4 would have to be top 100 guys.

Just too valuable to waste on a team like the White Sox, but can't move him for anything less than ridiculous value.

Quintana and Abreu may as well be moved as well if Sale is.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
the sox did not waste a 3 rounder for him to sign. then to either eat his contract or to trade if for less value.

He's in the same void as Danks now, can't not play him but no one would take him unless you pay most of it. He's now a sunk cost and we just have to get used to it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 05:42 PM)
Sox fans can't handle a couple of months of bad baseball. They would have a conniption fit if Chris Sale got traded, no matter what the return.

Can't make moves based on the 15K fans who show up at games.

If the White Sox could trade Quintana, Sale and Abreu, and get back 4-5 top 25 minor league prospects, plus 2-3 others in the top 100, is that enough?

Turn into the Cubs pretty much for 3 years, and have a crazy minor league system.

If they traded Sale, it would mean they were overwhelmed. Overwhelm us.

And while you're at it, listen on Quintana and Abreu too.

Look, if your major league team sucks, you have to infuse the system with assets, and get back in line again. Obviously what they're trying to do isn't working, so they have to try something different even if a few fans don't like it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 05:42 PM)
Sox fans can't handle a couple of months of bad baseball. They would have a conniption fit if Chris Sale got traded, no matter what the return.

cant handle losing? been here last few years. id say im pretty used to mediocrity

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
If they traded Sale, it would mean they were overwhelmed. Overwhelm us.

And while you're at it, listen on Quintana and Abreu too.

Look, if your major league team sucks, you have to infuse the system with assets, and get back in line again. Obviously what they're trying to do isn't working, so they have to try something different even if a few fans don't like it.

Exactly. I'm leaning in this direction as elite as Sale is.

I realize it won't happen. The White Sox are more likely to continue tinkering around the edges. That could work as well, but I think the Cubs should be a model for the White Sox.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
Exactly. I'm leaning in this direction as elite as Sale is.

I realize it won't happen. The White Sox are more likely to continue tinkering around the edges. That could work as well, but I think the Cubs should be a model for the White Sox.

The Sox can not do the Cubs did, the fanbase won't allow it.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
The Sox can not do the Cubs did, the fanbase won't allow it.

What fan base? You're really going to make decisions around the worst (or bottom rung) fan base in the majors?

They don't have one.

If they are truly convinced they can win, then fine, trade for Hamels. Make the rotation so strong that they can win every game 4-3 or 3-2.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
He's in the same void as Danks now, can't not play him but no one would take him unless you pay most of it. He's now a sunk cost and we just have to get used to it.

i will admit i was one of the posters who a. wanted him and b. was glad the sox signed him.

but is it him or the team. so many players are underachieving.

QUOTE (Real @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 05:14 PM)

No they couldn't proper value, which would be approx 1 top 5, 1 top 10, 2 more top 50s and a couple more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 06:42 PM)

"A couple months of bad baseball" = 2 months of better than .500 baseball since August of 2012.

"A couple" = 14.