Could the Sox get proper value in trading Sale?

Real

The problem with trading Sale is that no team will pay what he's worth; and, honestly, I'm not sure that any team has the prospects that equal his worth. Dodgers maybe- they have 2 top 10s I think. Not the Cubs anymore; not the Astros at all. Certainly not Boston with all of that foolsgold in that organization.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Cubs want Sale the conversation starts with Bryant, and it would have to be more than just him too. Russell/Schwarber plus two others (and the two others better be damn good as well) sounds a little intriguing, but I'd still 95% say no.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:20 AM)
If the Cubs want Sale the conversation starts with Bryant, and it would have to be more than just him too. Russell/Schwarber plus two others (and the two others better be damn good as well) sounds a little intriguing, but I'd still 95% say no.

I love Sale but there is no way in hell the Cubs would be willing to part with those players. They are the absolute core players to the future of that teams lineup. Do you think they would want to trade those guys just so they can have Sale and be as bad as the Sox?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
I love Sale but there is no way in hell the Cubs would be willing to part with those players. They are the absolute core players to the future of that teams lineup. Do you think they would want to trade those guys just so they can have Sale and be as bad as the Sox?

Yeah, which is exactly why it doesn't make sense to trade Sale. To get equal value, teams are going to have give up a package that doesn't make sense for them. If the Astros wanted them, then they'd have to give us a big portion of their future as well.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)
RICK HAHN'S CELLPHONE

Incoming call from Theo Epstein

Theo: "Hey Rick, so, we want to talk Chris Sale. How's Almora and Vogelbach sound?"

Hahn: "Theo, Almora and Russell could maybe get you Jose Quintana if I'm in a good mood."

Theo: "Alright, what if I give you Vogelbach and Baez for Quintana? Kind of the same thing!"

Hangs up

You have one unopened voicemail

"Hey Rick, must have lost you. This Windy City weather can be nuts, right? Ok. So what if I give you Almora, Russell, Vogelbach and Baez for Sale and Quintana?"

You have two unopened voicemails

"Hey Rick. Me again. What if I give you Edwards, Baez and Russell for Sale?"

You have three unopened voicemails

"Rick, man, the service where you're at must be terrible. Ok. Russell, Baez, Edwards and Schwarber for Sale? Great deal for you, hell you're winning this deal!"

You have four unopened voicemails

"Rick, it's me, Kenny. Don't trade with Theo. He keeps calling me pretending to be an insurance company before suddenly wanting to give me a huge SALE at a discounted price of Russell, Baez, Edwards and Schwarber."

Rick Hahn listens to all voicemails

Calling "Northside Asshat"

"Ok Theo, you want to talk Sale, let's talk Sale. Bryant, Russell, Almora, Edwards and Schwarber. I'll even give you John Danks, it's supposed to be easy for pitchers to go AL to NL, right?"

"Rick, that's just too much risk. What if Sale gets hurt and I'm stuck with his massive contract?"

Hangs up

You have one unopened voicemail

"Screw you Rick. Jed was ready to give me Rizzo for Archer when he was with the Padres, why can't you be a normal GM and play along?"

:notworthy:

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
Yeah, which is exactly why it doesn't make sense to trade Sale. To get equal value, teams are going to have give up a package that doesn't make sense for them. If the Astros wanted them, then they'd have to give us a big portion of their future as well.

for starters, i am gong to use Hou for this example. hou system is deep and it just got deeper this past draft.

their major league team is young. give up 3 top players and some other fillers, for a young cost control pitcher and the way that team is set up, they may repeat on making it to the playoff.

they can do it. if not, who cares.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:32 AM)
The Bulls didn't win for 7 years with Michael Jordan. The Bears didn't win for 10 years with Walter Payton.

Trading one of the best pitchers in baseball, cost controlled as he is, to improve your team? About as dumb as it gets, unless you plan to be bad for 4 or 5 years.

Would you rather improve your overall team by trading away a great pitcher OR watch a losing team over the next 3-4 seasons with a really great pitcher? You can get a Kings Ransom if you trade Sale.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
Would you rather improve your overall team by trading away a great pitcher OR watch a losing team over the next 3-4 seasons with a really great pitcher? You can get a Kings Ransom if you trade Sale.

