Could the Sox get proper value in trading Sale?

Real

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep this team together and with a top 3 pick each of Sale's next four years draft a SS,2B,3B, and C. Looking back over the last 4 years that might be players like:

Correa SS

Buxton OF

Zunino C

Bryant 3B

Frazier OF

Appel P

Schwarber C,OF

Gordon SS

Jackson OF

Swanson SS

Bregman SS

Rogers SS

In the mean time we can enjoy Sale pitching every 5th game and Abreu batting with no one on.

QUOTE (jdupps @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
Keep this team together and with a top 3 pick each of Sale's next four years draft a SS,2B,3B, and C. Looking back over the last 4 years that might be players like:

Correa SS

Buxton OF

Zunino C

Bryant 3B

Frazier OF

Appel P

Schwarber C,OF

Gordon SS

Jackson OF

Swanson SS

Bregman SS

Rogers SS

In the mean time we can enjoy Sale pitching every 5th game and Abreu batting with no one on.

i know that you are really thinking of something.... so this is on me, i can't figure out what you are driving at.

QUOTE (jdupps @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)

Correa SS

Buxton OF

Zunino C

Bryant 3B

Frazier OF

Appel P

Schwarber C,OF

Gordon SS

Jackson OF

Swanson SS

Bregman SS

Rogers SS

sox have proven to be incapable of dwveloping position players

Some Red Sox fan made this claim:

"From what I understand, during this off season the Red Sox and the White Sox had a deal in place for Sale where Chicago basically were told to pick 6 prospects. This deal fell apart when the White Sox owner wanted to commit to winning now rather than later."

Sounds like a load of BS. Any validity to this?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
Some Red Sox fan made this claim:

"From what I understand, during this off season the Red Sox and the White Sox had a deal in place for Sale where Chicago basically were told to pick 6 prospects. This deal fell apart when the White Sox owner wanted to commit to winning now rather than later."

Sounds like a load of BS. Any validity to this?

The rumor was out there. It was pretty well laughed at around these parts.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
http://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/...for_chris_sale/

Some perspective from fans of other teams.

Basically what we're all saying:

The price is astronomical already and any team would be scared to pull the trigger.

Then if the rest of baseball finds out Chris Sale is on the market? We're talking the biggest haul in the history of deals. Puig and Bryant are conversation starters. No team will be willing to pay that price.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
Kaplan on his morning radio show has a guest on (idk who it is, but is a White Sox fan), offered the Cubs 12th, 13th, 14th prospects for Sale lol. Guy is an idiot.

Heard a guy say they would trade Vogelbach for Shark this morning. Ya, ok.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 04:26 PM)
Heard a guy say they would trade Vogelbach for Shark this morning. Ya, ok.

I would take that trade without thinking twice. Doubtful the cubs would.

Then again, I admit I do not see Shark's value as high as others do.

I know he only pitches every 5 days, and we lose half of the games he pitches but I dont think trading Sale is the answer. His deal alone is so cheap, he buys as at least 2 years to change the make up of the offense. And when we are ready to compete, we still have a young ACE in the rotation.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
I know he only pitches every 5 days, and we lose half of the games he pitches but I dont think trading Sale is the answer. His deal alone is so cheap, he buys as at least 2 years to change the make up of the offense. And when we are ready to compete, we still have a young ACE in the rotation.

Fine...then there is 1 requirement.

Give me a roadmap to fixing this offense in 2 years that actually works. It can't rely on magic, it can't rely on Abreu and Eaton becoming their 2014 selves because they might not, it can't rely on Garcia being much better than this, it can't rely on Tim Anderson, it has to be done using the stuff in our system and a handful of additional free agent signings but still bargain basement ones because we have so many different positions to fill for 2017.

I for one would look at that and say "I can't do it", but then I'd end up fired as a GM, so I might as well trade Quintana and see if that fills a few of the holes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)

Give me a roadmap to fixing this offense in 2 years that actually works. It can't rely on magic, it can't rely on Abreu and Eaton becoming their 2014 selves because they might not, it can't rely on Garcia being much better than this, it can't rely on Tim Anderson, it has to be done using the stuff in our system and a handful of additional free agent signings but still bargain basement ones because we have so many different positions to fill for 2017.

I for one would look at that and say "I can't do it", but then I'd end up fired as a GM, so I might as well trade Quintana and see if that fills a few of the holes.

The Yanks would most certainly be interested in bringing back the one that got away, Q. Severino, Judge and Jagielo might be a good haul for Q.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 02:41 PM)

the bargain basement specials. those reclamation players and counting on them to produce instead of really addressing the need to fully get viable players.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
the bargain basement specials. those reclamation players and counting on them to produce instead of really addressing the need to fully get viable players.

We don't have the money to fill 6-7 positions in the starting lineup with "fully viable players" unless we get some into our system to fill slots cheaply. With 0 contributions from our farm system and money tied up in the starting rotation and bullpen...it is literally the only option.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
Sale + Melky to Dodgers for 6 prospects of our choice.

Melky devalues Sale and the dodgers have made it clear since last season they are not dealing their top prospects.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
Melky devalues Sale and the dodgers have made it clear since last season they are not dealing their top prospects.

Any team that even wants to get us to talk about Sale is going to have to do a lot of things they otherwise wouldn't be willing to do.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
We don't have the money to fill 6-7 positions in the starting lineup with "fully viable players" unless we get some into our system to fill slots cheaply. With 0 contributions from our farm system and money tied up in the starting rotation and bullpen...it is literally the only option.

without any discussion on anything else, the failure of the minor league does put pressure on other areas that the sox won't address.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)

Not devalues - taking a bad contract helps us get more value out of Sale since no team will give full 100% value in prospects. Attaching a bad contract usually devalues a player - but the Sox return will be below value in prospects no matter what deal they make, so they'll have to scratch out other value in different ways.

And if they won't deal a top prospect, they don't get Sale.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
Any team that even wants to get us to talk about Sale is going to have to do a lot of things they otherwise wouldn't be willing to do.

I agree which is why the Dodgers would not be in on Sale. Now, Samardzija is a different story. I can see the Dodgers being interested in Samardzija based on him only being a rental that will not cost them any of their prospects they consider to be precious.