2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)
Also like what I'm seeing from Teuvo over the last three games. They got him help and he seems to be flourishing with some talent along side him.

Night and day lately. Hope he keeps it up.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 07:11 PM)
He was not liked by the front office at all.

With this front office & coaching staff, it seems like if you are not liked, you are ushered out the door as quickly as possible. (#FreeMorin, ha) Well, except if you are Patrick Kane and you are too talented to just get rid of

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 09:39 PM)
And in most cases, it's 100% fair to question those types of quick hooks from a front office. With 3 Cups in 6 years and the ability to reload on the fly like they have done, I have to give them the general benefit of the doubt. On top of it, as we all know Darling almost single-handedly saved the Hawks in the playoffs last season.

I really liked Raanta, but after speaking to someone in the know about Raanta, it seemed like it was time to cut bait.

Yet they very rarely pay for those quick hooks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)
Doesn't matter. Think of this as closer to an all-star game than a Hawks Blues game.

If you think this tournament is going to resemble an ASG, then I have a bridge in China to sell you.

The players will want to win this thing.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 4, 2016 -> 11:46 PM)
Correct. Hawks drafted Toews in 2006, and he played for North Dakota in 2007. Happens quite a bit, which obviously is different than other sports. I really like the rule from a developmental standpoint.

Not only a development standpoint, but from a quality of life standpoint. These kids actually have a degree to fall back on if being an athlete doesn't work out. I wish baseball would offer that for position players (Would never be allowed for pitchers).

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
I've never really understood the complaints about all the bandwagon fans. I just don't know how it affects your fandom. Sure it can be a little annoying to see someone get so worked up about a game and know they had no idea the team existed before 2010, but again, it doesn't change my enjoyment of it, so who cares?

Hell, my dad can almost be considered a bangwagon fan in a way. He had season tickets to Hawks for 23 years. He gave them up when I was born, and raised me a Hawks fan. In the late 90's, early 2000's, he gave up on the team because he had enough. I obviously hadn't been through that many years of Blackhawks hockey so I stuck around. I tried to get him to games and told him about the new awesome Arnason-Bell-Calder ABC line and how good Ruutu was going to be, but it didn't take. Then he started hearing about these young kids the Hawks had debuting in Kane and Toews, and I got him out to his first game in years. His 1st game back was the Toews goal against Colorado, and I legit remember the look on his face after he scored the goal, like "Wow, this kid is legit".

Your dad sounds like more of a fair-weather fan, not a bandwagon fan.

And I got no problems with bandwagon fans. I tried for so long to get my friends in to hockey growing up that I'm happy I finally have a group to watch the games with and talk about the team. It's more fun than being the hipster fan by yourself. Plus, the more money the "bandwagon fans" pump in to the team from buying jerseys and merch, the better!

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that it's much harder to go to games now, and when newer fans pretend they have been fans their whole lives, or are diehards. Just own up to it and then it's all good.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)

And I got no problems with bandwagon fans. I tried for so long to get my friends in to hockey growing up that I'm happy I finally have a group to watch the games with and talk about the team. It's more fun than being the hipster fan by yourself. Plus, the more money the "bandwagon fans" pump in to the team from buying jerseys and merch, the better!

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that it's much harder to go to games now, and when newer fans pretend they have been fans their whole lives, or are diehards. Just own up to it and then it's all good.

you made a good point but with ref to Tony's father, i can relate. esp with the sox. i was and still is a die hard fan, going back to 1967 the first game of a newly form team called the STL Blues. i still remember that game. but i was hooked.

during the final days of $$ Bill, it was tough in being a fan, i really lost a lot of interest, but i still stuck around.

the point is, imagine the decade of the 2000-2016 and imagine no WS for the White Sox. how many would have stuck around, spend good money on this team???

also it appears as Tony's father change his priorities in life, to his family. again, i can see many on this board relating.

Other than going to a game, there was literally no way for me to see a Hawks game until I was a Sophmore in high school. That's when we got cable tv. And even then, I don't think they were available without paying a premium for it.

So, I'm a bandwagon fan of the Hawks for sure, but not one in general. I've lived in AZ for the Warner Cardinals, Nash Suns & last year's Cards, and I never went out of my way to watch any of it.

Had the Hawks been available to me as a kid, I would have been a fan. Don't underestimate the impact of Bill Wirtz. Reinsdorf/einhorn made a similar mistake with their tv moves.

I'm not sure what category I fall in. Between following the other sports I care about more and the rest of my life, I just don't have time to be into hockey. I will watch the Hawks in potential clinching/elimination games in the first two rounds of the playoffs and then every game in the conference/cup finals. Other than that all I do check in about once per week to see where they are in the standings and follow this thread.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 5, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
I've never really understood the complaints about all the bandwagon fans. I just don't know how it affects your fandom. Sure it can be a little annoying to see someone get so worked up about a game and know they had no idea the team existed before 2010, but again, it doesn't change my enjoyment of it, so who cares?

Hell, my dad can almost be considered a bangwagon fan in a way. He had season tickets to Hawks for 23 years. He gave them up when I was born, and raised me a Hawks fan. In the late 90's, early 2000's, he gave up on the team because he had enough. I obviously hadn't been through that many years of Blackhawks hockey so I stuck around. I tried to get him to games and told him about the new awesome Arnason-Bell-Calder ABC line and how good Ruutu was going to be, but it didn't take. Then he started hearing about these young kids the Hawks had debuting in Kane and Toews, and I got him out to his first game in years. His 1st game back was the Toews goal against Colorado, and I legit remember the look on his face after he scored the goal, like "Wow, this kid is legit".

Don't anything wrong, here. Mr. Emoji here is very much a bandwagoner.

Krush and I, among others, used to get annoyed. But hell, the bandwagoners have been around for 6 years and have become quite smart. This is a great time to be a Blackhawks fan, and the more the merrier.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Don't anything wrong, here. Mr. Emoji here is very much a bandwagoner.

Krush and I, among others, used to get annoyed. But hell, the bandwagoners have been around for 6 years and have become quite smart. This is a great time to be a Blackhawks fan, and the more the merrier.

Within Soxtalk it is pretty easy. All of the people who were talking about the Hawks when guys like Eric Daze and company were still around are the true fans. Honestly though, it doesn't matter. I love seeing the UC filled every night, and seeing road games where Hawks goals are cheered louder than the home teams goals.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 02:14 AM)
when newer fans pretend they have been fans their whole lives, or are diehards. Just own up to it and then it's all good.

You mean like what you're doing?

Tell me, who was your favorite pre-2007-2008 Chicago Blackhawk and what was your favorite moment involving him?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
Within Soxtalk it is pretty easy. All of the people who were talking about the Hawks when guys like Eric Daze and company were still around are the true fans. Honestly though, it doesn't matter. I love seeing the UC filled every night, and seeing road games where Hawks goals are cheered louder than the home teams goals.

It's amazing. I just find it comical that someone in this thread considers himself a non-bandwagoner when there's no evidence to support that.