2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
Personally I love to watch the Hawks play in the Olympics/World Cup, but I will be furious if Chris Sale ever throws a single pitch in a World Baseball Classic.

Which is kind of funny, because the White Sox aren't likely to win it all with or without Sale, but a loss like Toews or Kane could derail the Blackhawks "dynasty"

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
Is there any statistical correlation between this event and increased injury risk vs their normal routine?

Assuming that international play is the same intensity as an NHL game, the odds of getting injured in any one game are roughly the same.

So yes, there is absolutely an increase in likelihood of injury. The reality is, however, because the NHL is behind the World Cup of Hockey, it will likely stay, but Olympic hockey will likely end for NHL players.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
Which is kind of funny, because the White Sox aren't likely to win it all with or without Sale, but a loss like Toews or Kane could derail the Blackhawks "dynasty"

The odds of a significant injury to Sale's left arm are far greater than a significant injury to one of the Blackhawks, especially when the World Cup is held 7 months before the playoffs start.

Any injury risk is mitigated by the fun and intensity of the hockey tournaments. The players really care about winning and it shows, which makes it so entertaining. Whereas the World Baseball Classic seems like a farce from day one.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
Assuming that international play is the same intensity as an NHL game, the odds of getting injured in any one game are roughly the same.

So yes, there is absolutely an increase in likelihood of injury. The reality is, however, because the NHL is behind the World Cup of Hockey, it will likely stay, but Olympic hockey will likely end for NHL players.

It isn't the same at NHL play though. The game is a TON less physical. There is little to no real hitting.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:28 AM)
Personally I love to watch the Hawks play in the Olympics/World Cup, but I will be furious if Chris Sale ever throws a single pitch in a World Baseball Classic.

If the world cup of hockey was as lame/tepid as the wbc was, then I'd fully be on board with telling them to skip.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
Well the good news is 1. The WCOH is going to be great 2. Toews and Kane will be playing 3. The Blackhawks will still be great.

We all win. Well, almost all of us win.

Whatever, dude. If any Hawk gets hurt, we all lose.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
It isn't the same at NHL play though. The game is a TON less physical. There is little to no real hitting.

You realize these games will be played on NHL rinks, not International size, right?

International play is less physical because of the extra 15 feet on the sides.

QUOTE (soxfan18 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 01:24 PM)
You realize these games will be played on NHL rinks, not International size, right?

International play is less physical because of the extra 15 feet on the sides.

Doesn't matter. Think of this as closer to an all-star game than a Hawks Blues game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
Based on your posts the players will actually get healthier

Congrats, Brent, on being a slow forward who is continually bailed out by a stellar goaltending effort.

Tell us more about Brent Seabrook's spectacular defense he's being paid insane money for.

I'll wait.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
Congrats, Brent, on being a slow forward who is continually bailed out by a stellar goaltending effort.

Tell us more about Brent Seabrook's spectacular defense he's being paid insane money for.

I'll wait.

LOL, im still waiting on the blackhawks to be a contender.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
LOL, im still waiting on the blackhawks to be a contender.

I said the team with one scoring line wasn't a contender. I was 100% correct. The team has been reconstructed since.

Still waiting on your answer about Seabrook's defense.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
I said the team with one scoring line wasn't a contender. I was 100% correct. The team has been reconstructed since.

They say the best defense is a good offense.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)

Keep waiting, anyone who has been around more than a couple of months knows I despise Seabrook.

But still based on your track record, whatever you post the opposite becomes very likely to happen, so I am all about him improving.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 06:02 PM)
They say the best defense is a good offense.

Meh, the best "defense" is having Corey Crawford bail you out. Seabrook is particularly disappointing considering he doesn't even play opponents' top players anymore.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 2, 2016 -> 09:38 PM)
Or the league's 2nd best goalie this season has been saving the defense's ass?

Crawford's been good, but no goalie can save a team with 2 good defensemen and 4 medicore ones. Seabrook has been good. Not great, just good

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 06:07 PM)
Meh, the best "defense" is having Corey Crawford bail you out. Seabrook is particularly disappointing considering he doesn't even play opponents' top players anymore.

Could that be because Keith and Hjalmarsson are just better? Just because you're not as good as those two doesn't make you s***