Dave Cameron: Sox Should Sell Sale, Q, and Abreu

flavum

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)

You won’t be able to replace the star power of Sale or Abreu, but star power isn’t getting the White Sox anywhere; maybe it’s time to try having more than a half dozen Major League players on the roster.

(Drops Mic)

Personally, I'd ask for Grandal, Seager and Urias for Sale and Danks. Wouldn't mind getting a quality starting catcher and 2 of the top 5 prospects in all of baseball while freeing up money with Danks gone.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)

Glad he joined the chorus of idiots suggesting a Sale trade while writing with a tone that - as usual - could only be described as obnoxious know-it-all. Now I can feel even better about disliking him.

Maybe someone should tell him about the reported return for King Felix.

He really undervalues players on the Sox. There is no ay you trade Sale, or Abreu. You can argue all you want about POSSIBLE returns, but it won't happen. I go back to the original story where he says the Sox have a 3% chance of making the wild card. That means we still have a chance. Go Sox!

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
Glad he joined the chorus of idiots suggesting a Sale trade while writing with a tone that - as usual - could only be described as obnoxious know-it-all. Now I can feel even better about disliking him.

Maybe someone should tell him about the reported return for King Felix.

His proposed Sale to the Cubs trade is Schwarber, Baez, and Alcantara. I can't respect him after that proposal, to call it a joke is a complete understatement. I would burn down Rick Hahn's office if he made that trade.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
Personally, I'd ask for Grandal, Seager and Urias for Sale and Danks. Wouldn't mind getting a quality starting catcher and 2 of the top 5 prospects in all of baseball while freeing up money with Danks gone.

I'd much rather try to move Melky out of the way if we're doing this.

I know this may sound odd, but I'd seriously consider trading AWAY some prospects before I traded Sale or Abreu FOR prospects.

Example... who are the middle infielders most likely the "future" that are in the system? Tim Anderson and Micah Johnson. Both significant prospects, both with intriguing offensive tools. Also, both with big questions about their DEFENSE. This team is horrible defensively already, and guys that will be around for some time are part of the problem. You need to improve defense with any acquisitions, not degrade it. For other teams that are already strong defensively, maybe an Anderson or Johnson are more tantalizing - they therefore have more value for other teams than the Sox. That is a trade signal.

Trade Danks, with Anderson and perhaps one of the pitching prospects (Danish for example), maybe throw in one of the toolsy outfielders (Thompson/Engel/May), in exchange for a SS or 2B with a decent or better bat who fields their position well and is under control for at least a few years. I think that can happen. Its a value proposition, and in the end you have more money to work with, an upgraded defensive MIF player, a rotation slot open for Johnson/Montas/Fulmer (depending on timing), and lose a prospect or two you can't easily use right now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
Trade Danks, with Anderson and perhaps one of the pitching prospects (Danish for example), maybe throw in one of the toolsy outfielders (Thompson/Engel/May), in exchange for a SS or 2B with a decent or better bat who fields their position well and is under control for at least a few years. I think that can happen. Its a value proposition, and in the end you have more money to work with, an upgraded defensive MIF player, a rotation slot open for Johnson/Montas/Fulmer (depending on timing), and lose a prospect or two you can't easily use right now.

FWIW, if I'm taking on Danks even with Anderson I'm not giving you a likely starter back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
FWIW, if I'm taking on Danks even with Anderson I'm not giving you a likely starter back.

Well first off, I'd send money with him. Second, I think you will. The deal is for Anderson and the P & OF (maybe something else too), and you're essentially paying some part of the remaining $20M owed to Danks to get them (maybe $10M?). Anderson alone is worth well more than $10M. Danish and one of those OFs combined worth another $10M or more. You aren't sending me an All Star by any means, but a likely starter, yes.

Maybe you strike a hard bargain, and it becomes Anderson, Danish, Adams and Thompson/Engel/May. Depends on who the return is.

Point is, I have major concerns that the alignment of positions we DO have position player talent who could be starters, the middle infield, are defensive issues (maybe), which is exactly what this particular team doesn't need.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
I know this may sound odd, but I'd seriously consider trading AWAY some prospects before I traded Sale or Abreu FOR prospects.

Example... who are the middle infielders most likely the "future" that are in the system? Tim Anderson and Micah Johnson. Both significant prospects, both with intriguing offensive tools. Also, both with big questions about their DEFENSE. This team is horrible defensively already, and guys that will be around for some time are part of the problem. You need to improve defense with any acquisitions, not degrade it. For other teams that are already strong defensively, maybe an Anderson or Johnson are more tantalizing - they therefore have more value for other teams than the Sox. That is a trade signal.

That would work if Kenny Williams was a GM for another team. They see the same thing we do if not more.

I'd definitely look into moving Abreu. His age and body type are gonna give him a small window as a premier player.

I think the organization needs a complete overhaul, from the top down, which includes a fire sale. Just about ever facet of the organization is broken. It's time to start over.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
Or you could turn them into nothing quite easily.

So, that gets us back to where we are now. The Sox are an awful organization. Fear of change nets us nothing. Let's just be stagnant, continue to suck, watch Sale waste his best years until his arm blows up, watch Abreu get old and fat, and watch Q regress back to mean. The Sox are nowhere near contending. They don't have enough impact players on the farm. Our best prospect is a singles machine that can't field his position. They have to do something.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:35 PM)
So, that gets us back to where we are now. The Sox are an awful organization. Fear of change nets us nothing. Let's just be stagnant, continue to suck, watch Sale waste his best years until his arm blows up, watch Abreu get old and fat, and watch Q regress back to mean. The Sox are nowhere near contending. They don't have enough impact players on the farm. Our best prospect is a singles machine that can't field his position. They have to do something.

Oh it could be worse. We could have no stars and no prospects, which isn't impossible in moves like this.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Technically, they were also moving danks, melky and robertson (along with shark) so they were blowing up payroll.

Yes but moving young cost controlled super stars is not the way to rebuild, especially when we have promising prospects waiting to enhance the club.