What's an example of a Kings Ransom that a team would actually be willing to part with to get Sale?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)

I actually think the talent level of the White Sox isn't as low as most. Again, go back to the late 80s, the deal was you can't win with Michael Jordan. The leading scorer never wins titles. Michael doesn't make his teammates better...it went on and on. Be entertained by his high wire act but he will never win. You win with guys like Chris Sale. If the Sox intend to compete, trading him is dumb. If they plan for a total rebuild, then trade him. But the White Sox will suck for years is just hyperbole IMO.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
What's an example of a Kings Ransom that a team would actually be willing to part with to get Sale?

We're talking a teams top 3 or 4 prospects AT least. To be honest you can ask for any teams best player for Chris Sale because he is that damn good.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
We're talking a teams top 3 or 4 prospects AT least. To be honest you can ask for any teams best player for Chris Sale because he is that damn good.

But those top 3 or 4 prospects would have to be very good prospects, which limits the teams that could do it. Who would be willing to do it, and who are those players?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
They are trading him so this is moot, but there is no way you trade Sale for just prospects. There would have to be a successful young cost controlled major league player or 2 coming back.

Well right, you need guaranteed, proven major league talent if you're trading Sale, there's too much risk with just prospects, even if they're all top-20 guys.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
But those top 3 or 4 prospects would have to be very good prospects, which limits the teams that could do it. Who would be willing to do it, and who are those players?

Let's use LA for instance. You are at least asking for a package starting with this:

Corey Seagar

Julio Urias

Joc Pederson

Howie Kendrick

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
Let's use LA for instance. You are at least asking for a package starting with this:

Corey Seagar

Julio Urias

Joc Pederson

Howie Kendrick

His point is that LAD would never do that, so this is a pointless discussion.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)

Corey Seagar

Julio Urias

Joc Pederson

Howie Kendrick

Therein lies the problem. There's no chance LA gives that up for Sale. If I'm a dodger fan and they gave all that up for Sale, I would be fuming.

This is why the idea of trading Sale is so difficult and why it would almost certainly take a three team deal to make happen. Not one team will give up what Sale is percieved to be worth because it would be a huge drain on the farm.

Something like the Nat's send Zimmermann to LAD for good prospects, the Nat's take those prospects and add them to Giolito and Turner for Chris Sale. I'm not proposing that as a deal, just an example of how a deal might have to work if Sale were to actually be traded.

Again, this is for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken serious.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 02:06 PM)
Melky was busted for PEDs in 2012. He had 1000 plate appearances after getting caught in which he put up an OPS + of 119. It's not the roids.

Yes, thats when he was caught it is not necessarily when he started using PED's. Melky has had a tendency to put up really good seasons in contract years and come back to earth to the player that he actually is the following year. I am sure he will be really good again in two years when he is playing for his next contract.

i know i am weird, esp in my way of thinking of baseball players and prospects.

i would do the deal for Sale to lets say to LA for these

Corey Seagar

Julio Urias

Grant Holmes

Austin Barnes

Cody Bellinger

sign Johnny Cueto or Price fa sp. i know the sox will loose 2nd round.

then trade Shark for this kind of prospect and 3b and if able Melky or Adam Laroche.

the sox can make the playoff next yr.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)
The problem with trading Sale is that no team will pay what he's worth; and, honestly, I'm not sure that any team has the prospects that equal his worth. Dodgers maybe- they have 2 top 10s I think. Not the Cubs anymore; not the Astros at all. Certainly not Boston with all of that foolsgold in that organization.

Haven't read past this post, but the bolded is all that really needs to be said. I've said before, a fair trade involving Sale is the type of thing that can get a GM fired later, and that's why this discussion is dumb every time it occurs.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
Haven't read past this post, but the bolded is all that really needs to be said. I've said before, a fair trade involving Sale is the type of thing that can get a GM fired later, and that's why this discussion is dumb every time it occurs.

Unfortunately, "4 years under .500 out of 5 and no prospect for improvement the next few years" is also the kind of thing that should get a GM fired already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
Unfortunately, "4 years under .500 out of 5 and no prospect for improvement the next few years" is also the kind of thing that should get a GM fired already.

Whatever position a GM is in, "Trading a top 5 pitcher in baseball without the return performing immediately and emphatically" will expedite his firing.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)

and adding a star pitcher to make the ws is also a way to get a raise.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
and adding a star pitcher to make the ws is also a way to get a raise.

Or you never get to the World Series with your new star pitcher, and you gave away all your young guys for him.

Lots of ways the trade would be risky for all parties and that's why it won't happen, certainly not within the next few years.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 12:35 PM)
Balta, would you trade Sale?

After the 2015 f*** up...if I were the GM no I wouldn't because of all the reasons you guys just gave but it would be the correct move for the franchise. And that's a big problem too.